Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 309802 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #275: August 16, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
You still didn't answer the question as to how I read your comments wrong.

You specifically said if these guys are on the OD roster for next year. I said they won't be. You claim I somehow misinterpreted your words on purpose.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #276: August 16, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
So heard an interesting interview on the Sports Junkies this morning. Can't remember who it was but he said that the deal for Span was going to be Storen and Lombardozzi. He said that the reason Rizzo didn't pull the trigger was because Span wasn't off his rehab assignment and he was worried about a concussion.

All in all, good no trade by Rizzo. I can live with coughing up Lombardozzi and Storen (especially after signing the current draft). But questions about a guy with a concussion made it not worth it, IMHO

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #277: August 16, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Around the trade deadline, it sound like they were giving up on Desmond. It's hard to trade Lombo if you're ready to give up on Desmond. Then you're gambling on Antonelli, right?

Also, Span is back out of the lineup and considering shutting down for the season.

Very good no trade, IMO.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #278: August 16, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
Very good no trade, IMO.

[s37] Rizzo should be fired for even TAKING THE PHONE CALL. [/s37]

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #279: August 16, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
If Purke, Rendon, Harper, Espinosa, Zim, Morse, Gomes/Nix, Werth, Ramos start 2012 OD, they'll probably win.

Purke, Rendon and Harper will all be in the minors in 2012.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

:crazy:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #280: August 16, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
yeah what does that mean?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #281: August 16, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »
You guys are way too sensitive. All I mean is that it's silly to say he can't make a major league roster when he just signed 4 guys that will be knocking on the door any minute.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #282: August 16, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Could not will.  A distinction that must be made.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #283: August 16, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #284: August 16, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
?

yeah what does that mean?

You guys are way too sensitive. All I mean is that it's silly to say he can't make a major league roster when he just signed 4 guys that will be knocking on the door any minute.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #285: August 16, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
Knowing how far it is from College ball to the Majors, I'd bet that 1-2 of the top four guys (Rendon, Meyer, Goodwin, Purke) don't ever get more than a cup of coffee at best. I'd bet on 1 being an MLB regular and the other being an MLB contributor (4th OF, UT, or bullpen arm). None of these guys or anyone drafted are "sure things".

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #286: August 16, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
:clap:

You said what I was trying to say.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #287: August 16, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
I've always given him credit for solid drafting.

Thus, why I want him as scouting director. I have no faith in his ability to build a major league ball club, though.

Why do you not have faith in him? And on a very related note, who would you replace him with who does?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #288: August 16, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
PoopyNuts37.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #289: August 16, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
PoopyNuts37.
DJ Kitty knows how to spin things.  

Personally, I blame Riggleman. If he had not won the last series for the Mariners, then we would have Dustin Ackley and out middle infield / lead off problem would be solved.

:mg:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #290: August 16, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
Why do you not have faith in him? And on a very related note, who would you replace him with who does?

I don't know... someone that knows how to deal with fellow GM's... and not just agents.

Maybe a co-GM role? Rizzo for the draft/dealing with agents... other guy for dealing with GM's, putting the 25 man together.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #291: August 16, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
I don't know... someone that knows how to deal with fellow GM's... and not just agents.

Maybe a co-GM role? Rizzo for the draft/dealing with agents... other guy for dealing with GM's, putting the 25 man together.

You didn't like his deadline deals this season? His signings of Nix and Hairston, trade for Gomes, trade for Gorzo? Can you point to something other than not re-signing Dunzo Dunn?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #292: August 16, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
You didn't like his deadline deals this season? His signings of Nix and Hairston, trade for Gomes, trade for Gorzo? Can you point to something other than not re-signing Dunzo Dunn?

Sure.

Matt Stairs
Garrett Mock
Slave to Options
Trading Josh Willingham for spare parts (looks like he'll be a Type A)
Beef as a factor as to whether or not a player fits in his plans
Off scouting more than paying attention to the MLB club

That's just a start...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #293: August 16, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »

HRod ... duh

Offline Revere7

• stay positive.
« Reply #294: August 16, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
So, it's great that Rizzo was able to successfully sign all the 2011 top draft picks, but I don't understand why he's getting so much praise for his "coup."  I mean, geez, he spent $16.5 million of the Lerners' money for 5 talented teenagers.  Who couldn't get a handful of good prospects to sign for that kind of cash? 

It also makes me sad that the likes of Rizzo and Boras are setting new precedents for overspending on unproven draft picks.  Good for the Nats but bad for baseball: teams like the A's and Mets and Dodgers can't bankroll those kinds of signing bonuses. 

And you know the fans are ultimately going to have to foot the bill.  I can see it now: no fireworks through 2015 and $20 hot dogs ($30 for kosher dogs)...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #295: August 16, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »
So, it's great that Rizzo was able to successfully sign all the 2011 top draft picks, but I don't understand why he's getting so much praise for his "coup."  I mean, geez, he spent $16.5 million of the Lerners' money for 5 talented teenagers.  Who couldn't get a handful of good prospects to sign for that kind of cash?  

It also makes me sad that the likes of Rizzo and Boras are setting new precedents for overspending on unproven draft picks.  Good for the Nats but bad for baseball: teams like the A's and Mets and Dodgers can't bankroll those kinds of signing bonuses.  

And you know the fans are ultimately going to have to foot the bill.  I can see it now: no fireworks through 2015 and $20 hot dogs ($30 for kosher dogs)...

A lot of people didn't think Goodwin or Purke would sign. They had a remaining year of eligibility and if they had performed as expected, they would have been top 5 picks. 16.5 million looks like a lot now, but next year Purke alone would have been 7.

And the Mets and Dodgers can afford it. They've just mismanaged their money for so long its finally catching up with them.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #296: August 16, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
So, it's great that Rizzo was able to successfully sign all the 2011 top draft picks, but I don't understand why he's getting so much praise for his "coup."  I mean, geez, he spent $16.5 million of the Lerners' money for 5 talented teenagers.  Who couldn't get a handful of good prospects to sign for that kind of cash? 

It also makes me sad that the likes of Rizzo and Boras are setting new precedents for overspending on unproven draft picks.  Good for the Nats but bad for baseball: teams like the A's and Mets and Dodgers can't bankroll those kinds of signing bonuses. 

And you know the fans are ultimately going to have to foot the bill.  I can see it now: no fireworks through 2015 and $20 hot dogs ($30 for kosher dogs)...

What about several mil on a washed up catcher who is on the DL? anyone can frame things that way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #297: August 16, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Interesting Goodwin got $3MM when Jackie Bradley Jr, rep'd by the same agent, got $1.1 MM.  More leverage, I suppose.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: August 16, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
A lot of people didn't think Goodwin or Purke would sign. They had a remaining year of eligibility and if they had performed as expected, they would have been top 5 picks. 16.5 million looks like a lot now, but next year Purke alone would have been 7.

4.15 million with a major league contract and 3 million are top 5 pick money- he didn't exactly negotiate them down to slot

Offline Slateman

« Reply #299: August 16, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
4.15 million with a major league contract and 3 million are top 5 pick money- he didn't exactly negotiate them down to slot

True, very true. A lot of it had to do with them returning to school. Its weird. Baseball is the one sport where the drafted player has more leverage than the team.

And if Purke pans out like we hope, we saved at least 3 million.