Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 118447 times)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Re: Define Natitude: That's how we play
« Reply #1325: September 07, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
I 100% agree, make no mistake about it. 

But they're 30+ games under .500 and frustrated; on top of that, their previous three games against us were ass-kickings.  Just trying to understand where they're coming from.

They were also winning at the time, should be noted.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1327: September 07, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »

That's how we play.

And that's how we should play - especially after playing lifeless baseball for the past six years.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1328: September 07, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
The Cubs are a bunch of babies.
My cousin (who lives in WV and who does not watch baseball) just texted me after seeing the incident while at the gym. He had no context with no sound or close captioning. I tell him what happened and he replies "So it comes down to one team being a bunch of whiny babies" :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1329: September 07, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

:roll:

1-0.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1330: September 07, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I 100% agree, make no mistake about it. 

But they're 30+ games under .500 and frustrated; on top of that, their previous three games against us were ass-kickings.  Just trying to understand where they're coming from.

Actually the first meeting on Monday was only a 2-1 result (http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=3209031200 - against Samardzija, the only Cubs pitcher to register a win against us this season (in the finale of our visit to Wrigley in April).

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #1331: September 07, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »
Look how far we've come!!!

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #1332: September 07, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
:roll:

1-0.

I don't get it.  The Nats have the best record in baseball, but the team with the 4th best record is behind them and had already won.  Trying not to score runs to be nice is stupid, 85 wins on 9/7 is awesome, but the division lead is by no means insurmountable.  I have no idea how there could be a negative point of view of manufacturing a run.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1333: September 07, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »

Actually they haven't been - the sweep here yesterday extended their current losing streak to 6 (they had dropped two to the Giants going into this series), and the only series they've won in all of August and September were two-out-of-three each in home series against the pitiful Astros and Rockies.

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #1334: September 07, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »
Actually they haven't been - the sweep here yesterday extended their current losing streak to 6 (they had dropped two to the Giants going into this series), and the only series they've won in all of August and September were two-out-of-three each in home series against the pitiful Astros and Rockies.

I meant they were winning 1-0 when Bryce got a triple.  For the record, I don't think the Cubs were actually bothered by that, it probably bubbled up only after the Nats opened up a lead.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1335: September 07, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
I don't get it.  The Nats have the best record in baseball, but the team with the 4th best record is behind them and had already won.  Trying not to score runs to be nice is stupid, 85 wins on 9/7 is awesome, but the division lead is by no means insurmountable.  I have no idea how there could be a negative point of view of manufacturing a run.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I liked Bryce's hustle and saw no problem with it - I just thought I saw something in the body language of the Cubs' left-filder that suggested to me he was a bit peeved and perceived it as being shown up or taken advantage of.  That's all.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1336: September 07, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Nathan Fenno ‏@nathanfenno
Loved Ryan Zimmerman's advice to @RGIII: "Throw to Fred Davis." The #Redskins' TE is on Zimmerman's fantasy team. #Nats

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1337: September 07, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Look how far we've come!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice shot of Werth getting in there to keep Harper out of trouble.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1338: September 07, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
I honestly don't understand any of this.

In no other professional sport is it "expected" to take your foot off the gas - ever. Maybe a college team winning by 70 points in the 2nd half will stop passing the ball. But why on earth should a professional team stop playing - ever? And why on earth should the other team "expect" you to do so?

I get it's an "unwritten" rule that you stop stealing, etc., but I have to say that particular unwritten rule is pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard. And when does hustling and competing and trying to score equal "showing up your opponent" ?

It's so damn stupid. We were the WORST team in baseball for YEARS; a total laughingstock. We took our beatings. We sucked it up when your fans were in our stadium taunting us when we lost (and yes, Cubs fans did that too).  Well now we're in a pennant race and it's not our job to make you feel good about you. You certainly didn't give a crap how we felt when you were kicking our ass.

It's just so damn stupid

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1339: September 07, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »

Zim immediately stepped in too

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1340: September 07, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
I think they were trying to find some reasonable explanation for Quirk's actions. I would say that the Cubs announcers didn't think the Nats actions in themselves warranted an outburst by Quirk.

