Poll

Wood and Cavalli are with the Nats & we hold 3rd WC by a game on 7/23. What should the Nats do?

Tank! Sell any vet not under control after 2025. Restock. Target is a long term rebuild.
5 (18.5%)
Selective selling of FAs you can replace internally. E.g., Floro for Ribalta, Law for Ferrer, etc...
10 (37%)
Promote appropriately but otherwise hold tight and give the squad a chance.
8 (29.6%)
Try a Candelario trade in reverse to plug a weakness (1B) - say Made and Rutledge
3 (11.1%)
Go for it. Lots of CFs coming. Trade a Lile / Hassell / Vaquero and go for WC.
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 30, 2024, 12:27:53 PM

Author Topic: Change of plans - At what point would you push for a wild card in 2024?  (Read 14161 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Anthony Rendon ain't walking through that door.  There is only one option I know to improve the hitting on this years team, and he is currently in the witness protection program in Rochester.   
Lol, hardly.

Brent Rooker and Vlad Guerro Jr could be easily traded for, and would greatly improve the offense.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
Anthony Rendon ain't walking through that door.  There is only one option I know to improve the hitting on this years team, and he is currently in the witness protection program in Rochester.

All true, but the pitching is in ok shape, as long as Doo sticks around.  The Lerners will spend $50 million next year on Max, Corbin, and Stras not to pitch so very good news that an FA starter is not needed. 

Wood will not be enough, one Jayson Werth-style bat for 1B/DH will be needed as well, especially because Wood will need time to develop in the best of circumstances.  The defense at catcher is also a problem that won't get resolved, but not sure it will stop the team from finishing over .500, which is pretty much all you need now to fight for a playoff spot.

Offline Senatorswin

All true, but the pitching is in ok shape, as long as Doo sticks around.  The Lerners will spend $50 million next year on Max, Corbin, and Stras not to pitch so very good news that an FA starter is not needed. 

Wood will not be enough, one Jayson Werth-style bat for 1B/DH will be needed as well, especially because Wood will need time to develop in the best of circumstances.  The defense at catcher is also a problem that won't get resolved, but not sure it will stop the team from finishing over .500, which is pretty much all you need now to fight for a playoff spot.

From what I read in 2025 Max will get $15 million in 2025, Stras $10 million and Corbin $10 million. If true that $15 million dollar difference would get a nice first baseman if one is available.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
this is really more about 2024 and whether at some point you would push for the WC and how hard.

There's actually a 2025 thread already.
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=41413.0

Offline Natsinpwc

From what I read in 2025 Max will get $15 million in 2025, Stras $10 million and Corbin $10 million. If true that $15 million dollar difference would get a nice first baseman if one is available.
And exactly $0 counts against the luxury tax calculations. They should have plenty of money to spend from all the savings they have garnered through the deferrals.

Offline Slateman

And exactly $0 counts against the luxury tax calculations. They should have plenty of money to spend from all the savings they have garnered through the deferrals.
Still counts against how much has to be paid. The Lerners arent just cutting to stay under the luxury tax.

Offline Natsinpwc

Still counts against how much has to be paid. The Lerners arent just cutting to stay under the luxury tax.
They have the money. They were probably making ten percent a year in the deferrals. How much would that be?  The Ponzi scheme has ended I suppose.  These folks are wealthy and they are making money from the Nats each year in addition to their other businesses and investments.  There is no wealth tax.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
A fortune built on saturating the land with Guess jeans and Members Only jackets...and we thought Volkswagen and IG Farben had skeletons in the closet 
They have the money. They were probably making ten percent a year in the deferrals. How much would that be?  The Ponzi scheme has ended I suppose.  These folks are wealthy and they are making money from the Nats each year in addition to their other businesses and investments.  There is no wealth tax.

Offline Natsinpwc

A fortune built on saturating the land with Guess jeans and Members Only jackets...and we thought Volkswagen and IG Farben had skeletons in the closet
Don’t forget Cinnabon and Auntie Anne’s.

Offline IanRubbish

Deadline deals were modest even when the team was good.  Mostly relievers and Howie Kendrick.  Most significant prospect for vet in the good years was Giolito for Eaton but that was offseason.

https://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2021/07/nationals-trade-deadline-deals-through-the-years/

Offline Slateman

We traded Jesus Luzardo for Sean Doolittle mid-season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Deadline deals were modest even when the team was good.  Mostly relievers and Howie Kendrick.  Most significant prospect for vet in the good years was Giolito for Eaton but that was offseason.

https://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2021/07/nationals-trade-deadline-deals-through-the-years/
Asdrubal Cabrera in 2019 was a pretty big pick up.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Wood, Cavalli, and Gray should get us in the playoffs with the big assumption that the other teams all stay at the same pace. The Mets are going to be looking to dump Pete Alonso in July. He'll be owed $7 million with just two months left on his contract, he'd sure have an impact.

Offline Natsinpwc

Wood, Cavalli, and Gray should get us in the playoffs with the big assumption that the other teams all stay at the same pace. The Mets are going to be looking to dump Pete Alonso in July. He'll be owed $7 million with just two months left on his contract, he'd sure have an impact.
Just don’t see it. I believe the Cubs, Padres, DBacks and maybe the Reds will finish above .500. Add in the Braves and it seems a mission to mediocrity and a middling draft pick.  The farm system is still thin. Bad long term strategy to trade off prospects fora couple months of a player.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
1 back.
Nats are 4 under 500 with 5 games coming up Tigers and Marlins. 4-1 would put WC back in conversation. Still should not trade for help, but promotions, demotions, releases, and better roster structure should be on the table.

Offline aspenbubba

Nats are 4 under 500 with 5 games coming up Tigers and Marlins. 4-1 would put WC back in conversation. Still should not trade for help, but promotions, demotions, releases, and better roster structure should be on the table.
Agree, but there are only 3 teams in the NL worse than the Nats.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Agree, but there are only 3 teams in the NL worse than the Nats.
there really are only ateam or two that's eliminated in the nl. Just takesa hot streak to shake things up. Nats still are probably sellers, pick up 8 to 10 games on .500 before the 4th, and it's shaken up.

Offline Natsinpwc

there really are only ateam or two that's eliminated

Doesn’t that actually decrease the odds for the Nats?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Doesn’t that actually decrease the odds for the Nats?
yes.

Offline Slateman

Finnegan is going to be the best reliever on the market. I just dont know how Rizzo can justify not trading him, unless you're going to really go for it this season.

Which leads me back to either we are going to shoot our shot here, and if so, Rizzo needs to make moves, or we're still rebuilding, in which case, we're selling everything not nailed down.

Offline IanRubbish

Everyone in the NL besides the Marlins and Rockies is fighting for playoff spots.  Can’t see a scenario even around .500 where we would start to give up anyone who isn’t on a one year contract.  Moreover, Pete Alonso is Boras and a rental.  If he were to come here it would be a Jayson Werth kind of deal in the offseason and Boras will be very careful not to mess any comps that could impact Soto.

Offline IanRubbish

Stras gets $23.6m next year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Stras gets $23.6m next year.

Is that after his retirement renegotiation?

Offline IanRubbish

Is that after his retirement renegotiation?

Those terms weren't released but he gets interest, so doubt they changed it too much.  The Nats are not the Dodgers, there's only so much they can defer.