Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 123162 times)

Online HalfSmokes

I don't get all the negativity.  STH sales do go up after a good season, and too many teams will sell as many as they can, squeezing out the fan who can only afford (in time and/or money) to attend a few games in person each year.  You can look 45 miles up the road to see an owner who did just that - there were years when you couldn't get a ticket to Camden Yards unless you knew a STH or went to a scalper.  I like that the Lerners are trying to avoid that situation and are declaring their intentions publicly.  Of course the letter is meant to generate interest in additional ST sales, but it also serves as a fair warning to fans that they might not be able to get ST at some point in the future, and fans need to take that into account when deciding if and when to get ST. 

I'm willing to bet that if you call on opening day next year,  you'll be able to get a season plan.  Capping season tickets at less than half the park doesn't sound like it's just to ensure fans can get individual game tickets,  it sounds like a car salesman talking about how few cars they are allocated,  so you better get one off the lot instead of in insisting on the package you want (seriously,  Alexandra Toyota expected me to believe there was a corolla shortage?)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
I don't get all the negativity.  STH sales do go up after a good season, and too many teams will sell as many as they can, squeezing out the fan who can only afford (in time and/or money) to attend a few games in person each year.  You can look 45 miles up the road to see an owner who did just that - there were years when you couldn't get a ticket to Camden Yards unless you knew a STH or went to a scalper.  I like that the Lerners are trying to avoid that situation and are declaring their intentions publicly.  Of course the letter is meant to generate interest in additional ST sales, but it also serves as a fair warning to fans that they might not be able to get ST at some point in the future, and fans need to take that into account when deciding if and when to get ST. 

That's nice in theory but the bottom line is the Nats won't turn away anybody that wants to buy a season ticket package, it's just that they know the number will be less than 20k.  And if it's not, they would generously raise the limit to help satisfy their fans. 

Angelos is an awful owner for countless reasons.  Sellout crowds is not one of them.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
I don't think any of us would be rolling our eyes if we believed that ST sales were about to sellout Nats Park and the team was trying to allow room for the "little guy" to be able to buy tickets..most of us would be fainting at the sudden appearence of a heart in the grinch!  But the used car salesman pitch of "those of you who don't want to miss a minute of Nationals baseball should purchase your 2013 season tickets now!" and limiting availability of a product is a transparent attempt to drive up demand.  Makes us cynics think the demand isn't there.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
I don't think any of us would be rolling our eyes if we believed that ST sales were about to sellout Nats Park and the team was trying to allow room for the "little guy" to be able to buy tickets..most of us would be fainting at the sudden appearence of a heart in the grinch!  But the used car salesman pitch of "those of you who don't want to miss a minute of Nationals baseball should purchase your 2013 season tickets now!" and limiting availability of a product is a transparent attempt to drive up demand.  Makes us cynics think the demand isn't there.

I agree. Look, at best, the Nats might add another 10K STH in the offseason and get to.. let's say 22K STH for next season. If they make a World Series run in 2013, and bump STHs into the mid 30K range, then, I could buy that the Nats are looking out for the little guy. But for now, they are trying to sell some snake oil.

And I cannot believe some folks that don't see this. I have to agree with PB69, if you call the Nats, they'll hook you up with a plan.

Offline Displaced Bucco

Just to show that I really am a cynic...what was the source of that letter?  I haven't seen it on the Nats website or twitter and I haven't received a marketing email about it.  Is it for real or just for real fun??

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
It was a marketing email sent out from the Nats under the heading: Message from the Lerner Family.

It's a direct marketing piece to sell post season tix and renewals with one of the dumbest premises imaginable. It shows how stupid some of the folks working for the organization are compared to the public to which they are trying to appeal.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Just to show that I really am a cynic...what was the source of that letter?  I haven't seen it on the Nats website or twitter and I haven't received a marketing email about it.  Is it for real or just for real fun??

It was an E-mailing from feedback@mail.mlblists.com to, apparently, everybody and his dog - including charter full STH like myself.

The full text:

Dear Nationals Fans,

As lifelong baseball fans and fellow Washingtonians, it’s impossible to fully convey how excited we are to see the Nationals success on the field while fans across the region embrace the thrill of a pennant race. With a solid pitching corps, sure-handed defense and a roster full of the best young talent in the game, the 2012 Nationals have generated plenty of excitement and a new attitude – or Natitude – here in the Nation's Capital. Together with you, we are building something special … and the best is yet to come!

Few things in our culture unite family, friends and communities like the game of baseball, and we want to make sure that everyone gets the opportunity to share in this great time-honored tradition. With this goal in mind, we have decided to limit the number of season tickets available for 2013 to 20,000 of our 41,000 available seats. We are committed to ensuring that every fan who wants to see a live game at Nationals Park has the opportunity to do so.

