Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42592 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Golden:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/13/victor-robles-early-success-2023-season/

His Pull % has dropped from about 50% in 2020-21 to 31%, while his up the middle % has gone from about 30-31% the past couple of years to 45+% so far. In terms of contact, his medium velocity contact has dropped  9% and his hard hit contact is up 10%. https://www.fangraphs.com/players/victor-robles/18363/stats?position=OF

It's kind of odd to see a guy hit the ball harder by pulling less.

The term "rolling over" ground balls exists for a reason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The term "rolling over" ground balls exists for a reason.
bingo. Add in the observation that he was throwing his hands out to reach for outside pitches, and that seems to be what is going on.  I guess there's something athletic about dodgeballs. It's just that it's most athletic use is to correct bad swings.

Offline catocony

Davey laid into him in the press conference after today's game.  I'm glad Victor is producing at the plate but his future with the team grows dimmer by the day.  I don't think he cost them the game today but once again his intense stupidity on the basepaths was in full force.

Offline Senatorswin

I don't think Robles was hustling on the base hit to center when the guy on first went to third. I think he was caught by surprise.

Offline catocony

He also broke back on a ball that he then couldn't correct on and it ended up falling in front of him.  He was bad all around today, but not running and getting into what amounted to a bunt double play might have been Davey's breaking point. 

Davey Martinez calls out Robles:

"I don't know how many times I have to tell him. He's not the umpire."

This was on the botched bunt that turned into a double play.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/dave_martinez_not_happy_with_victor_robles_bunt_blunder/s1_16457_38734712

“I don’t know how many times I’ve got to tell him, he’s not the umpire,” Martinez said, per Mark Zuckerman of MASN. “He’s got to run hard to first base.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
June 8: CF Victor Robles (back) to begin rehab assignment
When the Nationals travel to Atlanta, Robles will go to Rochester for a rehab assignment with the Triple-A Red Wings. He has been on the 10-day IL with back spasms since May 8 (retroactive to May 7). Robles is scheduled to play four innings in his first game and build up from there. Before he is cleared to return, manager Dave Martinez wants Robles to "really test himself."

"It's been really tough for him," Martinez said. "He's been frustrated because he was hitting the ball really well and playing well. But I told him, 'We've got to make sure we take care of this so it doesn't linger.'"
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-injuries-and-roster-moves

Offline Slateman

Well, thats something

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
0-1, BB before being removed last night. Hope he didn't hurt himself again.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
0-1, BB before being removed last night. Hope he didn't hurt himself again.
maybe just easing him back.

Offline imref

Davey said today that Robles will be DHng until he feels ready to take the field, no issues last night and it does appear they are easing him back in.

Offline Slateman

Robles starting in CF in Rochester.

Any consideration for moving him up in the lineup when he comes back to the big league squad?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Robles starting in CF in Rochester.

Any consideration for moving him up in the lineup when he comes back to the big league squad?
I don't think so. Thomas is fine at leadoff, and they go lefty Garcia then Meneses righty 3 after. Robles  isn't a power bat, and I think they like a better hitter 9th than 8th as sort of a 2nd leadoff

Offline imref

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline imref

3-3, BB, 2HRs, 5 RBIs tonight.

Offline aspenbubba

Robles is going to be activated soon and most of the speculation has been who will be sent down Call or Garrett. My choice would be the under utilized Michael Chavis. He has a total of 33 AB's this season and 16 games he has played in  and only 5 games since May 12th. We don't need him for a pinch runner or back up to Vargas. Send him to Rochester and if there is an injury to any of our INF it's not like Rochester is Fresno distance wise . There are direct flights from Rochester to most major cities.

Offline Slateman

Robles is going to be activated soon and most of the speculation has been who will be sent down Call or Garrett. My choice would be the under utilized Michael Chavis. He has a total of 33 AB's this season and 16 games he has played in  and only 5 games since May 12th. We don't need him for a pinch runner or back up to Vargas. Send him to Rochester and if there is an injury to any of our INF it's not like Rochester is Fresno distance wise . There are direct flights from Rochester to most major cities.

Eh, if we're talking candiates to get rid of, why not just DFA Dom Smith or Alex Call. While both are good defensively, neither is hitting worth a damn. Meneses can move to first base, opening up the DH spot for Dickerson against RHP, let Menses handle it against LHP (with Chavis or Riley at first).

