Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16597 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2020)
« Reply #225: July 13, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »
Was it ever really Native Americans who were offended by the name, or a bunch of virtue signaling white people?

This current name-change move was triggered by investors (most, if not all, white) who held significant shares in FedEx, Nike etc and decided to make these companies threaten to pull out if the Redskins don't change their name. So basically you're right.

I don't think 90% of First Nations members oppose the name change (as one poll claimed) but there do seem to be quite a few who do oppose such changes. Perhaps the best articulation of this was from the late Ken Beatrice, who once spoke with a First Nations member about this; that person told Beatrice that he wished people would get as exercised about lack of job opportunities, education, health care and adequate housing on the reservations as they do about these team names.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #226: July 13, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »
Was it ever really Native Americans who were offended by the name, or a bunch of virtue signaling white people?

Seminoles specifically or Native American nicknames in general?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #227: July 13, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
Seminoles specifically or Native American nicknames in general?

I was talking about the Redskins, the Seminole Tribe seems fine with using their name for the team (and they make some nice money from it). Ive not seen any Native Americans calling for the name change only a bunch of white people, maybe I’ve missed it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #228: July 13, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
that person told Beatrice that he wished people would get as exercised about lack of job opportunities, education, health care and adequate housing on the reservations as they do about these team names.

Seriously!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #229: July 13, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »

The name "Seminoles" or the name "Redskins?"

Offline RJ2kWJ

« Reply #230: July 13, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
The Florida State Seminoles name isn’t going anywhere. That relationship between the tribe and the school is very special. Simply starting out with free education, plus $$$$, plus events the tribe holds for the school, the list is pages and pages long about the things they do for one another and with each other.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #231: July 13, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Just get rid of that dam chop.  Free sneakers are fine.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #232: July 13, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
Just get rid of that dam chop.  Free sneakers are fine.

That should go for the Braves supporters too. It gets crashingly boring to hear that dumb chant starting up 30,000 times a match.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #234: July 13, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
That should go for the Braves supporters too. It gets crashingly boring to hear that dumb chant starting up 30,000 times a match.
Yep

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #235: July 13, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »
Jim Vance and a lot of other African Americans around here, so not all white people. Native Americans are mixed on it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
The Washington Woke

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #238: July 13, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »

A small group of Native Americans protested outside FedEx. On the other hand, the Post reported that 90% of NAs said they did not care.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The question is, and I don’t know the answer, how many have to not like it for us to do something about it? Especially since the cost of changing it is low cost.

The study I posted above was more rigorous and showed that about half wanted it changed and it went up to 70 percent when you asked people who had a strong Native American identity.

Lastly, I don’t think it’s only up to people of one race to complain about a slur. I would like to think my White, Asian, and Native American friends would be offended for me If there was a team called, say, the Colorado N——-s.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
The Washington Senators

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The question is, and I don’t know the answer, how many have to not like it for us to do something about it? Especially since the cost of changing it is low cost.

The study I posted above was more rigorous and showed that about half wanted it changed and it went up to 70 percent when you asked people who had a strong Native American identity.

Lastly, I don’t think it’s only up to people of one race to complain about a slur. I would like to think my White, Asian, and Native American friends would be offended for me If there was a team called, say, the Colorado N——-s.

Sure, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone call a Native American a "redskin" like ever let alone as a put down.  I don't know, the logo just always looked so regal to me, unlike the caricature that the Indians sported and I totally get any Native American being like "hey that's pretty gross".  I just never thought of the Redskins' logo as anything other than just cool and majestic and like I said never really heard a huge outcry from the Native American population, a lot of the stuff I've read actually said the younger Native Americans in particular appreciated the logo a lot.  It seemed whenever I heard someone complain it was just some white journalist but maybe I've been wrong all these years and it was a huge blight on the Native Americans. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The Washington Senators
Senators are offensive to everyone anymore :lol:

Offline blue911

Anytime a minority has been brutalized and subjugated, any term that is used to belittle them isn’t appropriate. It’s fine for members of a minority to use these terms because they are not the oppressors i.e. The Irish can call each other Paddy but it’s wholly inappropriate for an Englishman to use the term.

Most of the statements I’ve read regarding Redskins are along the lines of “ somebody calling me a name isn’t close to the real problems of alcoholism, drug abuse, lack of proper medical care, job and educational opportunities that we are struggling with on a daily basis”.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
I'm sad. The name, logo and colors are basically the only things remaining about the team I actually like.

"B-but it signifies a new era and us turning things around!"

Shut up no it won't.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Senators are offensive to everyone anymore :lol:

Washington Rubios.
Washington Sanders.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Washington Rubios.
Washington Sanders.

The horror!! :panic: :panic: lol

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm guessing it's the Warriors...an added benefit would also be using the former spear logo until they get cancelled for that too...

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm guessing it's the Warriors...an added benefit would also be using the former spear logo until they get cancelled for that too...

(Image removed from quote.)
It will be whatever Dannie thinks will help him make the most money. 

Offline NatNasty

Not a single one of my friends of American Indian heritage, including my wife, ever found the Team name or logo (which is totally bad ass, btw) to be offensive.  Just freaking sad and pathetic.

Washington Partisans

Washington Commies

Washington PC Bullcrap

Washington Liberals

Washington Snyders

Washington Red Asses

Washington Cancel Culture

Washington Nasty (my favorite)