Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 66432 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: The Garage
« Reply #125: September 26, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Holy crap.    Hope my Bentley passes emissions.

:crackup:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #126: September 26, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »
Scania is a heavy truck brand. Used to be part of Saab, which is now part of a Chinese auto group, I believe.
These may not all be car brands, didn't check them out yet.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/content/en/brands_and_products.html

Offline whytev

« Reply #127: September 27, 2015, 12:42:05 AM »
Just saw a TDI driving down the street with dealer tester plates on it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #128: October 14, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
Visiting Pops now.  HE does not drive since late July, and did not drive much for long stretches this year.  He still has his car, which I use when I visit.  An old Altima (mid to late aughts).   At any rate, the last time I gassed it was in early August.  I  drove it for a week or so, short distances, in early September.  Now I'm visiting, and the thing runs OK the first drive in the AM (about a mile), but then is pretty rough when idling on the return trip.  Idiot check engine light flashes.  Is this likely crud settling out of the gas?  Could it be vapors in the tank?  Water?  Ideas?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #129: October 14, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
any smoke comping out (particularly white smoke?)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #130: October 14, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »
Visiting Pops now.  HE does not drive since late July, and did not drive much for long stretches this year.  He still has his car, which I use when I visit.  An old Altima (mid to late aughts).   At any rate, the last time I gassed it was in early August.  I  drove it for a week or so, short distances, in early September.  Now I'm visiting, and the thing runs OK the first drive in the AM (about a mile), but then is pretty rough when idling on the return trip.  Idiot check engine light flashes.  Is this likely crud settling out of the gas?  Could it be vapors in the tank?  Water?  Ideas?

Bad gas would be a prime suspect.  Ethanol blends are notorious for breaking down and creating water vapor, which sinks to the bottom where it's readily accessed by the engine.  Further, the process of creating water reduces octane.  So if 87 octane was used in a car that's supposed to use 87 octane, by now the gas is well below the minimum recommended.  Run the car real low, siphon out the rest to recycle (Fairfax County dump accepts petrol products, maybe yours does too) and when you refill, go easy - don't put a 5 year supply in the tank.  Put a small amount and add fuel stabilize, and use a higher octane gas.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #131: October 14, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »
Bad gas would be a prime suspect.  Ethanol blends are notorious for breaking down and creating water vapor, which sinks to the bottom where it's readily accessed by the engine.  Further, the process of creating water reduces octane.  So if 87 octane was used in a car that's supposed to use 87 octane, by now the gas is well below the minimum recommended.  Run the car real low, siphon out the rest to recycle (Fairfax County dump accepts petrol products, maybe yours does too) and when you refill, go easy - don't put a 5 year supply in the tank.  Put a small amount and add fuel stabilize, and use a higher octane gas.
thanks.  We've been using Mobil regular, which is the ExxonMobil retailer in the norhteast (Exxon elsewhere).  Unfortunately, I've needed to keep the tank >1/2 full in order not to trip the check engine light (a vapor code in the computer that doesn't mean much but can block passing emissions tests if it is in there relatively recently).  I'll keep this in mind.  Dad suggests maybe drygas has worked in the past as an additive.  The premium is a decent idea, too, if it is octane degradation.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #132: October 14, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »
thanks.  We've been using Mobil regular, which is the ExxonMobil retailer in the norhteast (Exxon elsewhere).  Unfortunately, I've needed to keep the tank >1/2 full in order not to trip the check engine light (a vapor code in the computer that doesn't mean much but can block passing emissions tests if it is in there relatively recently).  I'll keep this in mind.  Dad suggests maybe drygas has worked in the past as an additive.  The premium is a decent idea, too, if it is octane degradation.

If the car is going to sit for a protracted period of time, slam the gas tank all the way full...no chance for condensation if there is no air in the tank and filler...

Even my cars rated for 87 run far better even on 89 octane, so 93 can't hurt...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #133: October 14, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
It would be worthwhile to buy a small bottle of fuel injection cleaner and put it in the gas tank.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: October 15, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »

sitting for a couple of months after a really short trip, I'd be worried about condensation in the exhaust. You really want to drive it until it's warmed up before storing it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #135: October 15, 2015, 09:09:38 AM »
If the car is going to sit for a protracted period of time, slam the gas tank all the way full...no chance for condensation if there is no air in the tank and filler...

Even my cars rated for 87 run far better even on 89 octane, so 93 can't hurt...

Is that true, a full tank will have less condensation? 

I had another thought on the topic - run that tank as dry as possible, then refill with ethanol free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #136: October 15, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
Is that true, a full tank will have less condensation? 

