Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67166 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: The Garage
« Reply #300: January 07, 2016, 10:10:33 PM »
Treat yourself...go get yourself a new ride...
Runs like new! 
I was ready a couple of years ago but at this point it's still running so will keep her going.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #301: January 08, 2016, 10:54:16 PM »
I agree. It's a matter of principle at this point. That van owes you nothing. Run for as long as it will run.
Runs like new! 
I was ready a couple of years ago but at this point it's still running so will keep her going.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #302: January 09, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
Recently hit 250K in the Odyssey. Figure I will go for 300,000.
I was so annoyed when I totaled my Saturn a few months short of 100000 miles.  I had the thing for 13 years - 2 weeks.  didn't drive it a lot other than 5 or so trips a year up to and back from Boston.  I liked it less than my first Saturn because that one consistently topped 40 MPG on the road and was one of the first small cars with ABS and airbags, but had grown comfortable with the last one and had stopped throwing much money at it.  Never replaced it.  I've gotten used to using the bike for things like food shopping, but still use Zipcar for bulkier errands.

Offline whytev

« Reply #303: January 09, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
I was so annoyed when I totaled my Saturn a few months short of 100000 miles.  I had the thing for 13 years - 2 weeks.  didn't drive it a lot other than 5 or so trips a year up to and back from Boston.  I liked it less than my first Saturn because that one consistently topped 40 MPG on the road and was one of the first small cars with ABS and airbags, but had grown comfortable with the last one and had stopped throwing much money at it.  Never replaced it.  I've gotten used to using the bike for things like food shopping, but still use Zipcar for bulkier errands.

Zip car is cool but do y'all have the car sharing where you can just leave the car wherever? Like do a one way trip? Those are cool. I don't like ZC because you have to put back.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #304: January 09, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »

I worry about this every time I take the Saturn for a spin (gym, golfing, et.).   I have 134,000 on a 19 year old Saturn.   If I have a fender bender, it's totaled.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #305: January 09, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
I worry about this every time I take the Saturn for a spin (gym, golfing, et.).   I have 134,000 on a 19 year old Saturn.   If I have a fender bender, it's totaled.   

Take the payout and don't fix the fender (they'll deduct the salvage value, but most insurers don't care)- assuming the frame is fine, a 20 year old car with a dented bumper isn't much different than a 20 year old car without one

Offline mitlen

« Reply #306: January 09, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
Take the payout and don't fix the fender (they'll deduct the salvage value, but most insurers don't care)- assuming the frame is fine, a 20 year old car with a dented bumper isn't much different than a 20 year old car without one

I would do something like that it's just that it would pucker me up to have to do that.    Trust me, the old girl is not a thing of beauty.   :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #307: January 09, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
when GEICO totaled my car (impact above the front bumper pushed back the radiator and did a little hood damage.  Still could close), I got something like $3900 less $500 deductible.   The car was worth more for parts than that, and they got the title.  I think they made money on the transaction.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #308: January 10, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »
Speaking of used auto parts....

I was hustling home a couple of weeks ago, about a half-mile from Kevrock's estate, and as I crested a sharp rise a trash can presented itself in my lane.  Unfortunately, there was a car coming in the opposite lane so, not having time to stop, I tried to slip between them but caught the trash can with my outside mirror, mostly demolishing it. 

I took it to the closest body shop to my work place and they wanted over $850 to repair.   :bang: 

One of the little plastic parts was over $400. What a rip. I'd call Brandywine Auto Parts for a used replacement if I had time to go down there and then youtube how to replace it, but I don't have time now.  I went to another repair shop in Fairfax yesterday and he said he thought they could do it for under $500 if they could source used parts.  The labor for assembly and paint on this is minimal, it's over 80% parts cost.  What a rip.

:rant:

Offline whytev

« Reply #309: January 25, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
Got my agreement for my class action suit.  Does anybody know...is 15% pretty standard for this sort of thing?  That's what I have to fork over for legal.  Pretty good deal for them considering they are getting it from every single customer in Canada.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #310: January 29, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »
It's going to be a madhouse at the auto show tomorrow. And I've got my Nats seat upgrade appointment at 11 am, so won't get to the show till after noon, right about peak.  Oh well, still worse ways to spend a Saturday. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #311: January 30, 2016, 08:41:50 AM »
It's going to be a madhouse at the auto show tomorrow. And I've got my Nats seat upgrade appointment at 11 am, so won't get to the show till after noon, right about peak.  Oh well, still worse ways to spend a Saturday. 