Therefore, with limited season tickets available, those of you who don't want to miss a minute of Nationals baseball should purchase your 2013 season tickets now! Additionally, this is the only way to ensure priority seating for the 2012 Postseason before tickets go on sale to the general public.

We are truly proud to be a part of bringing winning baseball back to Washington, D.C. The national pastime in the Nation's Capital is a special part of our lives and we want all Washingtonians to be able to share in this amazing experience.

Sincerely,

The Lerner Family
and the Washington Nationals Baseball Club

[italics mine; the following item may be found among the items below this, suggesting it's a routine STH mailing]

You are receiving this e-mail because you are a Nationals Season Ticket Holder and we would like to inform you of your benefits. E-mail is our primary means of relaying service-related information to our Season Ticket Holders.

Offline Displaced Bucco

Hmm...spam filter must have blocked it...guess I've got a better spam/bs filter than I thought I had!

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
This should be interesting, a great opportunity for the Lerners to show their Natitude.

In anticipation of the Nationals entering the MLB post season, the chief of D.C. police says she expects the team will pay for important additional security for games and celebrations. .

www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3024793

Offline hammondsnats

This should be interesting, a great opportunity for the Lerners to show their Natitude.

they should be paying for BOTH the metro to stay open late plus the celebration.

yet we still have some LANC idiots floating around here who for some messed up reason think differently.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Who wants to burn some couches?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Who wants to burn some couches?

LET'S freak SOME WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline hammondsnats

good to have you back MDS

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The out of town NFL game last night had 672% more viewers than the Nats game, while at the same time the Lerner family was announcing a cap on ticket sales.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
good to have you back MDS

Yep. Was it a 28-day stay at the rehab clinic?

Offline Baseball is Life

Sanity from the newb. Stick around and you'll get familiar with WNFF conspiracies, paranoia,  and general negative take on all things Lerner.

Online HalfSmokes

Sanity from the newb. Stick around and you'll get familiar with WNFF conspiracies, paranoia,  and general negative take on all things Lerner.

What's the pro-Lerner take on not having an escrow account with metro (you know unlike every other professional team in the city)?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

So, how was it a problem that the Orioles sold out for a few years?

Oh, a problem for an individual fan who didn't have a connection? Bah. I never had problem getting tickets to OPACY.

Offline Baseball is Life

What's the pro-Lerner take on not having an escrow account with metro (you know unlike every other professional team in the city)?

No following this other issue. Please explain.

Online HalfSmokes

No following this other issue. Please explain.

Lerners aren't cheap,  anyone who says they are is full of " conspiracies, paranoia,  and general negative take on all things Lerner,"  so what's the excuse for not having any escrow account with metro?

Offline Clever

The out of town NFL game last night had 672% more viewers than the Nats game, while at the same time the Lerner family was announcing a cap on ticket sales.
To be fair, it was the first game of the season, and the Nats were up on the 2nd worst team in MLB by 9 runs.

Offline Baseball is Life

Lerners aren't cheap,  anyone who says they are is full of " conspiracies, paranoia,  and general negative take on all things Lerner,"  so what's the excuse for not having any escrow account with metro?

I am asking you kindly what the hell you are talking about? Well, OK, I was asking you kindly before.

What is an "escrow account with Metro?"

Online HalfSmokes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/the-nats-metro-and-extra-innings/2012/06/07/gJQAybWCLV_blog.html

So here’s a brief explanation of the situation. For Metro to stay open late (or open early) costs $29,500 per hour. The Caps, as Dana Hedgpeth wrote earlier this spring, have a standing agreement with WMATA to keep Metro open late if necessary during the playoffs, when games often start later and multiple overtimes are in play. That happened with the triple overtime loss to the Rangers this spring, and a portion of the cost was billed to the Caps.

To have such an agreement requires a $29,500 deposit from the organization or venue in question, a Metro spokesman explained, which then gives the option to use the additional hour when its needed.

The Caps don't need to worry about this during the regular season, because shootouts guarantee a finite length for games. Even playoff games do not run past normal transit times unless they go into double overtime.

the Lerners are too cheap to pay the 29k though

District officials said Thursday they plan to rebuff a request from the Washington Nationals that the city provide “additional Metro services” for the team’s fans.

Team representatives made the request during a July 31 meeting with city officials — three weeks before Monday’s game, after which dozens of fans were stranded at Nationals Park after the last trains stopped running hours before the end of the 13-inning contest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/2012/08/23/b1377a08-ed69-11e1-a80b-9f898562d010_story.html?hpid=z3

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
To be fair, it was the first game of the season, and the Nats were up on the 2nd worst team in MLB by 9 runs.

672% while Gonzo was pitching another gem and the Nats were hitting HRs 7-12 in a two game stretch.