Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 27259 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #675: December 08, 2022, 05:10:41 PM »
I’m a cord cutter who can’t watch my team. I’m willing to pay to watch my team, but there is no one to pay. I know a lot of people in the same situation. For the most part were in our 40s with families. For some reason, baseball wants to pretend we don’t exist. It’s been years now since my kids have seen the Nats on TV- that seems like a bad way to build a fanbase. Whatever they do, the need to solve in market streaming

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #676: December 08, 2022, 05:28:48 PM »
I’m a cord cutter who can’t watch my team. I’m willing to pay to watch my team, but there is no one to pay. I know a lot of people in the same situation. For the most part were in our 40s with families. For some reason, baseball wants to pretend we don’t exist. It’s been years now since my kids have seen the Nats on TV- that seems like a bad way to build a fanbase. Whatever they do, the need to solve in market streaming

They'll figure it out in 10 years, after everyone under the age of 20 has completely moved on from baseball. Great sport imo

Offline catocony

« Reply #677: December 08, 2022, 05:36:01 PM »
What is the delay between the end of the live game and when it's available to stream on MLB?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #678: December 08, 2022, 05:47:56 PM »

THere are ways around this. Theres been a net of sportsurge the last few years that enables the viewing of in network games ;)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #679: December 08, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
What is the delay between the end of the live game and when it's available to stream on MLB?
Its not much, but its not really convenient to start a ball game at 10:45 at night. 

The worst part is what they consider "in network." When I was stationed in Hawaii, everything on the west coast was blacked out, along with Arizona, as "local games." THat meant that on any given day, 7 of the 15 available games might be blacked out to me.

On the other hand, Nats games were available as soon as I secured for the day.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #680: December 08, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »
THere are ways around this. Theres been a net of sportsurge the last few years that enables the viewing of in network games ;)

It’s easier to just watch something else on Netflix

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #682: December 08, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/nationalssource/status/1601027029910327296?s=46&t=bemICwKpHHcByExKBde62A
I am curious about the part about the Orioles owning the TV rights of the Nats whether MASN exists or not.   The MASN agreement is a complicated framework for paying the Nats a market rate and kicking back a portion of MASN profits through an ownership share.   If MASN didn't exist, then what the hell happens?   I don't think the full tv rights just transfer to the Orioles to sell as they like.    If there is a defined percentage of rights that kick back to the Os, then that makes an easy settlement.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #684: January 10, 2023, 08:30:16 PM »
There can’t be a sale with MASN unresolved and MASN isn’t getting resolved anytime soon

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #685: January 10, 2023, 10:04:15 PM »
The Orioles will be unable to sell their team either without a resolution on MASN. I am sure the younger Angelos knows that. Have a picture in my mind of the old man in his bed with tubes all over his body whispering “I’ll never agree to a deal with the Nats on MASN.”  And the son thinking about why he has not disconnected the tubes.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #686: January 10, 2023, 11:54:53 PM »
No sale https://www.talknats.com/2023/01/10/breaking-source-sale-nats-said-no-sale-current-status/

This part of the article is encouraging:

"The good news in the past few weeks has been the hiring of several highly qualified individuals for the analytics department, minor league development system, and the front office. There has also been hirings of some old employees that left and have come back another source told us that “the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side.”

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #687: January 11, 2023, 11:55:39 AM »
This part of the article is encouraging:

"The good news in the past few weeks has been the hiring of several highly qualified individuals for the analytics department, minor league development system, and the front office. There has also been hirings of some old employees that left and have come back another source told us that “the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side.”

I think Dougherty, and perhaps others, have written about those hirings, although I seem to recall him expressing some thinly veiled skepticism that the front office will actually change their ways of operating. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #688: January 11, 2023, 12:49:46 PM »
I think Dougherty, and perhaps others, have written about those hirings, although I seem to recall him expressing some thinly veiled skepticism that the front office will actually change their ways of operating.
I’m sure every team hire highly talented individuals. According to them anyway. Same data out there for everyone. It’s how they manipulate and package it for the players so it’s usable. I think we know Rizzo is old school and Davey strikes me as old school also. Skeptics of any data that does not for their eye tests.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #689: January 12, 2023, 02:15:44 AM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #690: January 12, 2023, 06:37:49 AM »
Well I am sure the bids are less than they want but I find it amusing that anyone is using the Sports Junkies as a source.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #691: January 12, 2023, 06:49:59 AM »
Well I am sure the bids are less than they want but I find it amusing that anyone is using the Sports Junkies as a source.

They're probably more connected to local sports, especially Leonsis, than they get credit for. They aren't a bunch of kids anymore doing bikini contests, they are a bunch of old rich guys who spend their days golfing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #692: January 12, 2023, 08:15:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/DeanSchleicher/status/1613367757965336577?s=20&t=_6UihpyHntLHbDurw7BySQ

Bids have been just over $1b. Lerners wanted $2b.
It's funny that team after team is selling for more than Forbes estimates their value but the Nats are valued at 30-40% that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #693: January 12, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »

Most of the sources posted here are dubious.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #694: January 12, 2023, 09:07:55 AM »
They're probably more connected to local sports, especially Leonsis, than they get credit for. They aren't a bunch of kids anymore doing bikini contests, they are a bunch of old rich guys who spend their days golfing.

They’re still kids.  And not rich unless you believe their gambling claims.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #695: January 12, 2023, 09:32:17 AM »
Most of the sources posted here are dubious.
Not clear to me who the sources are?  Lurch (don’t call me Lurch) said it was what he was hearing. Maybe it was a dream.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #696: January 12, 2023, 09:50:14 AM »
Not clear to me who the sources are?  Lurch (don’t call me Lurch) said it was what he was hearing. Maybe it was a dream.

I would assume that they all have contacts in monumental or in the caps and wizards front offices

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #697: January 12, 2023, 10:03:27 AM »
I would assume that they all have contacts in monumental or in the caps and wizards front offices
So if true that’s the Leonsis spin.  In any event the MASN deal needs some resolution or the Nats and Orioles will just be in limbo for a long time. Not good for MLB.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #698: January 12, 2023, 10:51:59 AM »
Once again, I just don't understand how the courts can just sit on the MASN situation and DO NOTHING. What's wrong with the court system when they're allowed to do this.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #699: January 12, 2023, 11:01:57 AM »

It was a circular reference, the Junkies referenced the report from Talk Nats, and Talk Nats thought that they had independent confirmation. I think that the numbers Lurch used were speculation, although I have not heard the audio.

Seems like when the bidders saw the financials and the MASN case they all ran away, with the exception of Leonsis who thought he could strike a deal with Angelos, when that fell through the whole sale collapsed.

I'm waiting for the report on which Lerner family members want to sell and which ones want to keep the team. They obviously are no longer on the same page.