Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jarlin Susana, RHP  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Follow the Prospects: Jarlin Susana, RHP
« Reply #25: August 31, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »
Not that he's any authority or anything but Jim Bowden placed Susana at #28 on his top 50 prospect list.

Hassell #7, Wood #18, Green #25, Susana #28, Cavalli #48.
Only thing keeping me a bit down on Susana is the reports made it sound like Bell-Susana was almost an addition to the trade.

A top 50 prospect for a half season of Josh Bell is highway robbery in the era of teams overvaluing prospects. Maybe there are serious injury concerns due to the fact pitchers with cool names and 100+ mph pitches usually don't work out.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #26: August 31, 2022, 01:15:22 PM »
Susana starts tonight for Fredericksburg.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: September 01, 2022, 09:38:08 AM »
Susana starts tonight for Fredericksburg.

3IP, 2H, 1R, 3BB, 4K including striking out Jackson Holliday.

Online welch

« Reply #28: September 01, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »
3IP, 2H, 1R, 3BB, 4K including striking out Jackson Holliday.

Consistent 100, 102, 103, sometimes dropped to a mere 99 mph. Working on breaking stuff, which gets misses on 91 mph slider, and 87 mph something. The slider and such do not snap like those of an experienced major leaguer, but Delmarva hitters tied themselves up. Seemed like good control on his fastball ("or there would be dead bodies all over Idaho", said the congressman who told the Senators to look at a kid named Walter Johnson)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: September 01, 2022, 10:28:17 AM »
Should be fun to watch him get injured and constantly deal with arm issues

Offline imref

« Reply #30: September 01, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »
Should be fun to watch him get injured and constantly deal with arm issues

:|

Offline Monarch

« Reply #31: September 01, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »
Should be fun to watch him get paid, injured and constantly deal with arm issues

Fixed it for you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: September 01, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »
Just get the TJS now.

Online welch

« Reply #33: September 01, 2022, 01:43:09 PM »
Must Susana get Tommy John surgery? I rooted for the Mets and then the Yankees in the 1970s, but don't remember Tom Seaver or Ron Guidry needing TJS. Is it a current problem, or is this just expecting the worst so anything less than worst is good? Of the current big three minor league pitchers, neither Cavalli, nor Henry, nor Rutledge have had TJS, at least as best I can remember.

Overall, the Nats have been careful with the arms of their young pitchers, so maybe the organization will take equal care of Susana. He only pitched three innings on Wednesday...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: September 01, 2022, 01:50:48 PM »
Must Susana get Tommy John surgery? I rooted for the Mets and then the Yankees in the 1970s, but don't remember Tom Seaver or Ron Guidry needing TJS. Is it a current problem, or is this just expecting the worst so anything less than worst is good? Of the current big three minor league pitchers, neither Cavalli, nor Henry, nor Rutledge have had TJS, at least as best I can remember.

Overall, the Nats have been careful with the arms of their young pitchers, so maybe the organization will take equal care of Susana. He only pitched three innings on Wednesday...
I think the first surgery on Tommy John of course was mid 1970s?  Back then if your UCL tore your career was over.

I think it’s more of a problem now because these kids start pitching year round at a young age. Not like the old days when athletes only played ball in the summer.  They also generally were not throwing quite as hard although there were a couple exceptions. I think Seaver had just the greatest delivery. All leg drive with that one knee scraping the ground. 

https://www.teamsnap.com/community/sports-science/sports-science-for-high-performance-athletes/dramatic-increase-in-tommy-john-surgeries-for-teen-baseball-pitchers-due-to

Online Slateman

« Reply #35: September 01, 2022, 01:57:13 PM »

Did Tom Seaver throw 102 mph? No. Its not natural and he's not gonna last. Hunter Greene, Noah Syndergaard, deGrom, Strider .... all had it and are all touching triple digits at one point or another. Theres no way he avoids it.

Rutledge missed almost an entire season with a shoulder injury.
Henry hasnt had a healthy, full year since high school. His injuries now include an elbow sprain and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

Cavalli has mostly been healthy

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: September 01, 2022, 02:02:08 PM »
He may or may not ned it a some point, but you don't put him under the knife until he actually needs it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: September 01, 2022, 02:09:25 PM »
He may or may not ned it a some point, but you don't put him under the knife until he actually needs it.
I’m trying to be progressive. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #38: September 01, 2022, 02:12:21 PM »
If we do it proactively, can we use some sort of super strong, smart fiber?

Offline imref

« Reply #39: September 07, 2022, 10:55:48 PM »
4IP, 6Ks, 1H, 1BB, 1ER tonight.  Most impressive: 66 pitches, 43 strikes.

Jim Bowden is happy.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: September 09, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
Nationals: Jarlin Susana, RHP (No. 8)
The Nats acquired five young players (plus Luke Voit) in the Juan Soto/Josh Bell blockbuster, and of those five, Susana might be the biggest wild card. That aside, he also has his own significant ceiling, as he’s shown since the Deadline deal went down. To wit, his first Single-A inning ended on a 103 mph fastball. The 18-year-old right-hander owns a 2.30 ERA with 22 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings between Fredericksburg and the Florida Complex League through his first five starts as a Washington prospect.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hottest-pitching-prospects-september-2022

Article is on the hottest pitching prospect for each MLB organization.  THE "No. 8" refers to rank in the Nats system.

Online welch

« Reply #42: September 14, 2022, 11:51:22 AM »
Starts tonight against Lynchburg in game 2 of the Fred Nats' playoffs.

Offline imref

« Reply #43: September 14, 2022, 12:55:08 PM »
Starts tonight against Lynchburg in game 2 of the Fred Nats' playoffs.
tomorrow

Offline imref

« Reply #44: September 16, 2022, 12:06:47 AM »
Don't cry for him, but Susana was awful tonight. Just 0.1 IP, 1H, 4BB, 1K, 4ER, WP, 29 pitches, 11 strikes. The one hit was a double.

His night:
- Walked the first 3 batters on 14 pitches
- Strikeout
- WP - run scored
- Walk
- 3R double
- Shower

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #45: September 16, 2022, 06:44:19 AM »
Don't cry for him, but Susana was awful tonight. Just 0.1 IP, 1H, 4BB, 1K, 4ER, WP, 29 pitches, 11 strikes. The one hit was a double.

His night:
- Walked the first 3 batters on 14 pitches
- Strikeout
- WP - run scored
- Walk
- 3R double
- Shower

I heard from a reliable source that the Nats FO dictated that he start the game and not anyone connected to the F’ burg Nats. Sounds like shades of Adon when he wasnt ready for the show. I also will weigh in on Gore being allowed to pitch in some rehab games when it serves no valid physical purpose.

Online Slateman

« Reply #46: September 16, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
I heard from a reliable source that the Nats FO dictated that he start the game and not anyone connected to the F’ burg Nats. Sounds like shades of Adon when he wasnt ready for the show. I also will weigh in on Gore being allowed to pitch in some rehab games when it serves no valid physical purpose.
He is a Fredericksburg National. But yes, I could see the front office wanting him to start in a somewhat pressure filled situation.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: September 16, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »
So I’m not clear. What’s the issue with him starting?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #48: September 16, 2022, 09:55:42 AM »
So I’m not clear. What’s the issue with him starting?
fed to wolves