Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 26529 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #450: October 10, 2022, 12:40:51 PM »
Strasburg's entire career has been one of consistently being injured. 2019 was the first time in 5 seasons he's made 30 or lore starts. Anyone expecting him to be even somewhat healthy was delusional. It was literally the perfect time to let him walk

or at least a heavily incentive-laden deal with team options beyond year 3.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #451: October 10, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
Too bad you didn't parlay those four outcomes.  It was the opposite of a perfect set of outcomes.  It was blow after unexpected blow. 

Or maybe it was the front office just not having a good eye for talent (and/or not setting up a good developmental system)?  As they've proven with draft after draft since 2011.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #452: October 10, 2022, 01:34:17 PM »
or at least a heavily incentive-laden deal with team options beyond year 3.

Good luck getting a Boras client to agree to that, especially when they're coming off a WS MVP performance.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #453: October 10, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
Strasburg's entire career has been one of consistently being injured. 2019 was the first time in 5 seasons he's made 30 or lore starts. Anyone expecting him to be even somewhat healthy was delusional. It was literally the perfect time to let him walk
yes, they were deluded to think that they had figured out how to manage his nerve impingement, which you can infer had been giving him problems from 2017 on.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jun/3/timeline-stephen-strasburgs-ample-trips-injured-li/

Strasburg threw 175 1/3 innings in 2017 — his most in three years — and earned his third All-Star nomination. But once the season ended, Strasburg wasn’t sure he ever wanted to earn a spot in the Midsummer Classic again.

The right-hander didn’t appear in the All-Star Game, but he attributed the change in routine to what caused a nerve issue in his right elbow that caused him to miss three weeks. “I just know that little lapse, for whatever reason, it pushed me back a bit,” Strasburg said in December 2017.

“It started making my arm hurt. My arm felt good before that, then it was, like, after that, it just didn’t feel right.”

From that right elbow nerve issue, he had right shoulder inflammation and a cervical nerve impingement diagnosed in 2018, when he made the fewest starts since 2011.  2020 was carpal tunnel, then 2021 was the TOS.

Sure, letting him walk was an option, but I think what happened was they thought 2019 showed he'd be more like 2014-2017 Stras for a few years. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #454: October 10, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »
Or maybe it was the front office just not having a good eye for talent (and/or not setting up a good developmental system)?  As they've proven with draft after draft since 2011.
no argument that the development system was lacking for a while and they were basically patching holes with vets after about 2018 or so, but the the specific problem that made the patches not work anymore was the coincidence of the high end system products (Robles, Kieboom, both highly rated prospects) failing while 2 of the 3 big pitchers also broke down or became the worst starter in the majors.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #455: October 10, 2022, 01:45:44 PM »
It was so unfortunate for the Nats that his option just happened to be post 2019.    Any other year, he would not have exercised his option, and living with the old contract would have been fine.  Hell if Soto didn't get that hit in the Wild Card game, then he probably doesn't exercise it.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #456: October 10, 2022, 03:03:25 PM »

Sure, letting him walk was an option, but I think what happened was they thought 2019 showed he'd be more like 2014-2017 Stras for a few years. 
At the 245 million dollar contract,  it would have been wiser to let him walk, even if he was going to perform like that

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #457: October 10, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
Too bad you didn't parlay those four outcomes.  It was the opposite of a perfect set of outcomes.  It was blow after unexpected blow. 

Maybe just maybe Stasburg breaking down was a likely outcome, but even that was for the tail end of his contract, not right away.  Robles was coming off a 3+ WAR year in his first full season after a good end of season review, top 10 prospect status, and a complete package of physical skills.  Maybe some folks had said his contact was too soft, but his game wasn't as a power hitter.  Kieboom, yes, prospects bust, but you can cover for one spot. 

Robles going into a pumpkin after 2019 was definitely the biggest disappointment. Just never could figure out how to hit.

Offline imref

« Reply #458: October 10, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »
Robles going into a pumpkin after 2019 was definitely the biggest disappointment. Just never could figure out how to hit.
or throw, or run, or bunt....

