Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57738 times)

Offline aussienatsfan

Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #300: June 16, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
Last 15: .333/.351/.444

I am fine with him spelling 2 of our outfielders once a week

Offline slhubic

« Reply #301: June 16, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
it should be remembered, how young he still is, and somewhat raw--and the flashes of very impressive skill should be a positive..

Offline whytev

« Reply #302: June 16, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
I am fine with him spelling 2 of our outfielders once a week

He can spell Revere twice and Werth one as far as I'm concerned.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #303: June 16, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »
it should be remembered, how young he still is, and somewhat raw--and the flashes of very impressive skill should be a positive..

which begs the question.. should he be playing in AAA to develop more

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #304: June 17, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
I agree 100%. He's extremely athletic and fast, has shown huge power, is pretty darn good defensively, and has a big arm. He has four tools. He just has to hit a bit more. With his speed and defense Taylor doesn't need to make a lot of contact to suddenly be the Nationals center fielder of today and the future. I think with improved contact he could develop into a 30 and 30 player who challenges for a Gold Glove in center. That's a cornerstone player you can win a lot of games with.

which begs the question.. should he be playing in AAA to develop more
I don't think so. The Nats threw him into the fire sooner than they planned but even in the minors he was a high strike out hitter. I think putting him in Syracuse would just see him piling up steals, homers, a good average, and still a lot of K's. I think he is who he is unless he just starts improving. I don't see it but Dusty Baker believes in the potential and that gives me some hope. He's only 25. I don't think he'll ever develop enough contact to be a full time player but I understand why the Nats are trying. And if anyone can get it out of Taylor than it is Dusty Baker.

One comparison I would make to give to hope for Taylor is Ian Desmond. All the tools, grinder, and coaches loved him. His first two full seasons in the majors were awful. Third full season? Turned into an offensive engine when many of us, myself included, were ready to trade him for anything.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #305: June 17, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
An even more impressive .308/.345/.462 since May 9th, over 55 PA

Offline Ray D

« Reply #306: June 17, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
he could develop into a 30 and 30 player who challenges for a Gold Glove in center.

I don't think he'll ever develop enough contact to be a full time player

Seems like a contridiction.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #307: June 17, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
Seems like a contridiction.
Yeah, he could develop into that player if his contact improves. I think that's what the Nats see.

I see a player who I don't believe will make those improvements and will remain at best a defensive sub and pinch runner.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #308: June 17, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Yeah, he's still a contradiction: still not a MLB player or superstar? Maybe somewhere in between. Dusty definitely is spending time on him, so he sees something.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #309: June 17, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
He is getting better at laying off the breaking balls in hitting counts. I see someone who could be a poor mans Adam Jones if he can do this.

Offline whytev

« Reply #310: June 17, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
One comparison I would make to give to hope for Taylor is Ian Desmond. All the tools, grinder, and coaches loved him. His first two full seasons in the majors were awful. Third full season? Turned into an offensive engine when many of us, myself included, were ready to trade him for anything.

But the team sucked then. Desmond was like some of the current Phillies. He got all the time in the world to put it together or not because it most ways it just didn't matter.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #311: June 17, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »
Yeah, he's still a contradiction: still not a MLB player or superstar? Maybe somewhere in between. Dusty definitely is spending time on him, so he sees something.

He's a work in process, still quite a bit of upside.  Or, Justin Maxwell redux.

Offline slhubic

« Reply #312: June 17, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
I agree 100%. He's extremely athletic and fast, has shown huge power, is pretty darn good defensively, and has a big arm. He has four tools. He just has to hit a bit more. With his speed and defense Taylor doesn't need to make a lot of contact to suddenly be the Nationals center fielder of today and the future. I think with improved contact he could develop into a 30 and 30 player who challenges for a Gold Glove in center. That's a cornerstone player you can win a lot of games with.
I don't think so. The Nats threw him into the fire sooner than they planned but even in the minors he was a high strike out hitter. I think putting him in Syracuse would just see him piling up steals, homers, a good average, and still a lot of K's. I think he is who he is unless he just starts improving. I don't see it but Dusty Baker believes in the potential and that gives me some hope. He's only 25. I don't think he'll ever develop enough contact to be a full time player but I understand why the Nats are trying. And if anyone can get it out of Taylor than it is Dusty Baker.

yeah, I mean he's basically honing his top-level skills at the top level...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #313: June 19, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Two homers, a hustle double, and a steal of third today. Like I said, he has 30-30 potential if he improves his contact.

I want to believe. I so badly want to believe.

Offline whytev

« Reply #314: June 19, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
Two homers, a hustle double, and a steal of third today. Like I said, he has 30-30 potential if he improves his contact.

Michael A. Taylor: Now with a better batting average than Ryan Zimmerman.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #315: June 19, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
Michael A. Taylor: Now with a better batting average than Ryan Zimmerman.

But he's a bum...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #316: June 19, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
+1

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #317: June 19, 2016, 11:14:16 PM »

I wanna like Michael A. Taylor.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #318: June 20, 2016, 05:56:57 AM »
The only bums are on WNFF

But he's a bum...

Offline Matugi

« Reply #319: June 20, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »
L30: 57 PA .345/.368/.600.  But a BABIP of .485.  Not sustainable

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #320: June 20, 2016, 08:12:19 AM »
The only bums are on WNFF

Welcome home.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #321: June 20, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
L30: 57 PA .345/.368/.600.  But a BABIP of .485.  Not sustainable
.023 of OBP from walks and HBPs?  I'm guessing he's stopped trying to be something he's not - a guy who works counts. Why does anyone ever throw him a strike?

Offline whytev

« Reply #322: June 20, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
.023 of OBP from walks and HBPs?  I'm guessing he's stopped trying to be something he's not - a guy who works counts. Why does anyone ever throw him a strike?

The problem with this platoon is that Revere is also hitting lefties better.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #323: June 20, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2016/06/20/michael-a-taylor-will-play-against-left-handed-pitching-for-now/?hpid=hp_local-news_nationals-journal-10am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
After his 4-for-4, two-homer day against the Padres on Sunday, Baker confirmed what Taylor’s recent playing time did first — he will play against left-handed starters for now while the left-handed hitting Revere will face righties.
    //
   //
  //
 //
//
===========================================
\\
 \\
  \\
   \\
    \\

:)