Author Topic: Barves: Knights Templar of Unwritten Rules and gutless anti-American douche bags  (Read 84037 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Have Tribute to William Tecumseh Sherman night with a descendant throwing out the first pitch. Have Abe set fire to a model the city.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be more accurate these days to have Abe set fire to a random building 10 miles from anything resembling a city? 

They could put the model of Atlanta at the finish line of the President's Race, a model of Corporate Suburbia Mallpark out in right-center, and have the presidents just race from one to the other with the winner getting an artistic diptych of the two corporate welfare stadium projects and a certificate for $100 of debt.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
"Croker Concourse"
Yeah, but wouldn't it be more accurate these days to have Abe set fire to a random building 10 miles from anything resembling a city? 

They could put the model of Atlanta at the finish line of the President's Race, a model of Corporate Suburbia Mallpark out in right-center, and have the presidents just race from one to the other with the winner getting an artistic diptych of the two corporate welfare stadium projects and a certificate for $100 of debt.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Things I would have learnt sooner if I followed college sports (which I don't):

The other day on a sports-talk radio show I heard a sound clip from a Florida State football match, with a chorus from the audience that sounded exactly like that song/chant that the inbreds and Superstation-era phony sophisticates still sing in the stands at Braves matches.

One of the two oldest continuously maintained franchises in MLB (established 1876, same year as the Cubs)...and they can't come up with anything original to cheer their team on, but have to steal an inane chant from some viciously corrupt college football programme.

Apart from the Dallas Cowboys sheeple...is there a more worthless, pathetic fandom in sports?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
One of the two oldest continuously maintained franchises in MLB (established 1876, same year as the Cubs)...and they can't come up with anything original to cheer their team on, but have to steal an inane chant from some viciously corrupt college football programme.

Apart from the Dallas Cowboys sheeple...is there a more worthless, pathetic fandom in sports?

Boston Fans (see: Jones, Adam, et al.)
New York Fans
Philly Fans (see: Claus, Santa)
Dodger Fans (see: Stow, Bryan)

Online HalfSmokes

Penn State has to be the worst. I feel like sec football in general belongs on that list too.

Offline DPMOmaha

Things I would have learnt sooner if I followed college sports (which I don't):

The other day on a sports-talk radio show I heard a sound clip from a Florida State football match, with a chorus from the audience that sounded exactly like that song/chant that the inbreds and Superstation-era phony sophisticates still sing in the stands at Braves matches.

It was adopted by Atlanta when they drafted Deion Sanders out of Florida State. It followed him to the Braves. The Kansas City Chiefs use it, too.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I'm surprised that Redskins fans don't use it.

It was adopted by Atlanta when they drafted Deion Sanders out of Florida State. It followed him to the Braves. The Kansas City Chiefs use it, too.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
some people are offended by the dumbest crap :smh:

and speaking of stealing chants, Nats fans are well on their way after ripping off the Jets dumb chant.

Boston Fans (see: Jones, Adam, et al.)
New York Fans
Philly Fans (see: Claus, Santa)
Dodger Fans (see: Stow, Bryan)

:lmao: @ a Michigan fan calling out fanbases for being douchy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I completely agree that the chop is dumb and I am offended by it  :P

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I completely agree that the chop is dumb and I am offended by it  :P

Screech should remove his hat.  or head.  That would be better.

Offline spidernat

Screech should remove his hat.  or head.  That would be better.

Didn't some people nag about that at some point?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Didn't some people nag about that at some point?
Yes. As a wise person once put it,

Offline spidernat

Offline whytev

I'm surprised that Redskins fans don't use it.

It's not quite racist enough for them.

Offline OldChelsea

https://deadspin.com/cobb-county-proposes-cutting-libraries-after-dumb-decis-1822781704

...but...but the people don't want libraries...they want BREAD AND CIRCUSES!

[tell that to the voters of San Diego who turned down the Chargers' request for a publicly funded new stadium - a facility only a small minority of them could ever actually use - despite the fact the team would move; I note that in this Cobb County case no referendum was held]

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Online HalfSmokes

...but...but the people don't want libraries...they want BREAD AND CIRCUSES!

[tell that to the voters of San Diego who turned down the Chargers' request for a publicly funded new stadium - a facility only a small minority of them could ever actually use - despite the fact the team would move; I note that in this Cobb County case no referendum was held]

You can’t have referendums because it’s too hard for teams to funnel money to individual voters, campaign contributions to board members are much more efficient

Online Natsinpwc

Why would Atlanta metro need libraries?    Are all the books "picture" books?
As long as the Waffle Houses stay open things will be fine.

Online Natsinpwc

You can’t have referendums because it’s too hard for teams to funnel money to individual voters, campaign contributions to board members are much more efficient
Should be easy with Zelle. In the commercial even the kids with the lemonade stand have it. 

Offline OldChelsea

Basically true, unfortunately. (Nats Park could well have lost if it had been submitted to a referendum.)

Offline OldChelsea

Atlanta Braves: please PUL-LEEEZE get rid of that stupid tomahawk chant you ripped off from Florida State. It's not that I'm suddenly turning PC, but I just get sick of hearing that moronic tune 630 or so times a night on the Braves-Nats radio broadcasts.