Author Topic: Out of Town Ballparks  (Read 21859 times)

Offline carlosdelvaca

Re: Out of Town Ballparks
« Reply #100: June 27, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
Just booked a flight to ATL for Nats-Braves in early September.
This will be major league ballpark number 40. Only three to go.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #101: June 27, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »

Very cool.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #102: June 27, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »

:clap:

Which 3 do you lack?

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #103: June 28, 2019, 06:54:38 AM »
Which 3 do you lack?

Tampa, Arizona, and Colorado.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #104: June 28, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
Impressive. Trying to catch up but way behind.

Offline wj73

« Reply #105: June 28, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »

Cool!  I had them all at one point (42 ballparks total) but have fallen behind, now lacking both NY ballparks, Twins, Marlins, and Atlanta. Guess I need to start planning some trips.

What are your favorites? Mine are SF, Pittsburgh, and SD. Been to Wrigley a few times, and it’s nostalgic, but after a few times of waiting in line for the small bathrooms and scarce concessions, the appeal wanes a bit.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #106: June 28, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »
Ever go to Candlestick?  Brrrrr. 

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #107: June 28, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
What are your favorites? Mine are SF, Pittsburgh, and SD. Been to Wrigley a few times, and it’s nostalgic, but after a few times of waiting in line for the small bathrooms and scarce concessions, the appeal wanes a bit.

I put Pittsburgh, Wrigley, and Camden Yards at the top. I know elsewhere people were enumerating the Yard's flaws, but IMO it really holds up after all these years. SD and SF are both great too.
Also: going to Fenway at the end of July. I went to a game there in 1980, haven't been back since.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #108: June 28, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
Wrigley blows chunks...one big trough urinal of a park...right up there with FedEx Field.

YMMV

Offline wj73

« Reply #109: June 28, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »

Yep. It was the middle of August, and the chili stand was doing a booming business selling piping hot chili. The most popular vendor was the guy walking the aisles with a huge dispenser of hot Yuban coffee. It was bizarre.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #110: July 02, 2019, 02:59:45 AM »
I used to go to Fenway in June or July most every year when I was in my 20's.  It was always a great place to see a game - much better than Yankee Stadium

I put Pittsburgh, Wrigley, and Camden Yards at the top. I know elsewhere people were enumerating the Yard's flaws, but IMO it really holds up after all these years. SD and SF are both great too.
Also: going to Fenway at the end of July. I went to a game there in 1980, haven't been back since.

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #111: July 02, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »

I was lucky enough to go on a beautiful day, for a Saturday afternoon game. Glad it wasn't a night game.
The garlic fries at Candlestick were probably the best thing I've ever eaten at a ballpark.

Offline wj73

« Reply #112: July 02, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »
I was lucky enough to go on a beautiful day, for a Saturday afternoon game. Glad it wasn't a night game.
The garlic fries at Candlestick were probably the best thing I've ever eaten at a ballpark.

Oh gawd, yes!  The SF garlic fries! We still talk about how great they were.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #113: August 02, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »
Checking out Angels-Indians at Progressive Field tomorrow.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #114: August 02, 2019, 10:45:42 PM »
Checking out Angels-Indians at Progressive Field tomorrow.
It's a nice park--you will enjoy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #115: August 25, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »
Petco has some fun with Red Sox fans attending today’s game. This is brilliant:

https://streamable.com/zd2ku

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #116: September 04, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
Notes from Fenway (in late July):
It's cool to a degree because everything is old and historic, but I also get why some people wanted to tear it down. I mean, look at this dumb-ass pole:

The concessions are largely underneath the stands, so you can't see the game down there, and it's quite crowded.
Beer selection - meh. Harpoon and Sam Adams, seemingly nothing else local.
I have complained elsewhere about Nats' fans failure to cheer at appropriate but non-obvious times. Sox fans cheered in those spots and then some. Four hour game with lots of pitching changes and ten-pitch walks/strikeouts.
Still, happy to take it in.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #117: September 04, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
Hey that pole is cast from Bunker Hill cannonballs!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #118: September 10, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
Went to an Asian store (Uwajimaya) in Chinatown not far from T-Mobile in Seattle today.     I'm thinking about going to a game this weekend (Saturday) against the White Sox.    Figure there will be lots of seats available.    :)     Gotta plan an itinerary from south of town.   I wanna take the lite rail but gotta find a way to the end of the line.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #119: September 10, 2019, 08:19:50 PM »
Went to an Asian store (Uwajimaya) in Chinatown not far from T-Mobile in Seattle today.     I'm thinking about going to a game this weekend (Saturday) against the White Sox.    Figure there will be lots of seats available.    :)     Gotta plan an itinerary from south of town.   I wanna take the lite rail but gotta find a way to the end of the line.

Ask one of the hipsters there to round up an Uber for ya. ;)

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #120: September 11, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Thoughts on Atlanta this weekend:
It's a perfectly cromulent ballpark. Modern, good sightlines, open concourses, all that stuff. Nothing really exceptional about it, IMO. (I did not spend any time at "The Battery" shopping/dining complex next door.)
That transportation situation, though. I went to the Saturday night game, and my local friend drove. I considered going Sunday (and given the outcome of the games perhaps I should have), but he couldn't go that day, and the idea of taking a train and TWO buses to get to the stadium was just not doing it for me. Parking wasn't too bad, though, and we got away after the game pretty readily, even with 40K in attendance.
Concessions seemed a little cheaper than Nationals Park, but still expensive--like $10 for a beer rather than $12, $12 for a big sandwich rather than $14. I got an H&F burger and it was quality. Aside from Terrapin Beer Company (which has a taproom in the ballpark), there didn't seem to be a big local beer presence.
We sat near the Nats' dugout, past the end of the netting. I had TWO balls go off my hands that were thrown by Nats players. One in particular was from Rendon and I'm pretty sure he was trying to throw it to me, but it was just a tad short and I couldn't come up with it.
Obviously frustrating to come up short (Saturday was the 5-4 loss which included scoring one run in an inning where we drew four walks), but it was an exciting game, and the Braves fans were certainly into it. A smattering of Nats fans present, but much less of a visiting fan presence than we typically get in DC. I genuinely expected to get more smack talk from Braves fans, but there was really very little. However, they did put me on the big screen, by myself, at the end of the Kiss Cam segment. I played along by looking bewildered and waving half-heartedly.

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #122: September 11, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »
This was also the game Barrett finally got to pitch, which was good to see. I hollered at him during BP, "Tell Davey to put you in!" Guess it worked.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?