I understand his defense is valuable, but you cant be a sub .700 OPS and stick at first base.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I want to keep Garrett around. He deserves to play against every lefty. His D is adequate in left, and I like the Dickerson / Garrett
<------------

As between Call and Chavis, neither has embarrassed himself.  I'd like to see Call's bat get going a bit, and I don't know if turning him into a 5th OF will give him the chance to hit.  I slightly lead towards sending him down, even though I'm sort of a Call fan.  Maybe it's because I think he can hit but needs perhaps somebody other than Coles to help him. I'm OK with Chavis sitting for long periods.  With 3 lefty hitting infielders, a second righty bench bat may be useful when 2 infielders are given days off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Eh, if we're talking candiates to get rid of, why not just DFA Dom Smith or Alex Call. While both are good defensively, neither is hitting worth a damn. Meneses can move to first base, opening up the DH spot for Dickerson against RHP, let Menses handle it against LHP (with Chavis or Riley at first).

I understand his defense is valuable, but you cant be a sub .700 OPS and stick at first base.
Call has options so no need to DFA, at least until you need the 40 man roster spot. I don't disagree that it may be time to move on from Dom despite a few examples of his warning track power seeming to be coming back.  I kind of like the flexibility to use Adams and Dickerson at DH a bit more (I'd play Meneses at 1st rather than Adams) that releasing Dom would give you. Maybe  you call up Matt Adams when you send down Call and release Dom to get another lefty bat into the mix?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Keep Dom. His hitting is improving and defense matters to the pitchers and especially to CJ. Send Call to Rochester. Trade Dickerson soon: he will not return much because he would be a half-season rental, but then bring back Call. Or maybe Hill, if Hill can hit major league pitching.

And remember that Robles over his career has not hit that much better than Call has. Maybe Robles has found a way to hit -- he had a couple home runs last night, but every Red Wing Was hitting last I looked. I'm feeling "prepared to be disappointed, but, wow, if Robles has become a real ballplayer..."

Offline Slateman

Keep Dom. His hitting is improving and defense matters to the pitchers and especially to CJ. Send Call to Rochester. Trade Dickerson soon: he will not return much because he would be a half-season rental, but then bring back Call. Or maybe Hill, if Hill can hit major league pitching.

And remember that Robles over his career has not hit that much better than Call has. Maybe Robles has found a way to hit -- he had a couple home runs last night, but every Red Wing Was hitting last I looked. I'm feeling "prepared to be disappointed, but, wow, if Robles has become a real ballplayer..."
His "improvement" was a .733 OPS in May. So far, in June, he's at below .600. Dom Smith is what we thought he was: A taller version of Lombardozzi.

CJ needs to be sent down. Keeping a poor hitting first baseman because he might keep your shortstop under 40 errors is pretty terrible player development. CJ is clearly not ready for MLB ball and it shows. It was extremely telling that San Diego thought Tatis was better defensively, and moved CJ to CF and 2B

After the deadline, available playing time needs to be given to potential future parts of this team. Jake Alu and Darren Baker should be getting reps/at bats in LF. Time to see what they got, if anything.

Robles spent the offseason working on hitting. He showed marked improvement during the early part of this season. His metrics and peripherals indicate that its not luck, but that he is genuinely picking better pitches to swing at and hitting them harder when he does. By all measurements, hes a better hitter than Dom Smith. And even if he werent, elite defense in CF is far more valuable than good defense at first.

Smith needs to go. He has no trade value. If you're so worried about CJ's throwing errors, then its time to send CJ down and let Vargas take short.

Offline aspenbubba

I believe my theory has a much greater possibility to materialize than yours.  It’s not that you are wrong but the moves you suggest are too drastic given that there are too many sunk costs for a team that is rebuilding.

Offline Slateman

I believe my theory has a much greater possibility to materialize than yours.  It’s not that you are wrong but the moves you suggest are too drastic given that there are too many sunk costs for a team that is rebuilding.

Meh, the money shouldn't matter here. They just DFA'd Ramirez, despite paying him 2 million. The difference between Chavis and Smith is a million bucks.