Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jackson Rutledge, RHP  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Section214

Re: Follow the Prospects: Jackson Rutledge, RHP
« Reply #75: August 06, 2022, 07:35:31 PM »
5 shutout innings tonight with 6 strikeouts, 1 BB and 4 hits. ERA down to 5.48

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #76: August 07, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »
Watch him close just strong enough to force a tough Rule 5 decision

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: August 07, 2022, 10:52:37 AM »
Watch him close just strong enough to force a tough Rule 5 decision

it's an easy Rule 5 decision.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #78: August 07, 2022, 10:56:47 AM »
Rutledge is a keeper.

Offline Section214

« Reply #79: August 07, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »
There are plentyyyy of guys that can get dropped off the 40 man roster ahead of Rutledge.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #80: August 07, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »
There are plentyyyy of guys that can get dropped off the 40 man roster ahead of Rutledge.
I admit I forgot for a moment this isn’t 2019 and the decisions are much easier.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #81: August 07, 2022, 11:30:43 AM »
I admit I forgot for a moment this isn’t 2019 and the decisions are much easier.

I think there are going to be guys on the 40-man who we scratch our heads as why they are there. We know Corbin and Strasburg are going to eat two spots, and we know why. I mean, like, we are going to go, why are we giving Jordan Weems a spot.

Online imref

« Reply #82: August 16, 2022, 10:47:18 AM »
So-so outing on 8/12: 5 IP, 3ER, 7H, 6K, 1BB

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #83: August 17, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
Rutledge just finished 7 scoreless with 10 Ks 3 hits and 2 walks

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: August 17, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »
Rutledge just finished 7 scoreless with 10 Ks 3 hits and 2 walks
Where is he at?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #85: August 17, 2022, 09:20:05 PM »
Where is he at?

Still Fredericksburg.  Next year is going to be a big year for him given that he'll be 24 in April.  COVID and the loss of the 2020 season (plus injuries) really impacted his timeline, but he's getting near the point where he really should be dominating at that level given his age and prospect status.  There are relatively fringy prospects holding their own in AA - two levels higher than he is - at younger ages than Rutledge right now.  Short story is that tonight is great, but needs to be repeatable.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: August 17, 2022, 09:49:24 PM »
Still Fredericksburg.  Next year is going to be a big year for him given that he'll be 24 in April.  COVID and the loss of the 2020 season (plus injuries) really impacted his timeline, but he's getting near the point where he really should be dominating at that level given his age and prospect status.  There are relatively fringy prospects holding their own in AA - two levels higher than he is - at younger ages than Rutledge right now.  Short story is that tonight is great, but needs to be repeatable.
Thanks. Sounds like maybe he should be heading up to Wilmington now.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #87: August 17, 2022, 10:05:49 PM »
Thanks. Sounds like maybe he should be heading up to Wilmington now.

Who knows.  Less than a month left in their season and his ERA is still barely under 5.

Online Slateman

« Reply #88: August 18, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »
Rutledge is a fitness fanatic, so I'm less concerned about his age. The big thing is for him to get a full season and be healthy.

As for his performance, he's had a sub 5 ERA since July, with only two "bad" starts, and he's now put together four starts in a row with at least 5 innings and 3 or fewer earned runs. His strikeouts are up too. Wilmington's season ends on September 11. I think it would be worth it to send him there for the last month, just so he gets a feel for the place to prep him for next year.

We should also take his starts with a grain of salt. I've now seen him throw (either on video or in-person) four times in the last couple months. He's clearly using this time to work on a second fastball (sinker/two seamer) and his change up. He's taking a bit off of his fastball to work on location. I'm hoping its all coming together (or at least, he's trying) and this latest stretch is a result of that.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #89: August 18, 2022, 08:04:15 AM »
Rutledge is a fitness fanatic, so I'm less concerned about his age. The big thing is for him to get a full season and be healthy.

As for his performance, he's had a sub 5 ERA since July, with only two "bad" starts, and he's now put together four starts in a row with at least 5 innings and 3 or fewer earned runs. His strikeouts are up too. Wilmington's season ends on September 11. I think it would be worth it to send him there for the last month, just so he gets a feel for the place to prep him for next year.

