Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 122235 times)

Offline Gleason2

Sure, why not?

Because they suck and the NBA's best days are way behind it?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

The ratings for the Finals are the highest in years.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Because LeBron.

If it were Oakland versus Indiana, no one would care.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Because LeBron.

If it were Oakland versus Indiana, no one would care.

I have no clue what point you are trying to make.  Better players and better teams get higher ratings, sure, and the sun is hot.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You have to give it to ESPN / ABC and Stern for being better at selling his entertainment than Vince McMahon.  The problem with Vince is he is more honest about his tv show.  Stern carries out the act that it is still on the level very well.  OkC wins the next two.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I have no clue what point you are trying to make.  Better players and better teams get higher ratings, sure, and the sun is hot.

LeBron is the reason. People either love him or hate him. And people love to hate him. I know friends who are watching the finals just because they want to see LeBron fail

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
LeBron is the reason. People either love him or hate him. And people love to hate him. I know friends who are watching the finals just because they want to see LeBron fail

That is a fact, what I'm failing to see is what argument that fact is supposed to be supporting.  Big stars bring in big ratings, it's true for every sport.  Big market cities also bring in big ratings, but the ratings are up this year despite OKC being in the finals.

Offline HalfSmokes

Aside from football cities and stars determine finals ratings- do you think anyone would watch a rays reds world series?

Offline HalfSmokes

the NBA's best days are way behind it?

Short shorts jump shots and sound fundamentals?

Offline Sharp

I think there's pretty general agreement among NBA fans that the '90s were the NBA's golden age in terms of talent (and popularity--IIRC NBA on NBC ratings dwarfed what the games get now).  But people not going to Wizards/Bullets games is a much older tradition than that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

MLB's best days are long gone and the Nats were terrible for 6 years.

It's still fun to go to Wizards games occasionally.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think there's pretty general agreement among NBA fans that the '90s were the NBA's golden age in terms of talent (and popularity--IIRC NBA on NBC ratings dwarfed what the games get now).  But people not going to Wizards/Bullets games is a much older tradition than that.

The 90s were about Jordan dominating, I think slightly older fans see Magic/Bird in the 80s as the high water mark, older than that may point to the celts of cousy then russel, kids today may think Kobe followed by lebron was the peak

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
People go to Wizards games still?

We get good turn-outs if there's a name opponent (Lakers, Celtics etc - think Nats-Phillies match without the boorishness), on Saturdays/Sundays with the Family Fun promo, and on Wednesdays/Fridays with the Student Rush promo.

Pop by on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday though (unless of course there's a name opponent), get a seat in the 400's and relax in solitary splendour....

Offline Sharp

The 90s were about Jordan dominating, I think slightly older fans see Magic/Bird in the 80s as the high water mark, older than that may point to the celts of cousy then russel, kids today may think Kobe followed by lebron was the peak
The 90s had a lot more to offer than just Jordan, though.  An assortment of absurdly dominant centers, a Knicks team that was actually good, amazing stories (Dream Team, Hakeem winning two rings single-handedly, rivalries everywhere), and the beginnings of the Spurs and Lakers dynasties.  I think the '00s were more characterized by guard play, the rising influence of European ball, and Spurs/Lakers dominance.  Obviously there was still a lot to like, but it definitely didn't have the same casual appeal that the '90s did, at least not judging by the ratings.  You may be right that people always see the era with which they group as the best one, of course.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
It's just a terrible game.  You really ever have to watch the last five minutes of any game.

Offline Gleason2

How many decades do you think we'll have to wait for the Wizards to be in the finals?

Offline HalfSmokes

How many decades do you think we'll have to wait for the Wizards to be in the finals?

Shouldn't wall have us there by now, paired with Jan, they should be unstoppable by now

Offline OldChelsea

It's been over three decades as it is...what's a couple more?

[heck, we've only won two playoff series since that 1979 re-match with the Sonics: 1982 over Nets, 2005 over Bulls...the Finals are the remotest of pipe dreams...maybe that's why the expanded the display case in the Phone Booth concourse honouring the 1978 champions]

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Don't ask me, I thought that Gugliotta and Muresan were going to get us there.

Seriously, I have no clue, but the right draft pick can turn a team around.  Maybe Leonsis can do magic.

Offline hammondsnats

some people think hockey is a terrible game, others feel mlb is boring, there are some out there who hate golf. 

the real subject matter is we've lost 4 games in a row. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Don't ask me, I thought that Gugliotta and Muresan were going to get us there.

Seriously, I have no clue, but the right draft pick can turn a team around.  Maybe Leonsis can do magic.

I was sure that Robert Pack was the answer.  And I though Jim MacIlvaine was a playoff caliber defensive center.  And that Calbert Cheaney would be a great scorer.

I was a Bullets Sunshiner.

Offline Jski

There is no way the Mystics out draw the Nats

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I was sure that Robert Pack was the answer.  And I though Jim MacIlvaine was a playoff caliber defensive center.  And that Calbert Cheaney would be a great scorer.

I was a Bullets Sunshiner.

Me too.   We got spoiled in the '70s.

Offline OldChelsea

There is no way the Mystics out draw the Nats

Not right now, anyway...Nats' lowest home attendance this season has been 14,520 (Wednesday 18th April vs Astros), while the only time the Mystics draw that high nowadays is for the annual Camp Day (daytime weekday match attracting large numbers of youth basketball camp participants) which since 2005 has been the only time they sell tickets in the 400's.

It wasn't always thus - the Mystics used to sell out legitimately in the early days (I've been a STH since 2001, and basketball capacity at the Phone Booth is just over 20k) but not any more...Nats attendance would have to fall to the level of recent Cleveland Indians teams (if not the Oakland A's near the end of the Finley ownership when they used to pull literally three-digit 'crowds'). Thing is though, even if Nats attendance got that dire one would have difficulty saying whether the Mystics outdrew them without actually attending the Mystics matches, since the Mystics these days keep some of the dodgiest attendance figures I've ever seen at a sports club.

Offline OldChelsea

Me too.   We got spoiled in the '70s.

Indeed...besides the championship the Bullets made a total of four trips to the Finals in the 1970's.

Wes Unseld played for the Bullets from 1968-81...the only non-playoff season for the Bullets during that period was his final season (1980-81).