Author Topic: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread  (Read 28311 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Re: Patrick Corbin Consternation Thread
« Reply #575: February 07, 2023, 09:46:05 AM »
Nats are one of the more expensive ballparks in MLB, no?

Anyway, at this point, minor league games seem the best option for taking kids to a game

According to an article dated July of 2021 in gobankingrates.com the top 4 most expensive were Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Nationals Park.

According to an article dated April of 2022 in mentalfloss.com Yankee Stadium pulled ahead of Fenway so it was Wrigley, Yankee, Fenway, Nationals.

I got a hot dog at one of the last games last year and the bun was stale. If you're going to be expensive you should at least be good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #576: February 07, 2023, 10:14:36 AM »
According to an article dated July of 2021 in gobankingrates.com the top 4 most expensive were Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Nationals Park.

According to an article dated April of 2022 in mentalfloss.com Yankee Stadium pulled ahead of Fenway so it was Wrigley, Yankee, Fenway, Nationals.

I got a hot dog at one of the last games last year and the bun was stale. If you're going to be expensive you should at least be good.
I think when they have those dollar dog nights the dogs and buns are left over from the night before.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #577: February 07, 2023, 11:57:18 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think part of the high price isn't so much  the dogs and peanuts as it is the number of higher end options.  It's a chili dog, but Ben's at $9 is high but high quality.  The sub sandwiches were also excellent and not a rip off even if they were higher than customary ballpark food. It didn't strike me that the hot dogs were much more pricey than OPACY.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #578: February 07, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think part of the high price isn't so much  the dogs and peanuts as it is the number of higher end options.  It's a chili dog, but Ben's at $9 is high but high quality.  The sub sandwiches were also excellent and not a rip off even if they were higher than customary ballpark food. It didn't strike me that the hot dogs were much more pricey than OPACY.
Ben's really isnt quality anymore. Even for ballpark food

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #579: February 07, 2023, 02:46:52 PM »
Ben's really isnt quality anymore. Even for ballpark food
I suppose the term "quality" and the stuff that goes in a half smoke is an oxymoron.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #580: February 07, 2023, 08:46:32 PM »
I really hope the best pitcher gets to head the rotation this year.  Felt like last year Corbin was the OD starter because of "potential"...or worse.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #581: February 07, 2023, 09:44:29 PM »
I really hope the best pitcher gets to head the rotation this year.  Felt like last year Corbin was the OD starter because of "potential"...or worse.
Per fangraphs, Corbin had the highest WAR of any starter

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #582: February 08, 2023, 10:10:55 AM »
I imagine that Corbin starts opening day more as the established veteran on a staff with no one else proven.  His role is going to be doing veteran-ny things like telling guys how to prepare between starts, study video, etc...  If it were on MLB performance last year, Williams would probably be the top dog by default.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #583: February 08, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
Per fangraphs, Corbin had the highest WAR of any starter

Per BR, which derives its pitching values from the real world rather than a three-true-outcomes fantasyland, it was Anibal, then Espino, then Gray.  Somehow, the dude with a 6.31 ERA who led the league in earned runs allowed, hits allowed, and losses didn't show up as being particularly beneficial to winning.

Yes, predictable response was predictable.  Fangraphs' data is useful for many things.  Pitching WAR ain't among them.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #584: February 08, 2023, 11:10:29 AM »
Per BR, which derives its pitching values from the real world rather than a three-true-outcomes fantasyland, it was Anibal, then Espino, then Gray.  Somehow, the dude with a 6.31 ERA who led the league in earned runs allowed, hits allowed, and losses didn't show up as being particularly beneficial to winning.

Yes, predictable response was predictable.  Fangraphs' data is useful for many things.  Pitching WAR ain't among them.
Looked up and Aaron Nola was their pitching WAR leader. Another very good year but was not the best pitcher in baseball. Or even his own team. Wheeler was 2 WAR lower. He missed a month or so but still does not make sense.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #585: February 08, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
Everyone knows Corbin sucks. Sends a bad message if he starts the opener. Start Jo Jo. Spells future.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #586: February 08, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
Everyone knows Corbin sucks. Sends a bad message if he starts the opener. Start Jo Jo. Spells future.
But Jo Jo sucked too :lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #587: February 08, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »
T-Willy!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #588: February 08, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
But Jo Jo sucked too :lmao:
Younger. Cheaper. Might get better.
Maybe they should have brought back Nelson Cruz also. LOL.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #589: February 08, 2023, 11:42:47 AM »
Since you love Fangraphs WAR, Gray is projected at 1.2. Corbin at 1.1.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #590: February 08, 2023, 12:35:11 PM »
I think I'd rather see Corbin get lit up in the opener.  No need to put that pressure on Gray this year.   

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #591: February 08, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »
Why are we wasting our time and energy on this POS player. He is worthless with no hope of redemption. Lock this freaki' thread.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #592: February 08, 2023, 12:49:06 PM »
I think I'd rather see Corbin get lit up in the opener.  No need to put that pressure on Gray this year.   
Gray better get used to pressure. If he plays the first couple months like how he finished, at best, he's sent down. And he'd probably a reliever at that point

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #593: February 08, 2023, 02:12:16 PM »
OD / #1 starter should simply be whoever has the best spring. It should be an open competition.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #594: February 08, 2023, 03:30:34 PM »
Why are we wasting our time and energy on this POS player. He is worthless with no hope of redemption. Lock this freaki' thread.
hey, I have a 2019 Corbin bobblehead that I'm keeping.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #595: February 08, 2023, 07:28:25 PM »
Looked up and Aaron Nola was their pitching WAR leader. Another very good year but was not the best pitcher in baseball. Or even his own team. Wheeler was 2 WAR lower. He missed a month or so but still does not make sense.

Yeah both fWAR and bWAR have serious drawbacks in their pitching WAR. I prefer RA9-WAR which is basically bWAR but without the weird adjustments they make for team defense.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #596: February 09, 2023, 07:36:45 AM »
Why? It is taking up valuable space in the back of your closet.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #597: February 09, 2023, 09:04:50 AM »
Eh, I'm keeping most of the contributors to 2019, although I'm going to offer up my Robles to my group.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #598: February 09, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
You should have the Corbin bobblehead pitch to the Robles.   One of them should probably have a good chance of success and can feel a little better about themselves.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #599: February 15, 2023, 08:16:35 PM »
Where do you keep your Ben Revere garden gnome?