Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 55856 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Not in the lineup today.  Don’t think he has played the past few days. 

Offline Natsinpwc

.754 OPS after 19 plate appearances in 6 games.  Does have 3 walks. 

Offline Mattionals

.754 OPS after 19 plate appearances in 6 games.  Does have 3 walks.
So that should probably translate to a .600 OPS in the bigs. My guess is he either makes the roster as a 4th OF our of ST or gets cut.

Offline Natsinpwc

So that should probably translate to a .600 OPS in the bigs. My guess is he either makes the roster as a 4th OF our of ST or gets cut.
Small sample size so far but he doesn’t seem to have improved much at the plate despite a few promising weeks last spring.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think he starts or gets cut.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

If I had a choice, I would choose that the Nats sign a left-fielder and send Alex Call to AAA. Young and Robles compete for CF. Young is a better fielder, and Robles has not hit except for five or six weeks to begin last season.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Updated MWL stats: .238 / .385 / .286, 26 PAs, 4BBs, 3Ks, 0HRs, 0SBs

Very small sample size, but not promising at all.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

so 9 PAs over the past 2+ weeks? Sounds like he hasn't been playing much.

Offline Natsinpwc

Those were his final stats.  Not clear if he was injured or just wanted to test his body for a bit. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/how-secure-is-robles-job-in-center-field

At Davey's first presser, he said CF would be a battle between Robles and Young. Reporters followed up at his second presser:

“If I had a say right now, I’d say Vic has a little bit of the upper hand,” Martinez clarified. “But I liked everything I saw about Jacob. He’s young, but you’ve got to remember, Vic is still really young. And he got hurt. I want to give him the opportunity to come back this year, and have a good spring training and see what he can do. I love what Jacob did, and I know he can play up here and help us win games. I think he showed that, and I think he’s going to get better. But Vic was our center fielder, and right now I say they’re going to compete. If they both were equal, I would say that Vic has the upper hand.”

Zuckerman suggests Young could benefit from more time at AAA (just 4 games last year) after looking ok but "pedestrian" in his debut (.322 OBP / .336 SLG). OTOH, Robles looked like he made some significant progress last off season before his back problems killed his season.

Davey on Robles's health:
“No, he’s good,” the manager said. “I watched videos of him this winter. He’s strong. He’s full bill of health. He’s ready to go, and I’m excited about that. Before he got hurt, he was swinging the bat really well. He was playing really well. Hopefully he’ll continue to do that this year.”

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/how-secure-is-robles-job-in-center-field

At Davey's first presser, he said CF would be a battle between Robles and Young. Reporters followed up at his second presser:

Zuckerman suggests Young could benefit from more time at AAA (just 4 games last year) after looking ok but "pedestrian" in his debut (.322 OBP / .336 SLG). OTOH, Robles looked like he made some significant progress last off season before his back problems killed his season.

Davey on Robles's health:
It is 2024. Victor Robles won a World Series in 2019 and he has 1,800 MLB plate appearances. How is he still "really" young?

I can't believe the Robles project is still going. I think we know what he is.

Come on Jacob Young, produce and relegate him to #4 OF.

Offline imref

i still think there's a decent chance Dylan Crews is our starting CF when the team breaks camp.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
i still think there's a decent chance Dylan Crews is our starting CF when the team breaks camp.

Would be great if he's ready to be.  But would probably still be in Rochester for at least sixteen days to ensure he doesn't get a full MLB service year in '24. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

:hysterical: Good one...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I'd do the same thing if I were Rizzo.

Would be great if he's ready to be.  But would probably still be in Rochester for at least sixteen days to ensure he doesn't get a full MLB service year in '24.

Offline Natsinpwc

I'd do the same thing if I were Rizzo.
He didn’t tear up Double A last season.  Was a long year for him but he will have to get used to that and the wood bats. He starts the season at Harrisburg and you see how he does.  No rush on a team that is tanking. 

Offline welch

Young should start in CF. Of course, Nats show give Robles a chance. Maybe he has learned to be a ballplayer. That seems unlikely, though.

Offline imref

Based on how Robles played last year before he got hurt, the job is his to lose regardless of what Davey says.

Offline welch

Based on how Robles played last year before he got hurt, the job is his to lose regardless of what Davey says.

Robles played well for about five weeks. That's a hot streak, and nothing more.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Robles played well for about five weeks. That's a hot streak, and nothing more.
Thats virtually every other player we're hoping for this entire season.  Thats five weeks more of a hot streak than Young has ever put together in MLB

Offline Natsinpwc

Thats virtually every other player we're hoping for this entire season.  Thats five weeks more of a hot streak than Young has ever put together in MLB
Whatever way you cut it was a small sample size. .750 OPS over about 125 plate appearances.  Year before was .584 over four times that. Better off sticking with the argument maybe he can regain his hitting from rookie year.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Just want him to play well enough so we can trade him rather than cut him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
As a wave of young talent awaits, Victor Robles tries to enjoy the moment

WaPo Golden talks about Robles cheering on the prospects, and how the season will be about how Robles finishes his tenure with the Nats.

“Everything goes by so quickly,” Robles said through an interpreter. “Before you know it, it’s past you. All I try to do is, if any of my teammates need any of my help or any of my experience, I can pass it on to them. But it’s more appreciating the moment and making sure we enjoy it.”
“He’s kind of been through it all here,” Wood said. “He signed with the Nationals, came up with the Nationals, won the World Series. … It’s always good to have guys like that in the locker room who’ve done it all and been through all you want to accomplish in the MLB. So it’s pretty cool.”

“With Vic, there’s no animosity,” Martinez said. “He knows the situation. He knows what’s coming. He’s got to do his job. He understands that, and so he’s got to get better and he has been. … There’s another thing, too: You play for the Washington Nationals, but there’s also 29 other teams out there that, every day, you go to showcase for.”

Ideal case, he is traded at the deadline to a contender looking for some defense, brings back something of value, and opens a slot for a prospect to succeed.

Offline Mattionals

As a wave of young talent awaits, Victor Robles tries to enjoy the moment

WaPo Golden talks about Robles cheering on the prospects, and how the season will be about how Robles finishes his tenure with the Nats.

Ideal case, he is traded at the deadline to a contender looking for some defense, brings back something of value, and opens a slot for a prospect to succeed.
I hope he does well and gets moved as you suggest. Hell, Garcia Jr. might be interesting in the same situation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I hope he does well and gets moved as you suggest. Hell, Garcia Jr. might be interesting in the same situation.

funny you mentioned Garcia. Part of Golden 's article compares Garcia's situation to Robles. In the past, neither was really pressed for playing time by internally-developed prospects or FAs. Now, Garcia is in a competition with Lipscomb, while Robles has Wood Crews and Hassell