Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 311005 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #300: August 16, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
i'm just happy we got the guys we wanted high on our draft boards and we signed them.  kudos to all involved, now let's get them in uniforms and start their careers.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #301: August 16, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
i'm just happy we got the guys we wanted high on our draft boards and we signed them.  kudos to all involved, now let's get them in uniforms and start their careers.

I wish we had Bundy somehow, ah well

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #302: August 16, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #303: August 16, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
my first thought was king kong.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #304: August 16, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Sure.

Matt Stairs
Garrett Mock
Slave to Options
Trading Josh Willingham for spare parts (looks like he'll be a Type A)
Beef as a factor as to whether or not a player fits in his plans
Off scouting more than paying attention to the MLB club

That's just a start...

I mean, it'd be nice to have Andrew Friedman, but most GMs aren't perfect. As I've said before, there are a few great ones, some crappy ones, but most are in between. Rizzo falls in the in between.

Online Slateman

« Reply #305: August 16, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
Beef?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #306: August 16, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »
Beef?

Rizzo made a comment at the begining of the year that each year their is better beef in the clubhouse. Some people took it as a shot at Dunn and Willingham and that Rizzo would be most happy with the cast of Thunder from Down Under as his baseball team.

Online Slateman

« Reply #307: August 16, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Lulz

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #308: August 16, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Rizzo made a comment at the begining of the year that each year their is better beef in the clubhouse. Some people took it as a shot at Dunn and Willingham and that Rizzo would be most happy with the cast of Thunder from Down Under as his baseball team.

I can't be sure if this is a shot at those people, but personally I just think it just makes for a good laugh here and there.  Much like the "aura" remark from 2 seasons ago, only better.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #309: August 16, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »

It also makes me sad that the likes of Rizzo and Boras are setting new precedents for overspending on unproven draft picks.  Good for the Nats but bad for baseball: teams like the A's and Mets and Dodgers can't bankroll those kinds of signing bonuses. 

Actually the reverse is almost certainly true - that free agent veterans are overpaid due to artificial scarcity created by the collective bargaining agreement, while pre-free agents, including new draftees, are significantly underpaid.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #310: August 16, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
Actually the reverse is almost certainly true - that free agent veterans are overpaid due to artificial scarcity created by the collective bargaining agreement, while pre-free agents, including new draftees, are significantly underpaid.

Somewhere in America Gary Becker sheds a tear.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #311: August 16, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
I can't be sure if this is a shot at those people, but personally I just think it just makes for a good laugh here and there.  Much like the "aura" remark from 2 seasons ago, only better.

Yeah, it's a pretty funny thing but I wouldn't actually complain that Rizzo judges people too much based on their beefy auras.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #312: August 16, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »

I thought you were all giddy over Rendon?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #313: August 16, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
And if Purke pans out like we hope, we saved at least 3 million.
Anyone notice what Hultzen got?  $10MM + is what I think I heard.  Had Purke gone back in the draft and had a season that earned him a top 3 pick, that's the money he'd be looking at. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #314: August 16, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »
Anyone notice what Hultzen got?  $10MM + is what I think I heard.  Had Purke gone back in the draft and had a season that earned him a top 3 pick, that's the money he'd be looking at. 

yep as much as everyone doubted it at the time, strass and harper set precedent

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #315: August 16, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »

According to MLB.com: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23253216&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

He got between $8.5M and 10.6M with bonuses - I'd guess those are roster bonuses:
The left-handed ace from Virginia and 2011 Atlantic Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year inked a five-year, $8.5 million deal and signed a $6.35 million bonus with a maximum value of $10.6 million, Baseball America reported. The $8.5 million is the fifth-largest Draft guarantee in history. Major League Baseball's recommended bonus guideline for the No. 2 slot was $3.25 million.

Online Slateman

« Reply #316: August 16, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
I really think Rizzo has done a good job this year. I just look at the trade he didn't make and think that there were some good decisions.

Didn't trade for Upton
Didn't bite on Span

Two big no trades that I'm glad didn't happen.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #317: August 16, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
I really think Rizzo has done a good job this year. I just look at the trade he didn't make and think that there were some good decisions.

Didn't trade for Upton
Didn't bite on Span

Even the best GM's aren't 100%.  Imagine if Manny had played his last game as a Natinal, for example.  The cinderella Pirates and their genius GM have turned into pumpkins.  The baby Royals and their genius GM are set to lose 90+ again and, shockingly, their young guys are not all superstars right out of the gate and some haven't performed at higher levels in the minors, let alone the majors.  Billy Beane's ideas are no longer so fresh.  Epstein has $150 million tied up in John Lackey and DiceK. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #318: August 16, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »

Didn't trade for Upton
Didn't bite on Span

who's our CF for next year?  or are we going to continue to wait another year (and then a year after that). 

i'm hoping we get one of those guys in the offseason.

Offline PC

« Reply #319: August 16, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Sure.

Matt Stairs
Garrett Mock
Slave to Options
Trading Josh Willingham for spare parts (looks like he'll be a Type A)
Beef as a factor as to whether or not a player fits in his plans
Off scouting more than paying attention to the MLB club

That's just a start...

Don't forget Yunesky Maya, his international crown jewel.

Yunesky Maya is the reason I don't fully believe the MRI was done on Purke...or that any of the necessary due diligence was done on any of these draft picks, frankly.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #320: August 16, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
I thought you were all giddy over Rendon?

Yeah Bundy at 10 would have been :az:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #321: August 16, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
Yunesky Maya is the reason I don't fully believe the MRI was done on Purke...or that any of the necessary due diligence was done on any of these draft picks, frankly.

Why would poor scouting lead you to believe that the FO lied about conducting an MRI on Purke?

Offline RD

« Reply #322: August 16, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
4.15 million with a major league contract and 3 million are top 5 pick money- he didn't exactly negotiate them down to slot

But we would not have had a chance to draft one, let alone both, had they gone back into the draft.

So paying them is a positive thing. We got 4 potential top ten picks out of this draft. That's an impressive haul.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #323: August 16, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »

Holy crap, why would you think they lied about doing an MRI on Purke? Purke could speak up, you know. Do you really sincerely believe they didn't prepare scouting reports on these guys?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #324: August 16, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Why would poor scouting lead you to believe that the FO lied about conducting an MRI on Purke?

I think he's calling into question their credibility.