Offline blue911

« Reply #459: October 10, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »

This is what’s so disappointing.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #460: October 10, 2022, 04:40:44 PM »

I kinda see him being DFA'd. At least that is what I want.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #461: October 11, 2022, 10:44:41 PM »
Robles was supposed to be what Juan Soto actually became. When both were in the Nats minor league system, it was all Robles Robles Robles. Imagine what the Nats could have gotten for him in a trade before he made his MLB debut.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #462: October 12, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
Robles was supposed to be what Juan Soto actually became. When both were in the Nats minor league system, it was all Robles Robles Robles. Imagine what the Nats could have gotten for him in a trade before he made his MLB debut.
or after 2019.  But there was no way they were going to move him then.  The Realmuto deal would have been way too much because I think they were asking for Robles and Soto, but he legitimately was worth about what Robert Hassell or Abrams were.  I think he was the #5 prospect, but I think Dallas McPherson and Reid Brignac were in that range, too.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #463: October 12, 2022, 12:17:04 PM »
Realmuto

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #464: October 12, 2022, 12:35:37 PM »
Realmuto
As someone else noted they wanted Soto also and Realmuto was soon to be a free agent. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #465: October 12, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
The Nats just sent out an email blast about their Select a Seat event coming up next month for plan holders to upgrade their seats. This event is held after seats open up when plan holders fail to renew by the deadline. I'm thinking that if I were a potential owner bidding on the team I would want the Lerners to hold off on bouncing anyone from their seats until after the transfer of ownership. Give the new group time to put on the hard sell.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #466: October 12, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »
The Nats just sent out an email blast about their Select a Seat event coming up next month for plan holders to upgrade their seats. This event is held after seats open up when plan holders fail to renew by the deadline. I'm thinking that if I were a potential owner bidding on the team I would want the Lerners to hold off on bouncing anyone from their seats until after the transfer of ownership. Give the new group time to put on the hard sell.

Who knows if a new group is going to actually emerge with a deal anytime soon. If they weren’t inclined to weigh in enough to keep Soto until the off-season,  I doubt they’ll be likely to move on this.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #467: October 12, 2022, 01:46:42 PM »
Who knows if a new group is going to actually emerge with a deal anytime soon. If they weren’t inclined to weigh in enough to keep Soto until the off-season,  I doubt they’ll be likely to move on this.

The team had somewhere north of 15,000 full season equivalent plans sold for 2022. Why would the team rush to push any of them out? In the good years the team was in a big hurry to get as much renewal money as quickly as possible, but now that many plan holders are dropping out why not give them as much time as possible to reconsider? Particularly with the team up for sale.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #468: October 12, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
The team had somewhere north of 15,000 full season equivalent plans sold for 2022. Why would the team rush to push any of them out? In the good years the team was in a big hurry to get as much renewal money as quickly as possible, but now that many plan holders are dropping out why not give them as much time as possible to reconsider? Particularly with the team up for sale.

Given the logic (sic) of their raising prices after last year‘s sell off and the number of longtime STHs including posters here who either dropped or reduced their ticket packages, can we really put anything in this vein past the powers that be?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #469: October 12, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

I wondering if the numbers are underwhelming compared to what the Lerners were expecting. The MASN debacle paired with pathetic attendance and fan interest that is highly dependent on winning (which requires spending), the team may just not be worth what they thought it was.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #470: October 12, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
I wondering if the numbers are underwhelming compared to what the Lerners were expecting. The MASN debacle paired with pathetic attendance and fan interest that is highly dependent on winning (which requires spending), the team may just not be worth what they thought it was.

Yep. People could theorize that they could get a particular number, but you still have to get somebody willing to bite and willing to unravel the mess with which Selig appeared to burden the franchise. What a shock that insisting on moving Soto when they did might not have moved the needle at all, except potentially negatively

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #471: October 12, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »

Sports teams are run horribly 99% of the time. There's so much turnover in the ticketing arm of teams that there's no reason to look deeply into it.

Offline imref

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #473: October 12, 2022, 09:41:04 PM »
Given the logic (sic) of their raising prices after last year‘s sell off and the number of longtime STHs including posters here who either dropped or reduced their ticket packages, can we really put anything in this vein past the powers that be?

Count me as one of those longtime STHs who dropped out.  We've had a full-season plan since 2005 but I've had it with the team.  The 20% increase last year was a massive slap in the face, and in general I think the STH perks have gone down over the years.  I'm not saying I'm totally out, but I will wait until next February to see if they come to their senses and maybe I will pick up a smaller plan.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #474: October 13, 2022, 07:32:40 AM »
Ted speaks: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjoQdbtpCpR/

When asked whether the reports are accurate, he said he's "not allowed to comment." That’s enough of an answer!