Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 309777 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #200: August 02, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
Hey guys, we needed "financial relief" this trading deadline, that's why we made these moves.  :|

The Chief reported that Rizzo just said that on MASN.  What a JOKE!

where?

Offline PC

« Reply #201: August 02, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
where?

It was mentioned in the GDT, on the first couple of pages.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #202: August 02, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
Please provide specific evidence of how a player of Marquis' caliber (career 4.52 ERA) got a better return than a mediocre prospect.

Marquis is nothing special. There's a reason he's played on five teams during his careeer.

This guy hits his ass off, I'm happy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #203: August 03, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »
where?

He said it during a pre-game interview with DT.  I don't have a DVR so I can't give you an exact transcript but she asked him about the trade and he specifically mentioned financial relief, then (possibly realizing how that sounded), repeated "financial relief" but made allusions to spending the savings elsewhere.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #204: August 03, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110802&content_id=22655306&notebook_id=22657066&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was&partnerId=rss_was

WASHINGTON -- This past Saturday, the Nationals had a chance to acquire then-Astros center fielder Michael Bourn, but Houston wanted left-hander Ross Detwiler to be part of any deal the two clubs make and Washington declined, according to a baseball source.

Seriously, this is the first I've been in the Fire Rizzo camp.

FRACKING DETWILER IS THE REASON WE DON'T HAVE BOURN ON THE TEAM!?!?!?

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #205: August 03, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
Once again.

Bourn is under team control through 2012. He's not a long term solution.

Secondly, Detwiler was apparently a part of a package. One that may have included someone like Lombo.

Calm down.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #206: August 03, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
Once again.

Bourn is under team control through 2012. He's not a long term solution.

Secondly, Detwiler was apparently a part of a package. One that may have included someone like Lombo.

Calm down.
No, not calming down. We can easily find a replacement for Lom. And I doubt it was because they expect Altuve to be their second baseman for a while. They just called him up from like AA.

No, no no no no. Freaking stupid. Spend some freaking money, sign Bourn to a longer deal and we are set for the next five years in the outfield. Maybe longer if Destin Hood pans out.

The catch was Detwiler. Freaking Detwiler.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #207: August 03, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
No, not calming down. We can easily find a replacement for Lom. And I doubt it was because they expect Altuve to be their second baseman for a while. They just called him up from like AA.

No, no no no no. Freaking stupid. Spend some freaking money, sign Bourn to a longer deal and we are set for the next five years in the outfield. Maybe longer if Destin Hood pans out.

The catch was Detwiler. Freaking Detwiler.

And if Bourn doesn't want to sign a long term deal with the Nats? We're right back where we started 1 year from now, having given up 4 players while still looking for a long term solution.

Besides, we have no idea who was in that "package" anyway.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #208: August 03, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
And if Bourn doesn't want to sign a long term deal with the Nats? We're right back where we started 1 year from now, having given up 4 players while still looking for a long term solution.

Well, what did the Braves give up?

Yea, nothing.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #209: August 03, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

Wasn't the package Storen plus Lombo plus Detwiler for Bourn? I read that the blocking problem was Storen. Rizzo would not trade Storen.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #210: August 03, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
Wasn't the package Storen plus Lombo plus Detwiler for Bourn? I read that the blocking problem was Storen. Rizzo would not trade Storen.
You're thinking of Span.

Okay, maybe it was an overreaction. But I honestly don't think the Astros were asking for Storen. They need to rebuild a farm system. We could have easily matched the Braves offer. Should be a done deal.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #211: August 03, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Well, what did the Braves give up?

Yea, nothing.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Detwiler and Lombo + ?? + ??  is a lot to give up for the Nats, relatively speaking, just to risk him not being around after 2012 when you really need him. For the braves it's not. The braves are in WIN NOW mode. It's completely immaterial to the Braves if Bourn walks after next year because IIRC they have a CF prospect ready to come up soon. It's a different story for the Nats, they'd still be looking for a long term CF.

IMO the Nats are better served addressing it in the off season and looking for someone they can lock up for 2012 and beyond.

My ultimate point is I really don't think any player or players were the reason the Nats didn't pull the trigger. I really think it's because Bourn would only be under team control through next year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #212: August 03, 2011, 03:43:10 PM »
How do we know it was Lombardozzi?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #213: August 03, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
You're thinking of Span.

Okay, maybe it was an overreaction. But I honestly don't think the Astros were asking for Storen. They need to rebuild a farm system. We could have easily matched the Braves offer. Should be a done deal.
If I was the Astros, I'd ask for Storen, but be realistic about expecting less. As for Detwiler, I'd trade him for Bourn - but it would really depend how much else the Astros wanted with Detwiler.

If Rizzo kiboshed Detwiler for Bourn straight up - hand me my [Fire Rizzo] sign and tell me where to march...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #214: August 03, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
How do we know it was Lombardozzi?

I have no idea, I'm just using him as an example

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #215: August 03, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
He said it during a pre-game interview with DT.  I don't have a DVR so I can't give you an exact transcript but she asked him about the trade and he specifically mentioned financial relief, then (possibly realizing how that sounded), repeated "financial relief" but made allusions to spending the savings elsewhere.

lol financial relief. cheap asses.

(this is the part where PA calls me 40 thousand names and insults the new york giants for no reason)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #216: August 03, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
The Bourn trade for them was all about getting quality farm system prospects. Not guys who will turn in to All Stars, but guys who will be good role players.

Detwiler would have been the biggest name there. The rest would have been straight minor leaguers.

Detwiler, Norris and another pitching prospect should have been enough

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #217: August 03, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

If Rizzo kiboshed Detwiler for Bourn straight up - hand me my [Fire Rizzo] sign and tell me where to march...

this.

Offline blue911

« Reply #218: August 03, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
If I was the Astros, I'd ask for Storen, but be realistic about expecting less. As for Detwiler, I'd trade him for Bourn - but it would really depend how much else the Astros wanted with Detwiler.

Maybe Rizzo is trying to pump up Detwiler's value. Rizzo may be floating Detwiler's name to see if there is any interest.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #219: August 03, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
Phil Wood - 2013 is the year of playoff competition...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #220: August 03, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »
:lmao: @ slateman

Too much negativity on these boards

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #221: August 03, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Phil Wood - 2013 is the year of playoff competition...

Lol. I still think next year we are in a playoff race in September.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #222: August 03, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
This crappy post-game show with Phil Wood is grounds for firing!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #223: August 03, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
Spend some freaking money, sign Bourn to a longer deal and we are set for the next five years in the outfield.

Bourn's agent is Boras, he's almost certainly going to test the free agent waters at the end of 2012. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #224: August 03, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
This crappy post-game show with Phil Wood is grounds for firing!