We should also take his starts with a grain of salt. I've now seen him throw (either on video or in-person) four times in the last couple months. He's clearly using this time to work on a second fastball (sinker/two seamer) and his change up. He's taking a bit off of his fastball to work on location. I'm hoping its all coming together (or at least, he's trying) and this latest stretch is a result of that.

This is all good to hear.  I've only seen one of his starts in that time (video) and noticed a lot of changeups - some decent, some otherwise.  Glad to hear that's a pattern.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #90: August 18, 2022, 09:05:10 AM »
Do you think they send him back to the AFL?  He didn't get that much work there last year, so maybe he'd get more innings there.  Perhaps they could then start him in Wilmington and if he dominates, jump him to AA in May/June.   Optimistic, but his curve seemed devastating last year in the AFL tv game I saw.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #91: August 18, 2022, 12:36:50 PM »
His mechanics look much better. I'm not convinced (watching Twitter videos) that his arm load angles are significantly different, but there is certainly much better smoothness in that loading motion and throughout his entire motion.

Online Slateman

« Reply #92: August 18, 2022, 01:34:14 PM »
So, since July 3rd, he's posted a 3.97 ERA, with a 1.30 WHIP, 2.38 BB/9 and 9.93 K/9.

Last four 1.43 ERA, 10.44 K/9, 0.96 WHIP

Online imref

« Reply #93: August 24, 2022, 08:05:25 AM »
7IP, 6H, 2R, 2ER, 3BB, 4K, 2HR Last night

Online imref

« Reply #94: August 31, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »
another solid start - 6IP, 4H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 7K

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #95: August 31, 2022, 10:36:26 AM »
another solid start - 6IP, 4H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 7K

Eye test wasn't as good as the numbers.  Enough hitters were overwhelmed by the stuff that they were swinging at fastballs way out of the zone.   He had not a lot of fastball command and the breaking stuff was all over the place.  It's time to move him up, because he's not going to learn anything further going against hitters like that. 

Offline RD

« Reply #96: August 31, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »
Eye test wasn't as good as the numbers.  Enough hitters were overwhelmed by the stuff that they were swinging at fastballs way out of the zone.   He had not a lot of fastball command and the breaking stuff was all over the place.  It's time to move him up, because he's not going to learn anything further going against hitters like that. 

i think this echos some from Slate's post, but the things with Rutledge have more to do with himself than the opponent. 1, health. He just needs innings. But 2, his size. It takes guys as long as him to be able to repeat their mechanics, if they ever are. It goes in with health, but he just needs innings and reps to continue to be consistent. While he's older and challenging him with better comp makes sense, I think him getting innings and hopefully confidence, is fine as well. Finish the season with as many innings as you can get, and hopefully success to go into the off season with confidence. Build from there.

Online imref

« Reply #97: August 31, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
i think this echos some from Slate's post, but the things with Rutledge have more to do with himself than the opponent. 1, health. He just needs innings. But 2, his size. It takes guys as long as him to be able to repeat their mechanics, if they ever are. It goes in with health, but he just needs innings and reps to continue to be consistent. While he's older and challenging him with better comp makes sense, I think him getting innings and hopefully confidence, is fine as well. Finish the season with as many innings as you can get, and hopefully success to go into the off season with confidence. Build from there.

this video compares him in 2021 with his August 18 start, he seems to have improved his mechanics:

https://twitter.com/NatsFarm/status/1560282615835402243

Offline RD

« Reply #98: August 31, 2022, 04:45:23 PM »
this video compares him in 2021 with his August 18 start, he seems to have improved his mechanics:

https://twitter.com/NatsFarm/status/1560282615835402243

Thanks for the link. Nice to see some progress. The question that arises then is he able to repeat it consistently? Thats the issue with pitchers 6'9. The stuff is there. If he gets delivery consistent, I think he'll move fast from there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #99: August 31, 2022, 06:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the link. Nice to see some progress. The question that arises then is he able to repeat it consistently? Thats the issue with pitchers 6'9. The stuff is there. If he gets delivery consistent, I think he'll move fast from there.
Inshallah