Yet they spent the entire time nagging about how Porter should have been ejected for walking over there.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #1341: September 07, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

Zim immediately stepped in too

To me, that's what #Natitude is all about!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1342: September 07, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with you - I liked Bryce's hustle and saw no problem with it - I just thought I saw something in the body language of the Cubs' left-filder that suggested to me he was a bit peeved and perceived it as being shown up or taken advantage of.  That's all.

Why on earth should the Cubs left fielder feel that way?  It's not Bryce's responsibility to make him feel like a big leaguer

Don't want a rookie taking third on you, pull your head out of your ass and play ball. It's like the pitcher who gets his panties in a twist when a player celebrates a walk off. Don't want a guy celebrating a home run? Strike his ass out

Can't stand all this "wounded pride" crap

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1343: September 07, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
[...]It's so damn stupid. We were the WORST team in baseball for YEARS; a total laughingstock. We took our beatings. We sucked it up when your fans were in our stadium taunting us when we lost (and yes, Cubs fans did that too).[...]

...remembering 2005-07 at RFK...Cubs used to bring HUGE travelling support to their appearances...14th/15th May 2005 (Saturday/Sunday) brought announced attendances of 42,797 and 44,012 respectively, 8th and 10th highest ever from that period/place...and it was anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 Cubs supporters.

The shoe is on the other foot now and apparently it's not comfortable...tough.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1344: September 07, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »
I honestly don't understand any of this.

In no other professional support is it "expected" to take your foot off the gas - ever.

The rest of your post I tend to agree with, but this is patently false.  The NFL airs games where this takes place on a weekly basis.  The last time I watched the NBA (admittedly it was over 20 years ago) I always saw teams "running out the clock."  It happens nightly in hockey.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1345: September 07, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Yet they spent the entire time nagging about how Porter should have been ejected for walking over there.

I can understand that point of view. Nobody knew that Quirk was ejected under the Martin/Weaver rule. (Cussing near fans). So it would appear that Porter was equally aggressive.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1346: September 07, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
The rest of your post I tend to agree with, but this is patently false.  The NFL airs games where this takes place on a weekly basis.  The last time I watched the NBA (admittedly it was over 20 years ago) I always saw teams "running out the clock."  It happens nightly in hockey.

That's because the WINNING team chose to do so, not because the LOSING team expected you to.

It's completely different

Baseball even has a "saying" - up 5 runs after 5 innings - you don't steal -   That's ridiculous!

What is this, Little League? Who decided that was the way to go?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1347: September 07, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Why on earth should the Cubs left fielder feel that way?  It's not Bryce's responsibility to make him feel like a big leaguer

Don't want a rookie taking third on you, pull your head out of your ass and play ball. It's like the pitcher who gets his panties in a twist when a player celebrates a walk off. Don't want a guy celebrating a home run? Strike his ass out

Can't stand all this "wounded pride" crap

I agree.  Just trying to offer a possible explanation for why they did what they did.  They're getting humiliated nightly in front of thousands of people.

I'll admit to being on teams where we were getting our brains beat in pretty routinely and taking my frustrations out on someone who didn't deserve it.  I think we've all been there.  Just not publically like the Cubs are now.

And for the record, I freaking hate the Cubs so this gives me joy.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1348: September 07, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
I agree.  Just trying to offer a possible explanation for why the did what they did.  They're getting humiliated nightly in front of thousands of people.

I'll admit to being on teams where we were getting our brains beat in pretty routinely and taking my frustrations out on someone who didn't deserve it.  I think we've all been there.  Just not publically like the Cubs are now.

And for the record, I freaking hate the Cubs so this gives me joy.

I'm not barking at you Minty - I just find some of baseballs "unwritten" rules to be completely absurd and in many cases totally counter-productive

Offline blue911

« Reply #1349: September 07, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
I'm not barking at you Minty - I just find some of baseballs "unwritten" rules to be completely absurd and in many cases totally counter-productive

Davey Johnson agrees with you.