Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57848 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #475: April 30, 2017, 12:48:43 AM »
So apart from 98 games in AA in 2014, he has never been a good hitter.
www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11489&position=OF

I didn't know that we should have never really expected him to hit.

Also Rafael Bautista is Eury Perez. Maybe a tick faster, and maybe a worse hitter. I like Eury Perez, but ya know.
www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=perez-001eur
www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bautis000raf

Offline Ray D

« Reply #476: April 30, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
He has tools. Speed, arm, defense, and power. All at a position that usually lacks offensive production
But he is clearly not a top-of-the-lineup guy.  If we have to keep him in the lineup now because of Eaton's injury, for his defense and occasional homerun (1 for every 12 Ks)  then for god's sake bat him 8th.  We can afford to have two dead spots at the bottom of the lineup when you have  the other seven batting one through seven.  Taylor batting two kills most opportunities for a rally.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #477: April 30, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
Who's the best outfielder we can get who's contract expires this season?  That's who we need.  Anything less is a PR nightmare, at the end of 2018 this team is toast for a decade.  Inexcusable not to sell the entire farm to win now. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #478: April 30, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
Lorenzo Cain unless the Royals turn the ship around.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: It's your time Michael A Taylor
« Reply #479: April 30, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
I have this gut feeling that MAT is much better at the plate this time around.  I know that seems like a homer wish but I think the mental approach will catch up to the physical talent.  I know a lot of people will laugh me out of here but a silver lining to the Eaton injury could be that we get MAT to the point he's a good everyday player in the big leagues.  Heck, next year he could be our CF and Eaton play LF and we won't have to go out and get a CF. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #480: May 03, 2017, 01:18:54 AM »
I have this gut feeling that MAT is much better at the plate this time around.  I know that seems like a homer wish but I think the mental approach will catch up to the physical talent.  I know a lot of people will laugh me out of here but a silver lining to the Eaton injury could be that we get MAT to the point he's a good everyday player in the big leagues.  Heck, next year he could be our CF and Eaton play LF and we won't have to go out and get a CF.

It would be nice if you were correct and I appreciate the optimism. This board is often doom and gloom.

However, as my post history shows, I have had a low opinion of MATs performance for years. I would rather try one of our other toolsy 4A types than give him yet another chance to prove he is different this time.

He has had numerous chances. Let someone else have one.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #481: May 03, 2017, 01:45:31 AM »
It would be nice if you were correct and I appreciate the optimism. This board is often doom and gloom.

However, as my post history shows, I have had a low opinion of MATs performance for years. I would rather try one of our other toolsy 4A types than give him yet another chance to prove he is different this time.

He has had numerous chances. Let someone else have one.

But the same folks who are looking at MAT are looking at the other prospects. They obviously think he's the best option. And there is something to be said for knowing he's the guy now and getting comfortable with it. This lineup is good enough that it can absorb some bad days at the plate as long as he catches what's hit to him. He has already hit much better since Eaton was injured. But putting this guy up there always fearful for his job is a recipe for certain failure.

But I'm new here.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #482: May 03, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
I wanna like Michael A. Taylor.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #483: May 03, 2017, 08:25:55 AM »
But the same folks who are looking at MAT are looking at the other prospects. They obviously think he's the best option.

They also said that Danny Espinosa was our best option at Shortstop last year...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #484: May 03, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
They also said that Danny Espinosa was our best option at Shortstop last year...

Yep. I think Rizzo is very susceptible to the Sunk Cost fallacy. That, or he has a very hard time owning a mistake.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #485: May 03, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
actually, they said he was better than playing MAT or Revere, and they might have been right.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #486: May 03, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »
Bump

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #487: May 03, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
Since the day he was named the everyday starter Taylor has hit .412. He also appears to me to have more plate discipline. Maybe he's putting it together?

Offline madj55

« Reply #488: May 03, 2017, 11:19:12 PM »
Since the day he was named the everyday starter Taylor has hit .412. He also appears to me to have more plate discipline. Maybe he's putting it together?
He's had good 5 game stretches before. I hope he has, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really hoped he would turn into a Mike Cameron type player, but I'm pretty sure he strikes out more than Cameron (which is pretty hard to do).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #489: May 04, 2017, 12:25:26 AM »
He's approaching 1000 PA in the majors and he has been told he's the everyday starter. Hopefully this will stick, although I think everyone on the board has written him off. He's been hitting the ball hard and he just looks different this year.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #490: May 04, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »
He's approaching 1000 PA in the majors and he has been told he's the everyday starter. Hopefully this will stick, although I think everyone on the board has written him off. He's been hitting the ball hard and he just looks different this year.

Not me.    I wanna like Michael A. Taylor.     I mean that and like you, I'm hopin' he's found his time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #491: May 04, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
I'm always gonna be hoping players get better and figure things out. It's good and better for the Nats if he does. The track record is working against him, but I'll always be hoping he turns the corner. I'm never gonna root against the guy.

Offline sph274

« Reply #492: May 04, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
would really be huge for this team if he turned the corner. next year harper/taylor/eaton. the question is, when harper is gone, who plays cf? robles, Stevenson or taylor?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #493: May 04, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
would really be huge for this team if he turned the corner. next year harper/taylor/eaton. the question is, when harper is gone, who plays cf? robles, Stevenson or taylor?

2018-2021: Eaton / Robles / Harper (assuming we extend Harper).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #494: May 04, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
If Taylor turns the corner, and you believe in Robles/Stevenson, I trade Taylor.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #495: May 04, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »

I think he needs to get hypnotized into thinking it's spring training.  He'll be a first ballot HoFer if someone can brainwash him into thinking that.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #496: May 04, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »
Not me.    I wanna like Michael A. Taylor.     I mean that and like you, I'm hopin' he's found his time.

When you start saying you actually like Michael A. Taylor instead of you wanna like him, we'll know he has finally arrived.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #497: May 04, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
If Taylor turns the corner, and you believe in Robles/Stevenson, I trade Taylor.

+1

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #498: May 04, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
Michael Taylor looks like he needs a change of scenery. If I saw him on another team I'd be excited for the Nats to take a flyer on him just in case he decided to start mashing.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #499: May 04, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »