Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 27189 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #275: August 19, 2022, 11:25:36 AM »
Well I had to Google it, it's an interesting read.

Easily affordable seats, in the meantime, have essentially disappeared. Analysts at the Team Marketing Report started tracking a “Fan Cost Index” in the 1990s. These analysts have been calculating how much a typical family of four spends for a day or a night out at the ballpark, including everything from average-price tickets and souvenir caps to hot dogs and parking. By 2002, families were paying an average $145 to watch a Major League Baseball game in person. The latest tally: an average $256.

The difference between now and when I had ticket plans is insane. I barely pay for tickets anymore. I mostly go when the company gives me tickets.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #276: August 19, 2022, 01:06:07 PM »
One thing I've notices is that spot hero has become a rip-off. I paid $42 to reserve a spot for last Friday's game at a garage about a block or so from the stadium. When I pulled in they had a sign out front advertising parking for $35 and plenty of spots available. Several other garages around the stadium were in the $30s but weren't listed on spot hero.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #277: August 19, 2022, 01:38:21 PM »
One thing I've notices is that spot hero has become a rip-off. I paid $42 to reserve a spot for last Friday's game at a garage about a block or so from the stadium. When I pulled in they had a sign out front advertising parking for $35 and plenty of spots available. Several other garages around the stadium were in the $30s but weren't listed on spot hero.

The best feature for Spot Hero is the no penalty last minute cancellation. I'll reserve a parking pass, then if the cash price is cheaper I cancel the Spot Hero pass. This isn't new, World Series Parking was much higher on Spot Hero than the cash prices at the lots.

Parking is the biggest obsticle to getting in and out of Nats Park without spending too much cash. Cheap seats are plentiful and you can still bring your own food. Drink a couple before walking in the door to save on drink costs. But the days of $15 parking across the street are probably gone for good. My buddy parks for free on the street, only problem is that he typlically shows us in the third or fourth inning after circling around.

Offline imref

« Reply #278: August 19, 2022, 02:00:55 PM »
The best feature for Spot Hero is the no penalty last minute cancellation. I'll reserve a parking pass, then if the cash price is cheaper I cancel the Spot Hero pass. This isn't new, World Series Parking was much higher on Spot Hero than the cash prices at the lots.

Parking is the biggest obsticle to getting in and out of Nats Park without spending too much cash. Cheap seats are plentiful and you can still bring your own food. Drink a couple before walking in the door to save on drink costs. But the days of $15 parking across the street are probably gone for good. My buddy parks for free on the street, only problem is that he typlically shows us in the third or fourth inning after circling around.

yeah, parking has gotten a lot more expensive. I used to park at the Yards lot for $20 IIRC before they closed it, but you had to be there early as it filled up. There is cheaper parking near the Yards Park. For last Friday's game, spot hero's only options near the park were $40 and $125.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #279: August 19, 2022, 02:09:10 PM »
I gave up on parking. I just pay for the Nats lots closest to the stadium. It is worth it if the tickets are free and I don't go often.

I don't drink at games so that saves money.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #280: August 19, 2022, 07:37:35 PM »
The best feature for Spot Hero is the no penalty last minute cancellation. I'll reserve a parking pass, then if the cash price is cheaper I cancel the Spot Hero pass.

That is a nice SpotHero perk, but I'm pretty sure you need to cancel before your reservation window starts.  So, you need to get down there before your reservation to scope things out and see if you find something cheaper.  In my mind, probably not worth the $5 to $10 that you might save.

I don't drink at games so that saves money.

Man, that must make watching the Nats this year SO much harder.   :lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #281: August 19, 2022, 08:00:18 PM »
That is a nice SpotHero perk, but I'm pretty sure you need to cancel before your reservation window starts.  So, you need to get down there before your reservation to scope things out and see if you find something cheaper.  In my mind, probably not worth the $5 to $10 that you might save.

Man, that must make watching the Nats this year SO much harder.   :lol:

I've parked then canceled plenty of times. Before first pitch though.

Offline imref

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #283: August 23, 2022, 03:16:33 PM »
Not sure if this has any bearing on Ted buying the Nats:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/monumental-sports-buying-remaining-stake-in-nbc-sports-washington-from-comcast-nbcuniversal/3139599/

I'm not sure why it would matter. MASN owns the national's rights and has no incentive or reason to ever sell

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #284: August 23, 2022, 03:43:05 PM »
I imagine a lot of teams are going to be taking over their RSNs as they continue their death spiral.  They're probably pretty cheap now, have carriage agreements in place and they can have a softer landing if they are just losing 10% of subscribers a year vs the RSN going bankrupt and them left with nothing.   

