Author Topic: One RF thread to rule them all  (Read 20417 times)

Offline CJames0569

Re: One RF thread to rule them all
« Reply #150: April 14, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
I sure am glad that Guzman is not being a pain in the A$$.  He is accepting his role as a utility infielder.  I love this guy (despite his one-pitch-at-bats).  The only problem his him being less effective being placed in the latter half of the lineup.   If he would could produce in the 7 spot as well as he does in the 2 spot, that would be great.   

I agree, I figured Guzzie would be a real ass this year about being bumped from starting SS but I really like the way he is embracing his role and how Riggleman is finding ways to get him. He is proving to be a pretty valuable asset early on this season as an above avg bat off the bench and I wouldn't mind him playing some RF as we continue to have that position in limbo.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #151: April 14, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »
I'd like it a lot better if he still wasn't batting second every game he starts... otherwise, good start for him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #152: April 14, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
If we don't bat him 2nd when he plays, we may as well bat him 9th because he is useless.

He isn't pouting. He is playing alright in the field. Baby steps on his part.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #153: April 14, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
That's such a great idea considering Espinosa just got hurt. :hammer:

Just a hammy, I believe.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #154: April 14, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
If we don't bat him 2nd when he plays, we may as well bat him 9th because he is useless.

He isn't pouting. He is playing alright in the field. Baby steps on his part.

Well, according to that run optimizer thread... hitting Guzman 9th is probably the right decision :)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #155: April 14, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
Well, according to that run optimizer thread... hitting Guzman 9th is probably the right decision :)
:woop:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #156: April 14, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
If we don't bat him 2nd when he plays, we may as well bat him 9th .
Fixed.

It is not such a crazy idea.  He might even feel like it is being a "second leadoff hitter"  because he'll be getting on in front of the big guns. 

BTW - I've changed my tune slightly on Willy T as Willie H's platoon partner.  There is at least a way it makes a little sense.  More or less, you have to view 2009 as the aberration (it does look like an outlier if you look at his career splits v LHP), and look at 2008 as viscious BABIP karma biting his behind after blessing him in 2007.  In some ways, he hit better in 2008 than 2007 (i.e., more line drives, fewer flies, by percent of balls in play).  He does have to focus on walking more to be effective, but if he can stay focused and maintain his historic 8.5% BB in April through out the year, he might be passable. 

The numbers are up thread  in reply #131 (page 6)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #157: April 14, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Upton is having a great week in Baltimore right now.  Sure could use that bat 8)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #158: April 14, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »
Upton is having a great week in Baltimore right now.  Sure could use that bat 8)

It certainly is confusing as to why those Cheap Lerner bastards can't pull the trigger.  We have so many options in our minor league system to pull off that type of trade.   :?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #159: April 14, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
It certainly is confusing as to why those Cheap Lerner bastards can't pull the trigger.  We have so many options in our minor league system to pull off that type of trade.   :?

P-Nats for Upton straight up?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #160: April 14, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
P-Nats for Upton straight up?
I was thinking the Zimmermen(n) would be fair.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #161: April 14, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
It certainly is confusing as to why those Cheap Lerner bastards can't pull the trigger.  We have so many options in our minor league system to pull off that type of trade.   :?

See that's just dumb.  All I said is we could use that bat.  Then you go out and bait.

Hey another year of baseball, another year of the Nats having a bottom payroll thanks to those Lerners.  8)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #162: April 14, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
See that's just dumb.  All I said is we could use that bat.  Then you go out and bait.

Hey another year of baseball, another year of the Nats having a bottom payroll thanks to those Lerners.  8)

Hook.....Line.....Sinker.

Call it "baiting" for a reason.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #163: April 15, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
Hook.....Line.....Sinker.

Call it "baiting" for a reason.

you smell weird

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #164: April 15, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »
Anyone wish we'd call up the Brewers and trade for Jody Gerut?

With Jim Edmunds taking over the platoon against RHP, Gerut and his career .803 OPS against RHP would be valueable to the Nats in RF.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #165: April 15, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »
washingnats - I just saw #Nats OF Justin Maxwell. He is here to face left-handed pitching.

Glad Ladson pointed that out. Would have never figured that one out on my own.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #166: April 15, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
you smell weird

Say what you want, but your thinly veiled responses aren't very clever.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #167: April 15, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
Say what you want, but your thinly veiled responses aren't very clever.

you smell weird.

Lerners Are Cheap 8)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #168: April 15, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
Hopefully Maxwell takes this opportunity and runs with it.  He's had plenty of chances, don't know how many more he'll get.  Good luck and go get 'em Terp!  :clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #169: April 15, 2010, 01:40:24 PM »
Anyone wish we'd call up the Brewers and trade for Jody Gerut?

Yes, but only if J-Max does not work out.  We do that, and we get .800 OPS and plus defense out of a Willie / Jody platoon.  For <$4m for the two.  figure that is 3 - 4 WAR.  solid.  But I think think Willie / J-Max might be a 3 WAR platoon, for ~$2.2 M, and J-Max is under team control next year.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #170: April 15, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »
Hopefully Maxwell takes this opportunity and runs with it.  He's had plenty of chances, don't know how many more he'll get.  Good luck and go get 'em Terp!  :clap:

QFT this may be his last shot in a Nats uni.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #171: April 15, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
Yes, but only if J-Max does not work out.  We do that, and we get .800 OPS and plus defense out of a Willie / Jody platoon.  For <$4m for the two.  figure that is 3 - 4 WAR.  solid.  But I think think Willie / J-Max might be a 3 WAR platoon, for ~$2.2 M, and J-Max is under team control next year.

Honestly, I don't want anymore platoons. 

I want a solution at RF, but we don't have any in our system that are near ready (Burgess/Hood are a bit ways away), especially if Maxwell fails in this chance. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #172: April 15, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
That's why I like Gerut btw.

Since he'd be on the right side of most matchups (he's left handed) he could be a full time guy for the Nats. He once was Rookie of the year... and he's had a very solid career up to this point.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #173: April 15, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »

I want a solution at RF, but we don't have any in our system that are near ready (Burgess/Hood are a bit ways away), especially if Maxwell fails in this chance. 

I really don't mind a platoon as long as it's effective. Obviously it's not ideal but if we can't score either Werth or Crawford in the off season than it's probably something we're going to have to live with. Unless Rizzo can pull out a nice trade for one.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #174: April 15, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »

I'm with you.  If they are going to give up one of their limited trading chips, I would rather it be for a full-time player that they could possibly keep around long-term.  Now if they could trade for a solid addition that wouldn't be a full-time player for almost nothing (i.e Glenn Gibson or Jonathan Albaladejo or Ryan Langerhans), I might be cool with that.