Author Topic: One RF thread to rule them all  (Read 20419 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: One RF thread to rule them all
« Reply #225: April 29, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
He can't field though... no DH in the NL really hurts his value for the Nats.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #226: April 29, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »
he was the first guy that came to mind as a possible RF that we could obtain, not sure who else is out there that might be available later this year. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #227: April 29, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
As much as I love Willie Harris and the platoon's defense, the platoon did not get it done with the bat this April.  With one game to go, they are 5th worst in wOBA (2 probable runs below average) and 7th worst in OBP. Most of the offensive stink has come from the 25% of PAs given to Morse, Bernardina, and Taveras.  That said, they are still above average due to the outstanding defense, which saved 2.6 "runs" by UZR. 

Right isn't killing us. it is also where we are trying to find if a system product (Bernie or Max) can play well enough to be a regular.  too soon to pull the trigger for a stop gap like Guillen, I/M/O. Guillen has been awful defensively for the past few years.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #228: April 29, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »
Guillen? :spaz: Gotta be kidding me.  If we aren't going after BJ Upton or something, I don't really see the point.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #229: April 29, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Guillen had a gun of an arm back in '05 and hit 20+ bombs and probably should've been an All-Star.  I do remember that, but again, that was back in 2005.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #230: April 29, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
Guillen? :spaz: Gotta be kidding me.  If we aren't going after BJ Upton or something, I don't really see the point.

I agree, if we can't find someone who is an above average bat and a decent fielder (that eliminates Jermaine Dye) than I would rather us stick with a platoon of (Bernadina/Harris)/Maxwell that provides above average defense and won't be too much of a reliability.

Online imref

« Reply #231: April 29, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
Guillen? :spaz: Gotta be kidding me.  If we aren't going after BJ Upton or something, I don't really see the point.

I don't think the Rays are going to be sellers any time soon.  If you look at the teams that will have players to move, here's a few possibilities:
(i'm just picking decent guys from teams that suck, i don't know contract status of any of them)

Adam Lind
Nolan Riemold (they need pitching, we have pitching)
Carlos Quentin
Hunter Pence

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #232: April 29, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
I don't think the Rays are going to be sellers any time soon.  If you look at the teams that will have players to move, here's a few possibilities:
(i'm just picking decent guys from teams that suck, i don't know contract status of any of them)

Adam Lind
Nolan Riemold (they need pitching, we have pitching)
Carlos Quentin
Hunter Pence

Reimold/Pence would be awesome, but they are a part of the O's/Stro's future.  I can't see Quentin getting traded either.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #233: April 29, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
Pence can't hit, Lind/Quentin can't play the field, and Reimold can't do either.  No thank you.

I do wonder if David Dejesus would be available.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #234: April 29, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
It's fun to dream about us being in playoff contention or at least in a month or two, still near the top of the standings.  If that's the case and the right field experiment doesn't work out ... the Nationals would HAVE to go out and get someone.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235: April 29, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Reimold has 2 years after this before arbitration.  Lind does not make much money, I think.

the organization would have to assess whether it wanted a short term fix, leaving a hole to be filled by the Werth / Crawford class of FAs, or whether they wanted to take on a longer term salary dump, or whether they wanted a high level prospect who could try to help this year and be in line for the position next.  That leads you in different directions.  Reimold, for instance, would cost you in terms of prospects since he is dirt cheap and a long term player.  An expiring high contract like Guillen would be less expensive.  A salary relief move, like Alex Rios last year, would tie your hands in the future.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #236: April 29, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
Guillen had a gun of an arm back in '05 and hit 20+ bombs and probably should've been an All-Star.  I do remember that, but again, that was back in 2005.

He had elbow issues after that IIRC.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #237: April 29, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7858

Hits around .290-.300, draws walks, plays solid D, can steal some bases.

Offline blue911

« Reply #238: April 29, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »

Sweet, he's Arbi eligible after this season.

Online imref

« Reply #239: April 29, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »

no power, no SBs this year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #240: April 29, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
no power, no SBs this year.

Yea, the one downside is there's not much power there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241: April 29, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
Tough park for a guy not on steroids to homer in.  Sweeney and DeJesus are glove first guys.  I can't figure out Oakland's outfield.  They have a lot of guys and mix and match. 

Online imref

« Reply #242: April 29, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
Davis was a nice fantasy pickup last year, and somehow I got him around the 20th round in one of my drafts, he's been slumping as of late got a start today and stole a base.

Online imref

« Reply #243: April 29, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »
Matthew Berry has some nice words for Bernadina in his "Just Saying" column today:

.. That Roger Bernadina was just recalled from Triple-A and started in right field for the Nationals, batting sixth. His Triple-A numbers? Two home runs, eight RBIs, eight runs, seven steals, .377 in just 14 games. Injured much of 2009, he stole 41 bases in 2008

.. To be the right fielder for the Nats, you don't have to do much these days.

Lots of love for other Nats too:

... That Livan Hernandez is 3-1 with a 0.87 ERA through his first four starts of the season. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it's only the fourth time in his career that Hernandez won three of his first four starts of a season, and his ERA is the lowest he has ever had through his first four starts in his 15-year major league career.

... That the emphasis there is mine.

... That Tyler Clippard is 3-0 with a 0.54 ERA and a 0.84 WHIP. He has 20 strikeouts in 16.2 innings. He is on pace for 147 strikeouts. As a reliever, he doesn't count against your starting pitcher limits.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #244: April 30, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »
Dye Thinks He Could Help White Sox
By Tim Dierkes [April 30, 2010 at 9:54am CST]

The White Sox rank 11th in the American League with four runs scored per game.  Their .309 OBP ranks 12th; their .390 SLG places 9th.  Like most teams, the Sox have several players hitting above their ability (Paul Konerko, Andruw Jones), and several players below (Juan Pierre, Gordon Beckham, Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Quentin, A.J. Pierzynski).  The Sox projected to have a below-average offense from the start, but if they just wait it out they'll improve on the current output.

Pierre has been particularly disappointing, as has the team's production from their DH rotation.  Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times believes free agent Jermaine Dye could help, and Dye agrees.  He wants to do more than just DH, potentially helping at outfield and first base.  Dye also clarified recent rumors, saying the Cubs' $3MM offer wasn't formal and he spoke last to the Brewers.  He added, "I'm not going to a bad team, and I'm not playing for $1.5 million."

It doesn't make sense for the Sox to bid much more than that, so money would be one issue.  Manager Ozzie Guillen isn't sure where he'd put Dye, and thinks the player might need a month to be ready (Dye says two weeks).  Whether or not there's a fit with the White Sox, Guillen wants to see Dye come back and play for a big league team.

wow.  but hey the nats aren't a bad team 8)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #245: April 30, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
Starting in RF for your Sasketchewan Dingleberries, Jermaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaine Dye!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #246: April 30, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
I wonder if Orlando Hudson would like to offer a retraction?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #247: April 30, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
I wonder if Orlando Hudson would like to offer a retraction?

que?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #248: May 01, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
que?
I think there was something about Hudson calling the Nats FO racists because they didn't offer enough money to Dye, or some similar sort of nonsensical bull crap.

Offline John

« Reply #249: May 01, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
Reimold/Pence would be awesome, but they are a part of the O's/Stro's future.  I can't see Quentin getting traded either.
I follow the Orioles pretty close and I say no to Reimold..

He is an embarrassment in the field and overrated with the bat. I remember Rick Dempsey predicting he was going to hit 40 HR's this season. He won't come close to this year and I doubt he will ever reach in any other year. He is still young but I don't see him being anything more than a DH.