Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Robert Hassell III, OF  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Good.

Offline Five Banners

Hassell's rehab assignment is over and he is moving to AA where he belongs.

Seemed to look every bit the low-Aplayer when I saw him recently. Could be the injury, age, or who knows.

Offline Natsinpwc

Seemed to look every bit the low-Aplayer when I saw him recently. Could be the injury, age, or who knows.
I think with him you have to assume it was basically spring training.  No reason to have his real start below Double A. On the other hand some folks saying he will be up this year or even next seem quite a bit over optimistic.

Offline Senatorswin

I think with him you have to assume it was basically spring training.  No reason to have his real start below Double A. On the other hand some folks saying he will be up this year or even next seem quite a bit over optimistic.

If he's not next year something probably went wrong.

Offline Natsinpwc

2 for 2 now. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Decent contact but grounded into a DP last at bat. 2 for 4. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If he's not next year something probably went wrong.

Really?  He's 21.  College players that age are typically drafted and get a short season at A or A+.  He's already in AA.  He's around a year ahead of the pacing you'd expect even for a first round college draftee, and nobody expects those guys to be in the majors the season after they're drafted.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Part of it also were the projections for ETA to the majors on some of the prospect sites like MLB.com, as well as the ridiculous numbers he put up before the trade. I kind of like the dose of realism Longenhagen put on him when he dropped him to 112 on his list. Probably an over-reaction to a down period after the trade, as well as the hamate, but it pushed back a lot on the expectation of him taking over center in August.

Besides, I don't think the Nats will be pushing their top hitter out of center this year despite statcast not liking his defense :lmao:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I could see Hassell replacing Call at some point this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I could see Hassell replacing Call at some point this year.
left field, maybe.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
don't stick a fork in Call just yet.

Offline imref

reverse jinx

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Part of it also were the projections for ETA to the majors on some of the prospect sites like MLB.com, as well as the ridiculous numbers he put up before the trade. I kind of like the dose of realism Longenhagen put on him when he dropped him to 112 on his list. Probably an over-reaction to a down period after the trade, as well as the hamate, but it pushed back a lot on the expectation of him taking over center in August.

Besides, I don't think the Nats will be pushing their top hitter out of center this year despite statcast not liking his defense :lmao:

Those projections are always ridiculous.

And every time his production comes up, I compare him to a dude I saw in A+ last year early in the season who is the same draft class, same handedness, same position and body type, HS from the same state, and a year younger.  Here is that dude's present AA line this season: 102 PA, .308/.471/.487, 18/23 K/BB, playing CF. 

MLB.com still has him ranked behind Hassell.  Now I get that it's still sitting on a pre-season ranking, but I've seen both the players.  It's not even close. Other dude (Evan Carter) is the example of a maybe-2023 if Texas is in contention kind of player. 

Hassell is a normal, good prospect.  But he needs time.  He is not Evan Carter.  He is not some Elly De La Cruz level freak show.  He just needs to play baseball.  And yes, there is a chance that it goes to crap and he's Nate Schierholtz.  That's what prospects do sometimes. 

But now ain't the time for hand-wringing.  Sometimes  :old: I long for the era when they used to send dudes like this off into the ether to places with silly names like Chattanooga and silly fans like me would buy cheap tickets and watch them freak up for a couple years while the talent shined enough to wait for the freakups to smooth out.

Now everybody's looking at some 19-year-old's strikeout ratio in low-A and crap like that.  Unless it's massively one way or the other, everybody should chill.  That's what coaching is for, at least if you're not the Nationals.

Yeah, I need a drink too after going way past two sentences.

Offline GataNats

Kid can hit

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
If the relay throw had been on target, he's out

Offline Natsinpwc

Throws a runner out at third trying to advance on a fly ball. WTG.

Offline Natsinpwc

1-4 today but with three Ks. 

Offline imref

3-4, double tonight

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
a few observations just off his stats this year.

first, he's over 1000 PAs in the minors. while all but 100 are in  A / A+, 1000+ is a significant number. I think it's the number looked to for development.

second, he's got more walks than Ks this year. A lot of that was during rehab at fredericksburg and the good sense of the strike zone talked about in Kevrock's post right after the trade (excerpting BA). https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40247.0;msg=2258623

there shouldn't be much expectations for power this year due to his hamate, but his ISO this year (.152) is better than last year overall and near what he was putting up in the SD system (.168) at lower levels.

it's just 33 PAs in 2023  at Harrisburg. If he hits well for 2 more months, stays on the field, a bump up to AAA in late july would give him 2 months at that level and about 600 PAs in the upper minors. At that point, it is realistic for him to have a shot at breaking camp next year with the team or being an early call up.

Offline Natsinpwc

Looks like he has recovered fine from the injuries. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I think it was important to remember that back when Zimmerman injured his hamate and took a long time to get his power stroke back: a. he was still a fairly inconsistent hitter at that point, prone to half-seasons of mediocre production (it wasn't 'til '09 that he fully matured as a major league hitter), and b. the Nats' Dr. Nick-like medical staff left a lot to be desired around that time.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX