Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 309757 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #250: August 04, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
I can't remember a single time when they've done this. The Yankees farm system has been bare for the past five years. Robinson Cano was the last thing that came out of the Yankees farm system of any worth.

Joba, Phil Hughes, and there were a few others that were suppossed to be amazing. I also think Brett Gardner has been decent so that would be another guy along with Cano that came up for them.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #251: August 04, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
I can't remember a single time when they've done this. The Yankees farm system has been bare for the past five years. Robinson Cano was the last thing that came out of the Yankees farm system of any worth.

You're experiencing short term memory loss.  Ian Kennedy?  Phil Hughes?  Joba?  Greatest prospects ever.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #252: August 04, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »
Hey, Ian Kennedy worked out well.

For another team.

So did this guy called Tyler Clippard.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #253: August 04, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
Joba, Phil Hughes, and there were a few others that were suppossed to be amazing. I also think Brett Gardner has been decent so that would be another guy along with Cano that came up for them.

You're experiencing short term memory loss.  Ian Kennedy?  Phil Hughes?  Joba?  Greatest prospects ever.

Hughes was highly touted but hasn't put it together yet. You can say the same thing for Andrew Miller and Homer Bailey. Big pitchers who throw mid 90s and have a great curveball are always highly touted, regardless of team.

Gardner is decent, but he was never really a highly rated prospect. Heck, Melky Cabrera was more highly rated than him.

The Yankees screwed up Joba. Badly. Lets be fair, if the Yankees hadn't jerked him around between starter and relief, he'd probably be a very,very good pitcher right now.

Hey, Ian Kennedy worked out well.

For another team.

So did this guy called Tyler Clippard.

Yea, I don't consider it a Yankees prospect if another team has to fix the player. The Yankees wanted Clippard to be a starter. They flat out gave up on Kennedy. And he hasn't been considered a propspect since 2006. By 2008 he was already being demoted back down to the minors.

Sorry, but this is the best  farm system the Yankees have had in a long time. I don't think anyone is overrating their players. In fact, I'd be willing most teams think they can take them to cleaners because, hey, its the Yankees, they don't need prospects, they're just going to buy everyone else's star players.

Offline blue911

« Reply #254: August 04, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »

It isn't that they all worked out, some suspects were able to bring back: Bobby Abreu, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #255: August 04, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »
Brett Gardner and Austin Jackson say hi, as does Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes before injury.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #256: August 04, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »
Sorry, but this is the best  farm system the Yankees have had in a long time. I don't think anyone is overrating their players. In fact, I'd be willing most teams think they can take them to cleaners because, hey, its the Yankees, they don't need prospects, they're just going to buy everyone else's star players.

You're missing my point.  Those players I named were in fact highly overrated by ESPN and the NY media generally.  Had they been Kansas City Royals prospects you'd have scarcely heard of them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257: August 04, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
Hughes was important in winning a world series for the NYY as a reliever.  If you want to deride that, then deride Tyler Clippard's performance for the Nats. 

Also - David Robertson is better than Drew Storen.  mindfact.

The NYY had no prospects really for the first part of the decade, but have been doing a terrific job building the system the past few years.

Gardner was a great draft choice for them.  He was plan B for Epstein had he not gotten Ellsbury. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258: August 04, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
You're missing my point.  Those players I named were in fact highly overrated by ESPN and the NY media generally.  Had they been Kansas City Royals prospects you'd have scarcely heard of them.
Danny Duffy, Mike Montgomery, and positionless former catcher Wil Myers say hi.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #259: August 04, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
Also - David Robertson is better than Drew Storen.  mindfact.

:woop:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #260: August 04, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
You're missing my point.  Those players I named were in fact highly overrated by ESPN and the NY media generally.  Had they been Kansas City Royals prospects you'd have scarcely heard of them.

All prospects are highly overrated. Hughes was supposed to be a 20 game winner and Cy Young candidate. That wasn't just the NY media and ESPN. That was everyone. Baseball America and Baseball Digest all had him very highly touted.

Overall, the Yankees Farm System has been meh. They've admitted it. The rest of baseball knows it. Its why Cashman has put such a premium on drafting and scouting the past few years. Its why the Yankees were unwilling to trade so many of their prospects for Ubaldo Jimenz. If the Yankees were in the same position five years ago, they would have pulled the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #261: August 16, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
BUMP

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #262: August 16, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
Still should be the Scouting Director.

Never going to change my position on that.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #263: August 16, 2011, 11:14:57 AM »
What did I miss?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #264: August 16, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
That he signed the guys he drafted.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #265: August 16, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
Oh come on, the arthrogram was a masterstroke.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #266: August 16, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

As someone said in the thread, he could have not drafted Purke and gotten a 3rd round talent guy and then signed him. And you'd give him the same amount of credit? Come on dude.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #267: August 16, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
I wonder what SF will say now. SF goes through the same crap every season.  :rofl:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #268: August 16, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
As someone said in the thread, he could have not drafted Purke and gotten a 3rd round talent guy and then signed him. And you'd give him the same amount of credit? Come on dude.

I've always given him credit for solid drafting.

Thus, why I want him as scouting director. I have no faith in his ability to build a major league ball club, though.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #269: August 16, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
I've always given him credit for solid drafting.

Thus, why I want him as scouting director. I have no faith in his ability to build a major league ball club, though.

If Purke, Rendon, Harper, Espinosa, Zim, Morse, Gomes/Nix, Werth, Ramos start 2012 OD, they'll probably win.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #270: August 16, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
Purke, Rendon and Harper will all be in the minors in 2012.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #271: August 16, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »

That's not what I meant and you know it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #272: August 16, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
If Purke, Rendon, Harper, Espinosa, Zim, Morse, Gomes/Nix, Werth, Ramos start 2012 OD, they'll probably win.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

How else could you have possibly meant it?!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #273: August 16, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

If Purke starts 2012 OD, then I'll be worried about Strasburg.
My Rendon ETA is 2012 September; my Harper ETA is 2012 June.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #274: August 16, 2011, 12:00:02 PM »
If Purke starts 2012 OD, then I'll be worried about Strasburg.
My Rendon ETA is 2012 September; my Harper ETA is 2012 June.

All I'm saying is that he can have a major league roster any time he wants with those players, so the linty's comment about not making a major league roster is just wrong.