Author Topic: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread  (Read 30648 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread
« Reply #725: May 21, 2024, 08:07:58 PM »
through 5, not counting the runs in the 6th, Corbin's FIP jumped from 4.14 to 4.87 with the homers, and his ERA jumped 6.24 from mid-5s.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #726: May 21, 2024, 08:10:13 PM »
Thats not very good

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #727: May 21, 2024, 08:13:26 PM »
Send him back out for the 7th, then Patterson his ass the moment either Gray or Cavalli are ready?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #728: May 21, 2024, 08:16:54 PM »
Send him back out for the 7th, then Patterson his ass the moment either Gray or Cavalli are ready?
gonna need to cut somebody when Gray is back. It should be him or Rainey. If it's Parker, then there's a mutiny.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #729: May 21, 2024, 08:30:26 PM »

Good to hear from you stranger. Only old timers know Patterson his ass. Now it is Dickerson his ass.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #730: May 21, 2024, 08:36:40 PM »
I know we have to pay Corbin but do we really have to play him?? Really? Can’t we bring up a kid who MAY be part of our future?…Because Corbin sure isn’t.
He may have a decent start now and again but he usually gets pounded early and often.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #731: May 21, 2024, 08:39:18 PM »
Good to hear from you stranger. Only old timers know Patterson his ass. Now it is Dickerson his ass.

Hello AB. Still make it to Katie's Coffee?

Who was it that came up with the Patterson thing, NOTLD?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #732: May 21, 2024, 08:45:03 PM »
I know we have to pay Corbin but do we really have to play him?? Really? Can’t we bring up a kid who MAY be part of our future?…Because Corbin sure isn’t.
He may have a decent start now and again but he usually gets pounded early and often.

Often and early
Is how some like their poundings
Perhaps not Corbin

Online Slateman

« Reply #733: May 21, 2024, 09:09:41 PM »
gonna need to cut somebody when Gray is back. It should be him or Rainey. If it's Parker, then there's a mutiny.
At this rate, Cavalli and Gray will be ready pretty close to each other.

Online Slateman

« Reply #734: May 21, 2024, 09:10:31 PM »
There is literally no pitching prospect who would be better than Corbin. And with Corbin, you can say you dont care about pitch count or arm injuries.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #735: May 21, 2024, 09:17:28 PM »
While the Rochester rotation is mostly home grown (Adon, Rutledge) or acquired as prospects (Ward, Herz), they are all having off years. The AA pitchers are having better years, but it's way too early for most of them to be thought of as rosterable. it's waiting on Gray and Cavalli, and maybe in a couple of months a Herz or Rutledge will get their act together enough.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #736: May 21, 2024, 09:18:36 PM »
If corbin limits his starts like this to one out of every 4 starts, then that's survivable.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #737: May 21, 2024, 09:20:20 PM »
Hello AB. Still make it to Katie's Coffee?

Who was it that came up with the Patterson thing, NOTLD?

Haven’t been since late 2019. Still have the Cobra and I would like to sell it but haven’t done anything. I will drive it this weekend for the first time this year. I’m  not sure who coined the term.  I think I may have been the first to use Dickerson him. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #738: May 21, 2024, 09:23:23 PM »
If corbin limits his starts like this to one out of every 4 starts, then that's survivable.

Rainey and Corbin
Sans Max Stras Trea and Soto
Will no series win

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #739: May 21, 2024, 11:13:32 PM »

Y'ever wonder what Rizzo tells Mini Me he can get for Corbin at the deadline?  I'm not sure the Cubs would give him an Ernie Banks rookie card.  But Mini Me probably just says "hey, I'm paying him $25m this year, and $10m next year in deferrrals!  he must pitch! 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #740: May 22, 2024, 09:04:01 AM »
Y'ever wonder what Rizzo tells Mini Me he can get for Corbin at the deadline?  I'm not sure the Cubs would give him an Ernie Banks rookie card.  But Mini Me probably just says "hey, I'm paying him $25m this year, and $10m next year in deferrrals!  he must pitch! 
w/r/t Corbin, I'm not going to go "it's just playing the contract" at this point until we get to the point where he's taking a spot away from someone who is going to perform better or has shown he needs to pitch in the majors now to get to his potential. There is no one in Rochester performing at that level. Ward, Adon, Rutledge, and Herz are all pitching pretty badly this year. They have another AAAA guy, but I have zero expectation of an upgrade. The pitchers at Harrisburg aren't ready yet, either. 

As between Gray and Corbin, it is a disappointingly close call.  If Corbin is still in the rotation when Cavalli and Gray are healthy, and Parker and Irvin are sent down for no credible reason, then I'll say it is just playing the contract. You could also have an argument that they should have spent money this winter, but at this point in the development curve, I want to see system products - Cavalli, Gore, Gray, Irvin, and another internal (would have planned on Rutledge over the winter, but am more than pleased with Parker so far).