Author Topic: The Injuries Thread: 2023 Edition  (Read 7896 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Injuries Thread: 2023 Edition
« Topic Start: February 16, 2023, 06:02:00 PM »
Starting off with a Rainey update:

Rainey is in a throwing program after undergoing Tommy John surgery on Aug. 3. There is no timeframe for his return, with manager Dave Martinez noting, “We’ve still got a long way to go with him.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Injuries Thread: 2023 Edition
« Reply #1: February 22, 2023, 08:52:41 AM »
All position players except Carter Kieboom, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, have been cleared for game action.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/dave-martinez-excited-at-first-full-squad-workout-of-spring

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2: February 26, 2023, 03:28:39 PM »
Zach Brzykcy has been shut down 2-4 weeks with a forearm strain, bringing at least a temporary halt to the reliever’s first big league camp.

Brzykcy was throwing to live hitters earlier this week when he felt discomfort, according to Martinez. He went to get an MRI, which revealed the forearm strain, which required the shutdown.

Martinez said there’s no concern about Brzykcy’s elbow at this point, saying the injury is confined to the forearm.

The 23-year-old right-hander, an undrafted 2020 signee from Virginia Tech, had a 1.76 ERA and 14 saves between Single-A Wilmington and Double-A Harrisburg last season, earning his first invitation to big league camp. He’s not a serious candidate to make the Opening Day roster, but he is among the young pitchers the organization was curious to watch this spring.

“Like I told him: ‘We know what you can do, so let’s get your strength back, get you back tossing and we’ll get you on the mound as soon as we can,’” Martinez said. “‘But if you keep throwing strikes, your future’s bright here. Believe me, you didn’t have to impress me here. I’ve seen what you can do. You’re coming off a really good year, so let’s get you healthy and get you back.’”

Offline imref

« Reply #3: March 01, 2023, 03:06:54 PM »
Derek Hill (hamstring) and Stone Garrett (groin) checking in early.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: March 01, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »
Like 8 dudes got hurt today. One for every interview with the Yankees

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: March 04, 2023, 01:00:07 PM »
Derek Hill (hamstring) and Stone Garrett (groin) checking in early.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-injuries-and-roster-moves

Confirms Hill has a hamstring strain. mid-hamstring per davey.  Grade 1 to Grade 2. No time line for recovery but the Nats are "optimistic" because it is not by the glute or the knee.

Same article says Tetrault is throwing but not off the mound yet. Throwing off the mound s/b within 2 weeks.

Nothing new on Bryzkcy. Been a week since they said he would be shut down for 2-4 weeks to deal with a forearm strain.

Offline imref

« Reply #6: March 04, 2023, 01:59:50 PM »
any news on Cole Henry?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: March 04, 2023, 02:33:48 PM »
any news on Cole Henry?
the google machine is not helping.  Last detail discussion I saw was the Post article in the Henry Follow the Prospects farm thread.

Offline imref

« Reply #8: March 05, 2023, 12:16:20 PM »
Bobby Blanco
@Bobby_Blanco
Carter Kieboom suffered a setback in his recovery from Tommy John, per Davey Martinez. He has soreness in his right shoulder, not his elbow. The Nats are slowing him down for a couple of days and will try to get him in some sim games soon. Just bothers his throwing, not hitting.

Online Slateman

« Reply #9: March 05, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »
C&D saying Doolittle won't be ready for OD

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #10: March 05, 2023, 06:26:36 PM »
C&D saying Doolittle won't be ready for OD

Is it setbacks or just a longer rehab than originally expected? I know he's recovering from a somewhat experimental surgery

Online Slateman

« Reply #11: March 05, 2023, 10:31:54 PM »
Didnt say. I find it strange because it was just days ago that it was reported that Doolittle was scaling back because was getting ready for the season too early.

When was the last time this team returned a player from a major injury/surgery without complications?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: March 06, 2023, 11:51:52 AM »
Didnt say. I find it strange because it was just days ago that it was reported that Doolittle was scaling back because was getting ready for the season too early.

When was the last time this team returned a player from a major injury/surgery without complications?
sounds like from this quote when they dialed him back they were conceding he would not be ready for Opening Day. I don't think what C&D said is a new development.

Washington lacked left-handed relievers in the bullpen a year ago, especially after Sean Doolittle went down in April with an elbow sprain. Doolittle’s health remains a question mark as he comes off an internal brace procedure. Manager Dave Martinez said Tuesday that Doolittle might not be ready for Opening Day. Washington wants to slow Doolittle down and build strength in his arm so he’s fully healthy when he returns.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/28/evan-lee-jackson-tetreault-nationals-spring-training/

camerato last Tuesday was saying pretty much the same thing in her projected OD roster update.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: March 07, 2023, 08:26:28 AM »
Pineda has a right pinky tip that was HBP Saturday. Martinez says he can still throw but has some pain.  He is likely ticketed for AAA to get consistent at bats and be available if Ruiz or Adams are hurt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/06/matt-cronin-sean-doolittle-nationals-spring-training/

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: March 08, 2023, 01:29:35 PM »
Placeholder for Robles

Offline imref

« Reply #15: March 14, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
Holding spot for Cavalli.