Anyone headin' downtown on the subway from N. Va be ready for delays.      Any line really but I ain't comin' on any line.    :P

http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_service_status/advisories.cfm?AID=5414

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #312: February 02, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »

Been lobbying the missus for a new car.  Not that we need one...I have the Harley, the Ram and the Tahoe, and she has her CR-V.

We went to the Richmond Car Show last year, and I got to thinking...if we go again this year...maybe I can kinda wear her down.

As would be my luck, the car show will be the first weekend we are in Florida in March.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #313: February 05, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
168 on the high banks of Daytona today...better than the 162 I posted in October.  Only one other car on the track with me in our series, so could only pass the one. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #314: February 05, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
I feel for you, man. Tough position. Almost like Sophie's Choice or something. :hysterical:
Been lobbying the missus for a new car.  Not that we need one...I have the Harley, the Ram and the Tahoe, and she has her CR-V.

We went to the Richmond Car Show last year, and I got to thinking...if we go again this year...maybe I can kinda wear her down.

As would be my luck, the car show will be the first weekend we are in Florida in March.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #315: February 05, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
I feel for you, man. Tough position. Almost like Sophie's Choice or something. :hysterical:

I know...sux...  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #316: February 05, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »
SUX... isn't that the new Accura crossover?
I know...sux...  ;)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #317: February 05, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »

How was it?  We went last Wednesday and it was pretty empty.  We learned the hard way to visit on weekdays/nights.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #318: February 05, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
SUX... isn't that the new Accura crossover?

I like that...you should be in marketing...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #319: February 05, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »
How was it?  We went last Wednesday and it was pretty empty.  We learned the hard way to visit on weekdays/nights.

Pretty crowded, but not obscenely so.  I had my "select a seat" event at Nats Park at 11, so couldn't get there till about 12:15.  ALways buy your ticket online is one obvious advice, avoid the ticket line. 

For whatever reason most folks head upstairs to the domestic car floor (includes Toyota).  Chevy gets the primo spot just inside the doors, that area is beyond ridiculously packed.  Good luck checking out the latest 'vette.  Solid crowds throughout but still well worth it.

I sat in a Ford Fusion, best stock seats I've ever been in, excellent.  I've got 90k on my VW CC and always like to think ahead to the next move - about 2 years out but doesn't hurt to sample what's coming out. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #320: February 05, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »
Pretty crowded, but not obscenely so.  I had my "select a seat" event at Nats Park at 11, so couldn't get there till about 12:15.  ALways buy your ticket online is one obvious advice, avoid the ticket line. 

For whatever reason most folks head upstairs to the domestic car floor (includes Toyota).  Chevy gets the primo spot just inside the doors, that area is beyond ridiculously packed.  Good luck checking out the latest 'vette.  Solid crowds throughout but still well worth it.

I sat in a Ford Fusion, best stock seats I've ever been in, excellent.  I've got 90k on my VW CC and always like to think ahead to the next move - about 2 years out but doesn't hurt to sample what's coming out. 

we usually make a beeline for the Camp Jeep area to take the free ride and get a tote bag, then work around from there.  I always enjoy the exotics and the Mustangs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #321: February 08, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »
My son's Car and Driver arrived today, with a Ford Focus RS on the cover - very likely the same one we saw at the car show two weekends back.   Notable in that for such a small car, it packs 350 HP.    :shock:

http://www.cityam.com/234094/the-ford-focus-rs-is-the-perfect-blend-of-practicality-performance-and-visceral-thrills

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #322: February 09, 2016, 07:25:01 AM »
Isn't that basically near the limit what a fwd car can handle with a still be drivable

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #323: February 09, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »
It's AWD.
Isn't that basically near the limit what a fwd car can handle with a still be drivable

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #324: February 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
"The Ford Focus RS is the perfect blend of practicality, performance and visceral thrills"
"The family-friendly Ford Focus RS in action"

I don't think they understand what "practical" and "family friendly" actually mean.