22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122803 times)

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #1250: January 15, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Serious question...sometimes all of this comes down to fit.  Put yourself in Bryce's position at your job.  You have a few destinations to spend the next ten years +.  Would you really choose Philly?  You can live in DC, or Philly.  Seriously.  It would have to be a significant upgrade for me to choose Philly over DC.  Now if you're throwing LA, NY, or even Chicago into the mix, those locales might have more going for them than DC.  But Philly?  Maybe it doesn't matter to a superstar athlete, since they don't live the same life as you and I. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1251: January 15, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
Serious question...sometimes all of this comes down to fit.  Put yourself in Bryce's position at your job.  You have a few destinations to spend the next ten years +.  Would you really choose Philly?  You can live in DC, or Philly.  Seriously.  It would have to be a significant upgrade for me to choose Philly over DC.  Now if you're throwing LA, NY, or even Chicago into the mix, those locales might have more going for them than DC.  But Philly?  Maybe it doesn't matter to a superstar athlete, since they don't live the same life as you and I.

Does the city actually matter for a baseball player? These guys are on the road half the season and can live wherever they want in the offseason. In reality, they only have to spend 3 months in the team's city. I imagine it hinges on organization and money.

Plus, Philadelphia is actually a decent city.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1252: January 15, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »

Whatever suburb he ends up living in probably has an equivalent in every major city in the country

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1253: January 15, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
Does the city actually matter for a baseball player? These guys are on the road half the season and can live wherever they want in the offseason. In reality, they only have to spend 3 months in the team's city. I imagine it hinges on organization and money.

Yeah, I think this is true. It's ugliest face gazes on the major North-South routes, so everyone thinks it's a complete pit. And the fans are horrible people. That part you can't argue. :D

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1254: January 15, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »
Bryce's knees will be shot and he'll be moved to 1B when Trout is ready.  :lol:
I don't think there's any way the Phillies would sign both because they want to go big time after Eagles fan Trout when he becomes a free agent in 2021. I would not like to see Trout in a Phillies uniform.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1255: January 15, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »

Yep   ....   'burbs are decent as well.    It's the damn fans.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1256: January 15, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »

not an enormous deal for most. it matters for some dudes but not really on a large scale unless a player just loves the beach (so loves SD) or loves a big jungle like nyc, or is a huge fan of florida weather, or something.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1257: January 15, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
Yeah, I think this is true. It's ugliest face gazes on the major North-South routes, so everyone thinks it's a complete pit. And the fans are horrible people. That part you can't argue. :D
Just jealous cause a DC fan couldn’t do this.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1258: January 15, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »
They should be checking their cell phones for work messages like those in DC.  :hysterical:

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1259: January 15, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »

Yup. Philly is a great city with lots going on. It just happens that the sports fans in Philly are awful, seriously awful. The people who don't really get out of the burbs (cough, me, cough) and those who don't care for sports make Eastern PA a wonderful place to live.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1260: January 15, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
They should be checking their cell phones for work messages like those in DC.  :hysterical:

Not me bro.    :)     I don't usually take a phone to the Park.    You must mean G'burg.     :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1261: January 15, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
Yup. Philly is a great city with lots going on. It just happens that the sports fans in Philly are awful, seriously awful. The people who don't really get out of the burbs (cough, me, cough) and those who don't care for sports make Eastern PA a wonderful place to live.

I'm a history buff and could roam around E. PA a long time and not get my fix.   

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #1262: January 15, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »
I kind of want to see Harper hit .211 and constantly lazy trot to first in Philly and see how the fans react.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1263: January 15, 2019, 03:03:30 PM »
I kind of want to see Harper hit .211 and constantly lazy trot to first in Philly and see how the fans react.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1264: January 15, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »

I think most players move their families to the city where they're playing so that would have to be considered. Does he want to raise his family in Philly or its suburbs? I don't know the city well enough, and I sure as hell don't know what his family's priorities are.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1265: January 15, 2019, 04:32:55 PM »
per this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/phillies-reportedly-will-not-sign-both-bryce-harper-manny-machado.html the Phillies have made it clear to both Machado and Harper that they won't sign both of them.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1266: January 15, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
I think most players move their families to the city where they're playing so that would have to be considered. Does he want to raise his family in Philly or its suburbs? I don't know the city well enough, and I sure as hell don't what his family's priorities are.

Beautiful 'burbs (The "Main Line").  Fine private schools. Not sure of the Mormon presence.  If that matters to him, DC's got it all over Philly.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1267: January 15, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
per this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/phillies-reportedly-will-not-sign-both-bryce-harper-manny-machado.html the Phillies have made it clear to both Machado and Harper that they won't sign both of them.

Well of course they say that during negotiation.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1268: January 15, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Phillies are making Harper his official offer now...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1269: January 15, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
Just jealous cause a DC fan couldn’t do this.

I'm sitting here minding my own business and you bring me into this? :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1270: January 15, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »
That was a hechuva snag.  You have to admit it.   :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1271: January 15, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
Phillies are making Harper his official offer now...
They should do this live on national TV.  Joe Buck could announce it. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1272: January 15, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
That was a hechuva snag.  You have to admit it.   :)

I could've done it. (yeah right says the wife). :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1273: January 15, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »

I wasn't confused at all.    Natsinpwc called out "a" DC fan.    You are the DC Fan.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1274: January 15, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
I wasn't confused at all.    Natsinpwc called out "a" DC fan.    You are the DC Fan.

I'd have smacked him but we got our orders - no touching. :crackup:

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2019-01-15/catholics-encouraged-to-avoid-touching-communion-curtailed-as-flu-spreads