Author Topic: The Weather (2017)  (Read 38787 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: The Weather (2017)
« Reply #225: August 12, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »
Here is a simulation of the solar eclipse from any zipcode

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-eclipse-map-places-view/

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #226: August 12, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »

That's awesome. Thanks.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #227: August 12, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »

Very cool MG.   Thanks.   It appears to be better than I expected.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #228: August 12, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #229: August 13, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Some comments from an Optometrist on the solar eclipse:

As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even with the use of solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

We have to keep in mind that some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, true solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If the solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who woke up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix. It is a huge risk to watch the eclipse even with the use of solar glasses. There is no absolutely safe way to do so other than on TV.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, including Columbus, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at it without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun does on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun, you can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peak around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, will have such a devastating consequence.

Please, please be safe. Watch it on television.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #230: August 13, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
We bought four pair, but I'm not sure I'm going to use them. I'll project it through my spotting scope. Better to burn it up than anyone's retinas.

Some comments from an Optometrist on the solar eclipse:

As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even with the use of solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

We have to keep in mind that some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, true solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If the solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who woke up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix. It is a huge risk to watch the eclipse even with the use of solar glasses. There is no absolutely safe way to do so other than on TV.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, including Columbus, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at it without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun does on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun, you can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peak around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, will have such a devastating consequence.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #231: August 13, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
Very cool MG.   Thanks.   It appears to be better than I expected.

We rented an AirBNB place in Myrtle Beach, thinking we'd drive to Charleston for the "total" eclipse. After comparing the two places, it can't possibly be worth the drive.

Thanks, Mathguy.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #232: August 13, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »

Keep your pets inside as well...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #233: August 13, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
And wear a jimmy hat.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #235: August 13, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
We rented an AirBNB place in Myrtle Beach, thinking we'd drive to Charleston for the "total" eclipse. After comparing the two places, it can't possibly be worth the drive.

Thanks, Mathguy.

You only have to go what, 10,15 miles towards Charleston before you're in the zone, right? 

My brother lives in North Myrtle, I think he's considering taking his boat out into the Intracoastal waterway to make sure he's not going to get crowded out.

Online imref

« Reply #236: August 23, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »
A major flooding event is setting up for this weekend across much of SE Texas as Tropical Storm Harvey has reformed in the gulf and is heading for the Texas coast.  Forecasts are for a large area including Houston and parts of Texas to its SE to get 10-15" of rain.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #237: August 23, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
A major flooding event is setting up for this weekend across much of SE Texas as Tropical Storm Harvey has reformed in the gulf and is heading for the Texas coast.  Forecasts are for a large area including Houston and parts of Texas to its SE to get 10-15" of rain.
Yikes, that area has had more than it's share of flooding recently :(

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #238: August 23, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
It turned out that we had to go about 45 miles to get into Totality, and we didn't make it. Still, near Totality was pretty damn cool.

You only have to go what, 10,15 miles towards Charleston before you're in the zone, right? 

My brother lives in North Myrtle, I think he's considering taking his boat out into the Intracoastal waterway to make sure he's not going to get crowded out.

Online imref

« Reply #239: August 23, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »
Harvey is strengthening and slowing, latest forecast brings it ashore as a Cat-1, and maybe a Cat-2 storm, then it stalls out over the coast, dropping 10-15" of rain across a wide area, and up to 20" in some areas.

Online imref

« Reply #240: August 24, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
Harvey is bombing out something fierce. The forecast is for it now to hit Texas as a Category 3 storm, with winds north of 111 MPH.  Forecast rain amounts are in the 12-20" range for most areas, with some getting as much as 30" of rain.   The original surge projection of 4-6' is now 6-10'.  It is forecasted to stall just inland for 3 days.

This is looking to be Katrina-level bad.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #241: August 24, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
Harvey is bombing out something fierce. The forecast is for it now to hit Texas as a Category 3 storm, with winds north of 111 MPH.  Forecast rain amounts are in the 12-20" range for most areas, with some getting as much as 30" of rain.   The original surge projection of 4-6' is now 6-10'.  It is forecasted to stall just inland for 3 days.

This is looking to be Katrina-level bad.
Not good.

Online imref

« Reply #242: August 24, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
Not good.

it's getting worse, the NHC just released its 4PM guidance, now calling for 15-25" of rain with some areas seeing up to 35" as the storm spends 4 days virtually stationary over SE Texas.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #243: August 24, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
I remember back in one of the gas/energy crisis.    It was winter.    The Northeast was runnin' out of heating oil and they were interviewing a Texan about the plight of the folks in the NE.    He said, "Let 'em freeze."     

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #244: August 24, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
I remember back in one of the gas/energy crises.    It was winter.    The Northeast was runnin' out of heating oil and they were interviewing a Texan about the plight of the folks in the NE.    He said, "Let 'em freeze."   
Damn Yankees. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #245: August 24, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
I remember back in one of the gas/energy crises.    It was winter.    The Northeast was runnin' out of heating oil and they were interviewing a Texan about the plight of the folks in the NE.    He said, "Let 'em freeze."     

I'm sure some Texans are nice people :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #246: August 24, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
Damn Yankees. 

I hope that fella can swim.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #247: August 24, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Meh, he probably has a bass boat

Offline mitlen

« Reply #248: August 24, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »

I hope that fella can swim.    A Texan would try to use a bass boat in a hurricane.   :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #249: August 24, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »

They don't do well in big swells.

I have a 16' Carolina Skiff J16 that would also swamp easily, though the foam floatation in the hull would keep it from outright sinking.  Still, in salt water everything inside the boat would be ruined.