Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Brady House, SS  (Read 13432 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Follow the Prospects: Brady House, SS
« Reply #25: July 11, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
Watson continues to slide. Nats took a long time on their pick. Wonder if his demands are crazy or he’s pushing himself down to a specific team, or just going to college.

Online RD

« Reply #26: July 11, 2021, 08:55:52 PM »
Watson still out there. Bonus demands must be making teams think twice.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #27: July 11, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
House kinda looks like Arenado. I'd be cool with that. O'Dowd comp'd him to Matt Chapman. That'd be just fine, too.

Either one would be an incredible result.

Online RD

« Reply #28: July 11, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »
Watson continues to slide. Nats took a long time on their pick. Wonder if his demands are crazy or he’s pushing himself down to a specific team, or just going to college.

Beat me to it. Other teams are obviously being deterred as well.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #29: July 11, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
Well he goes to the Marlins

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: July 11, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
The MLB radio analyst was saying his problem is that he's inconsistent and often has a long swing that's easy for pitchers to overcome by pitching him inside (sounds like Kieboom), but he's only 18, so plenty of time to grow and improve. I wonder if they'll put him in Fredricksburg or wait until next year.  Best case scenario is he arrives in the majors in 25 or 26 so not going to be a factor with what we do with Trea or Garcia.

This says he's already shortened his swing:
https://www.mlb.com/news/brady-house-drafted-no-11-by-nationals

This is a good pick, IMHO, at 11. Every mock draft I saw had him going no lower than 8, and several had him going at #3.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #31: July 11, 2021, 11:14:26 PM »
11. Nationals: Brady House, SS, Winder-Barrow HS (Winder, Ga.)
Well, I'll say it again: another team that has to be surprised (and thrilled) with the guy that fell to it. We kept hearing the Nationals were eyeing power arms, but when one of the elite shortstops is still on the table, you can't pass him up. House is the best power hitter in this Draft and has a chance to stick at shortstop. Even if he probably winds up moving to third base, the bat will easily profile there, and he's got the arm and enough quickness to be a quality defender there. -- Callis. More >

Offline hotshot

« Reply #32: July 12, 2021, 08:00:48 AM »
From ESPN:

"Why the Nationals took (House) here: With Washington's highest pick since taking Anthony Rendon sixth in 2011, Mike Rizzo changes his usual course and goes for a position player after seven of the Nationals' eight first-round picks since Rendon had been pitchers. But House follows Rizzo's preference for high-upside talent, and McDaniel has described House as the prep player with the most upside in the draft. His power is as impressive as any player's in the draft if he can make enough contact to get to it. -- Schoenfield

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #33: July 12, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
11. Nationals

Pick: Brady House
School: Winder-Barrow HS, Winder, Ga.
Position: SS

Instant Analysis: The Nationals' farm system has some big arms, but it's lighter on potential impact hitters. This pick will start to change that, as the Nationals land a potential middle of the order bat with House, who has outstanding raw power and has shown the ability to tap into that power against live pitching. He moves well at shortstop right now for his size, but he most likely slides over to third base, with a chance to be above-average on both sides of the ball.

Scouting Report: House entered the 2021 draft cycle as the top high school prospect in the class thanks to an impressive combination of physicality, explosive tools and a lengthy track record of hitting at a high level. Listed at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, House stands out for his impressive bat speed and natural strength, with many scouts believing he will grow into 70-grade raw power at physical maturity. He pairs that power with an advanced offensive approach that includes solid pitch recognition and the ability to turn around velocity and recognize spin out of the hand. House wasn’t quite as explosive as scouts wanted him to be offensively over the showcase circuit, showing more swing and miss than desired, but he more than flashed his upside and skill set. While he does have a tendency to swing through pitches, when he makes contact it’s frequently hard with standout exit velocities. Outside of his power, House’s arm strength is likely his loudest tool, with a true howitzer of an arm that has been up into the mid 90s when he’s gotten on the mound and would easily play at third base or right field if necessary. A shortstop now, House has proven to be a better defender than scouts anticipated considering his size. Most expect that he’ll move off the position in the long run, but he has solid hands and reactions, as well as an impressive internal clock, body control and athleticism that allow him to make difficult plays. He does have the tools to be a solid defender at shortstop or a very good one at third base, but there’s no reason to move him off short until a superior defender forces him off or until his lack of elite quick-twitch mobility becomes prohibitive. House projects as an average runner in the future, though he has turned in above-average run times. The Tennessee commit seems like a safe top-10 pick and has some of the loudest offensive upside in the class.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #34: July 12, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »
^^^ Another BA breakdown

Offline imref

« Reply #35: July 12, 2021, 11:52:14 AM »
Another look at House, arguing that he compares with Austin Riley.

https://lastwordonsports.com/baseball/2021/05/31/brady-house-2021-mlb-draft-profile/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: July 12, 2021, 01:04:53 PM »
The MLB radio analyst was saying his problem is that he's inconsistent and often has a long swing that's easy for pitchers to overcome by pitching him inside (sounds like Kieboom), but he's only 18, so plenty of time to grow and improve. I wonder if they'll put him in Fredricksburg or wait until next year.  Best case scenario is he arrives in the majors in 25 or 26 so not going to be a factor with what we do with Trea or Garcia.

This says he's already shortened his swing:
https://www.mlb.com/news/brady-house-drafted-no-11-by-nationals

This is a good pick, IMHO, at 11. Every mock draft I saw had him going no lower than 8, and several had him going at #3.
he has 5 years before he must be added to the 40 man, so that takes him out to 2025 or 2026, depending on whether this year counts.  Should be ready when Soto leaves.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #37: July 15, 2021, 12:26:36 PM »
Really hoping I’ll get to se whom play in Fredericksburg before the end of the season

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: July 15, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »
Probably should wait until he signs before starting this . . .

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #39: July 15, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
Probably should wait until he signs before starting this . . .

Too late.  We’re in too deep

Offline imref

« Reply #40: July 15, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »
Too late.  We’re in too deep

I wanted to keep the discussion on him in its own thread, and I don't think we've ever had a #1 pick that we didn't sign.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: July 15, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
I wanted to keep the discussion on him in its own thread, and I don't think we've ever had a #1 pick that we didn't sign.
I don't want you to eat Crow, but . . .

Offline imref

« Reply #42: July 15, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »
I don't want you to eat Crow, but . . .

one in club history.  I think with the slotting system he'll sign.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #43: July 15, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »
one in club history.  I think with the slotting system he'll sign.

Lile’s probably the one to worry about, if any

Offline wj73

« Reply #44: August 19, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
Long article in The Athletic about House. Apparently the kid has been an outsize talent from the get-go, and willing to work hard to be the best.

https://theathletic.com/2777676/2021/08/19/we-can-say-brady-house-hit-our-car-tales-from-the-hometown-of-the-nationals-first-rounder/

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #45: August 23, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
Made us debut today in complex league and went 2-3 with an rbi

Offline imref

« Reply #46: August 24, 2021, 12:15:24 AM »
Made us debut today in complex league and went 2-3 with an rbi

:thumbs:

Offline imref

« Reply #47: August 24, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »
Hit a grand slam today, first career pro home run.

Call him up!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #49: August 25, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
That’s what I like