Always been preached with motorcycles...and vented systems would seem to be more prone...with some calculations debunking the theory all together. 

A number of interesting discussions on the interwebs...with some calculations debunking the condensation theory all together. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #137: October 15, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
Always been preached with motorcycles...and vented systems would seem to be more prone...with some calculations debunking the theory all together. 

A number of interesting discussions on the interwebs...with some calculations debunking the condensation theory all together. 

I've never added any thing to my MC tank but hi-octane gas.    Through out the winter (varying amounts of gas in the tank over the years), I'll start it up occasionally.   I've never had a condensation "issue".    Of course, the bike is garage kept.    :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #138: October 15, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34536573

VW is recalling 8.5 million cars in Europe- I wonder how much that will hurt R and D for cars still in the pipeline

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #139: October 15, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »
My VW CC (gasoline) started running rough last night on the way home - RPM's going up, down, up, down when idling (it's a manual transmission).  I'd push in the clutch, let off the gas and it would maintain 2,000 RPM's for a while before dropping back to the up and down around idle speed.  This morning the engine light finally came on.  I dropped it off and the guy asked me what the symptoms were.  I told him I thought the emissions defeat device had gone wacko on me.    :crackup:

Not sure he thought it was as funny as I did.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #140: October 15, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
My VW CC (gasoline) started running rough last night on the way home - RPM's going up, down, up, down when idling (it's a manual transmission).  I'd push in the clutch, let off the gas and it would maintain 2,000 RPM's for a while before dropping back to the up and down around idle speed.  This morning the engine light finally came on.  I dropped it off and the guy asked me what the symptoms were.  I told him I thought the emissions defeat device had gone wacko on me.    :crackup:

:clap:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #141: October 15, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »

the diesel mess may be one of the best things to happen to VW mechanics- that's a lot of warranty work coming their way

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #142: October 15, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
:clap:

:hysterical: 

Next time you have an issue tell him it's a problem with the muffler bearings.  I worked in auto parts for a few years, it was always fun to call another store and ask if they had a water pump for a VW beetle.

You guys ever see this site:  http://kalecoauto.com/index.php

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #143: October 15, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »

Just a heads-up...avoid Skip Barber Driving/Racing Schools.

They cancelled my10/20/15 program at VIR for a lame reason, and offered me an option...the same program held on the same day...but in New Orleans.

No refund yet, and nobody answering my calls.

Oh well...it's a good excuse for me to go to Florida for a few days and do another Richard Petty Driving Experience at Daytona International Speedway...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #144: October 15, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »

They cancelled my10/20/15 program at VIR for a lame reason, and offered me an option...the same program held on the same day...but in New Orleans.

Oh well...it's a good excuse for me to go to Florida for a few days and do another Richard Petty Driving Experience at Daytona International Speedway...

How fast do ya go VaRK?    Solo?    I'm sure VIR is "slower" than Daytona.   :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #145: October 15, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »

Some of those programs aren't very reputable.

I bought my son three laps in a Ferrari (him driving) to be held out at Summit Point a couple of years ago, and the company (based in Montreal) put one hurdle after another in front of me. After a while it was obvious they were not fair dealing.  But I had bought the voucher through Amazon local, and when I called and explained the situation they posted a full refund within an hour or two.  Amazing customer service. 

I researched the company a bit later and it was all bad reviews everywhere.

I later booked another try with "Xtreme Xperience and they gave an excellent experience for the money. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #146: October 15, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
How fast do ya go VaRK?    Solo?    I'm sure VIR is "slower" than Daytona.   :)

I drive...they have an instructor in the "passenger" seat and on the radio with you. It used to be lead/follow, but I like the current arrangement better. 

Not sure how fast I can go at Daytona.  I have gone 150 at other tracks that are 1.5 mile ovals...Daytona is a 2.5 mile tri-oval, so I'm hoping for a bit more.  I go October 30th.

Some of those programs aren't very reputable.

Yup...Skip Barber is a huge name in the industry, but in doing some review research now, this seems to be their MO...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #147: October 16, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
But I had bought the voucher through Amazon local, and when I called and explained the situation they posted a full refund within an hour or two.  Amazing customer service. 

Amazon is consistently the easiest company on the planet for me to give my money to because anytime I have any sort of an issue or problem, the service is over the top.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #148: October 16, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »

A former co-worker at the Old Jail got a new car... damn him!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #149: October 16, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
It's just a car. Would you trade it for the hell you went through? No. There's a car like that in your much brighter future if you want it.

(Image removed from quote.)

A former co-worker at the Old Jail got a new car... damn him!