Well, on the brightside, if there was ever a year for him to miss for TJ, this is it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: March 14, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
and we wonder why his major negative in prospect reviews was health and risk that he'd eventually only be a reliever. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #17: March 14, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
and we wonder why his major negative in prospect reviews was health and risk that he'd eventually only be a reliever. 
Thats all Rizzo drafts though. Bunch of high risk, high reward guys. Hence why we had to trade away Scherzer, Turner, and Soto.

Offline imref

« Reply #18: March 14, 2023, 04:27:29 PM »
Per Davey: Cavalli felt "something behind his elbow", MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: March 14, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
Per Davey: Cavalli felt "something behind his elbow", MRI scheduled for tomorrow.
guessing they will call it a flexor tendon strain and he will shut down for 6 weeks before trying to work his way back, only to then have it diagnosed as a UCL. At least it isn't TOS.

Online Slateman

« Reply #20: March 14, 2023, 04:56:19 PM »
So he loses this season. Which puts him on an innings limit in 2024. Which means, at best, he is full go in 2025.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: March 14, 2023, 04:59:39 PM »
So he loses this season. Which puts him on an innings limit in 2024. Which means, at best, he is full go in 2025.

<-------perfect timing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: March 15, 2023, 08:53:59 AM »
Arano shut down with a right shoulder impingement.

Arano has been shut down from throwing, and he will be re-evaluated in 10 days. He has not appeared in a game since March 3. “A little concerning,” manager Dave Martinez said of the injury.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-injuries-and-roster-moves

Phrases I'm beginning to hate: "Shoulder / neck impingement," "felt something in his elbow area," "shoulder soreness," "shut down for a few days," "awaiting the results of an MRI," ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: March 15, 2023, 10:25:30 AM »

Shoulder impingement syndrome is a painful condition of the upper extremity resulting from a structural narrowing of the subacromial space.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554518/

This is a direct cause of rotator cuff tendon injury.  Since I have recent experience in the area...   :lol:  there are two main areas of thought in how to remedy.

1- Traditional physical therapy to both strengthen the muscle/tendon (1 of 4 is primarily the problem here), but even more importantly to strengthen the back muscles around the scapula and shoulder area which often are weaker than the front (pectorals etc).  You see a lot of gym rats with impressive bench press capabilities that have their shoulders sort of hunched forward, which results in the shoulder being at the front of the socket.  This aggravates the rubbing against the acoacromial arch.  So this traditional therapy aims to stretch out the front muscles and simultaneously strengthen the rear muscles to move the arm ball back in the joint just a bit.  If you have that hunched forward poor posture - this is you (and me).

2- More recently there is a progressive school of thinking that passive hanging will stretch out the acoarcromial arch to where it belongs, providing additional space for the rotator cuff tendons to pass underneath.  I've been doing this since my injury and it can be a real help to reduce or eliminate the friction.  For nearly all humans, because we give up hanging sometime after elementary school playground time, this joint settles down until impingement occurs.  So nearly all of us would benefit by passive hanging. 

This strategy was identified and described by Dr. John M. Kirsch, MD, who literally wrote the book on the subject.  If you go to YouTube you'll find dozens of videos by physical therapists describing the simple exercise, all based on Kirch's work.  So easy to do if you have a chin-up bar left over from when the kids were in the house. 

1- Passive hanging directly

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #24: March 15, 2023, 12:25:48 PM »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554518/

This is a direct cause of rotator cuff tendon injury.  Since I have recent experience in the area...   :lol:  there are two main areas of thought in how to remedy.

1- Traditional physical therapy to both strengthen the muscle/tendon (1 of 4 is primarily the problem here), but even more importantly to strengthen the back muscles around the scapula and shoulder area which often are weaker than the front (pectorals etc).  You see a lot of gym rats with impressive bench press capabilities that have their shoulders sort of hunched forward, which results in the shoulder being at the front of the socket.  This aggravates the rubbing against the acoacromial arch.  So this traditional therapy aims to stretch out the front muscles and simultaneously strengthen the rear muscles to move the arm ball back in the joint just a bit.  If you have that hunched forward poor posture - this is you (and me).

2- More recently there is a progressive school of thinking that passive hanging will stretch out the acoarcromial arch to where it belongs, providing additional space for the rotator cuff tendons to pass underneath.  I've been doing this since my injury and it can be a real help to reduce or eliminate the friction.  For nearly all humans, because we give up hanging sometime after elementary school playground time, this joint settles down until impingement occurs.  So nearly all of us would benefit by passive hanging. 

This strategy was identified and described by Dr. John M. Kirsch, MD, who literally wrote the book on the subject.  If you go to YouTube you'll find dozens of videos by physical therapists describing the simple exercise, all based on Kirch's work.  So easy to do if you have a chin-up bar left over from when the kids were in the house. 

1- Passive hanging directly

No idea about the science behind it but I have a pull-up bar in my home office and it feels amazing to just dead hang off of it every now and then.