There is a small possibility though if they own NBC sports and become minority owners of MASN (through buying the Nats) that they could use some combined leverage in carriage deals or build a combined streaming platform.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #285: August 23, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »
you'd think a vehicle that had the Nats and Mystics as well as the two winter teams and would be more valuable than just having the Mystics for the summer.  As to whether that's an RSN or streaming platform I don't know.

Also, you wonder if he could turn around to Angelos and say getting on his platform would be more valuable than running MASN and paying a rights fee and % of MASN.  Then you'd have really strong group for year-round.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #286: August 23, 2022, 04:29:46 PM »
I imagine a lot of teams are going to be taking over their RSNs as they continue their death spiral.  They're probably pretty cheap now, have carriage agreements in place and they can have a softer landing if they are just losing 10% of subscribers a year vs the RSN going bankrupt and them left with nothing.   

There is a small possibility though if they own NBC sports and become minority owners of MASN (through buying the Nats) that they could use some combined leverage in carriage deals or build a combined streaming platform.   

That would require buy in from the Os- good luck with that

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #287: August 23, 2022, 04:30:32 PM »
you'd think a vehicle that had the Nats and Mystics as well as the two winter teams and would be more valuable than just having the Mystics for the summer.  As to whether that's an RSN or streaming platform I don't know.

Also, you wonder if he could turn around to Angelos and say getting on his platform would be more valuable than running MASN and paying a rights fee and % of MASN.  Then you'd have really strong group for year-round.

I think Angelos like owning the Nats' rights and likes that they have zero say in MASN

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #288: August 23, 2022, 04:46:39 PM »
Leonsis should just wait and buy the Os, then he'd control all of the local sports broadcast rights.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #289: August 23, 2022, 05:14:56 PM »

Wait... what death spiral? RSN are quite valuable right now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #291: August 23, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »
Would MLB want a guy who already owns two local pro teams?

I have no doubt with the right ownership group he’d be liquid enough. But what if he gets the team and is absentee?Or decided to put his back into some Caps or Wizards project versus buffing up Nationals?

I think an engaged Leonsis would be fine. We could do worse. But I feel like we need an owner ready to come in and be hands on for a while.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #292: August 23, 2022, 08:17:44 PM »
Would MLB want a guy who already owns two local pro teams?

I have no doubt with the right ownership group he’d be liquid enough. But what if he gets the team and is absentee?Or decided to put his back into some Caps or Wizards project versus buffing up Nationals?

I think an engaged Leonsis would be fine. We could do worse. But I feel like we need an owner ready to come in and be hands on for a while.
Best case, we don't want an "ownership group." We want a mega-rich Steve Cohen type who isn't cost conscious. Only goal is to win championships. Ted isn't the right guy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #293: August 23, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »
Best case, we don't want an "ownership group." We want a mega-rich Steve Cohen type who isn't cost conscious. Only goal is to win championships. Ted isn't the right guy.
We want someone with money but more importantly someone who can hire the right people to make it a solid baseball franchise.  Not sure that is Ted.  Success in hockey but not basketball. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #294: August 23, 2022, 09:16:25 PM »
Why doesn't this guy fix the franchises he has before going for full DC monopoly?? No thanks.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #295: August 23, 2022, 09:21:28 PM »
Two of them won trophies in the past 5 years, why not add a third. 
Why doesn't this guy fix the franchises he has before going for full DC monopoly?? No thanks.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #296: August 23, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »
Ted is in - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/23/ted-leonsis-washington-nationals-nbc-sports-washington/

This is in that article:

"Any would-be owner of the Nationals would have to reach a deal with the Orioles to gain control of the Nationals’ local television rights."

Where did that come from? I haven't heard that before.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #297: August 23, 2022, 09:42:25 PM »
How can the legal system let this MASN disagreement go on this long. Something is wrong with the system. Does anybody know where this stands now?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: August 23, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
How can the legal system let this MASN disagreement go on this long. Something is wrong with the system. Does anybody know where this stands now?

The contract is designed to require litigation every reset cycle (I think it’s 5 years)

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #299: August 23, 2022, 09:56:41 PM »
The contract is designed to require litigation every reset cycle (I think it’s 5 years)

But they haven't even settled the litigation from when it was due the first time much less the subsequent time which is also up.