Author Topic: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B  (Read 25585 times)

Offline houston-nat

Um... How is Lombo's OBP lower than his batting average there?  Instinct tells me this shouldn't be possible :shock:
sac fly

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
sac fly
Sac Fly doesn't go down as an AB and, I believe, doesn't get factored into OBP, correct?

EDIT:  Looked it up and it does get factored into OBP.  Wow... didn't know it was possible for OBP to ever be lower than average but that's pretty cool.

Offline houston-nat

Sac Fly doesn't go down as an AB and, I believe, doesn't get factored into OBP, correct?

EDIT:  Looked it up and it does get factored into OBP.  Wow... didn't know it was possible for OBP to ever be lower than average but that's pretty cool.
Yeah, I only found out a few months ago after finding a guy (forget who) who finished the season with a lower OBP than AVG.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think Alex Sanchez had a year or two like that.  I'd think Nook Logan might have been a candidate.  A guy who refuses walks is the type who can do it, which is why over a small sample Lombo is a candidate.

Offline PC

1 for 3, 1BB  BA now at .185

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Call him up!!

Send Laroche to the Yanks for Hughes. Put Zim at first, Rendon at third, and let Danny play second. He'll be back to his old self in no time!!!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Call him up!!

Send Laroche to the Yanks for Hughes. Put Zim at first, Rendon at third, and let Danny play second. He'll be back to his old self in no time!!!
I feel like Espi coming back as anything more than a role player this year is just asking for it.  I wouldn't let him be an everyday player again until he gets surgery.

Online HalfSmokes

Does anyone know if surgery is necessary to healing or if it just accelerates healing?  I.e.  over enough time will Danny just heal on his own?

Offline Slateman

Does anyone know if surgery is necessary to healing or if it just accelerates healing?  I.e.  over enough time will Danny just heal on his own?

Only the doctors know. I don't think it's an acute tear. If it was, he wouldn't be as functional. It's his left shoulder so he doesn't have to worry about throwing with that arm. Surgery would accelerate it but either way the season is a wash for him.

It's easy for us to say get the surgery, but we're not the one being operated on. Surgery is rarely a pleasant experience.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

as I posted earlier, mine healed on its own.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
as I posted earlier, mine healed on its own.

Were you leading a somewhat active lifestyle?  I'm wondering if playing baseball 7-8 months per year will allow it to heal (quickly?) on its own. 

Offline NJ Ave

Only the doctors know. I don't think it's an acute tear. If it was, he wouldn't be as functional. It's his left shoulder so he doesn't have to worry about throwing with that arm. Surgery would accelerate it but either way the season is a wash for him.

It's easy for us to say get the surgery, but we're not the one being operated on. Surgery is rarely a pleasant experience.

Is it your job to have a fully functional rotator cuff? A job you're being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to perform?

Offline Slateman

Is it your job to have a fully functional rotator cuff? A job you're being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to perform?

That doesn't mean you need or want surgery. In fact, it's not necessarily recommended by doctors. They may prefer to let it heal as much as possible and then do the surgery, so they have to do as little a repair as possible.

Offline NJ Ave

Until we have evidence one way or the other from an actual doctor, I cannot believe the advice of any doctor was "let it go unhealed and untreated for 9 months".

But in any case, this is what NIH says regarding candidates for surgery vs. non-surgery. I feel it's pretty instructive here.

"Reasons rotator cuff repair may be done include:

You have shoulder pain when you rest or at night, and it has not improved with exercises over 6 - 12 months.
    You have a large or complete rotator cuff tear.
    You are active and use your shoulder for sports or work.
    You have a lot of weakness and are unable to do everyday activities.

Surgery is a good choice for a person whose tear was caused by a recent injury. It is also a good choice when the tendons of the rotator cuff were not already frayed from chronic rotator cuff problems.

Some patients with a partial tear may choose not to have surgery, using rest and exercise instead. The best candidates for this approach are those who have only a partial tear and do not place a lot of demand on their shoulder.

Shoulder pain will improve with this approach.
    However, any weakness will not improve, the tear will become larger over time, and you may be limited in the sports or other act ivies you can do.

Offline NJ Ave

So besides the fact that any doctor probably told him these things, including the fact that as an athlete he might experience continued shoulder weakness without surgery, he also had LaRoche a few lockers down who could have told him the exact same thing.

Offline NJ Ave

I mean, read this article in the context of what's happened this season. He went into it on a wing and a prayer, knowing he had an almost completely torn rotator cuff.

http://www.csnwashington.com/baseball-washington-nationals/talk/espinosa-will-play-torn-rotator-cuff

The article was written in late January. He found out about the tear in the middle of October. He would have been 2.5 months into his rehab. But here we are, kicking the can down the road. As it stands now, we'll be lucky if they manage to get the surgery done so he can be ready for NEXT spring training.

Offline NJ Ave

People who don't use their knees a lot often rehab, rather than surgically repair, knee ligament tears. That does not mean it's okay for RGIII to decide hey, what if I just rest this knee up a little bit.

Offline sportsfan882

2/3 with a Double, HR, RBI, 2 Runs, K tonight for Espy.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
2/3 with a Double, HR, RBI, 2 Runs, K tonight for Espy.

Can you tell if Espi is hitting to the opposite field or still trying to pull everything? Closest I have ever heard Davey come to criticizing a player to the public: Espi mistakenly thinks that he can stay in the majors by pulling everything and hitting .220 with 15 - 20 homers. [approximately and from memory.] That is a blunt statement from a guy who started at 2B in the World Series three or four times, and managed a WS winner.

If Espi wants a career, he gets the surgery and works on his hitting. Maybe he can work on hitting before surgery, but a torn rotator cuff is hard on a ball-player. Maybe worse on pitchers but, as LaRoche said, he needs strength in both shoulders to swing.

Online imref

Were you leading a somewhat active lifestyle?  I'm wondering if playing baseball 7-8 months per year will allow it to heal (quickly?) on its own. 

I was 20 and in ROTC, the only time it bothered me was if I had to do push-ups (I couldn't for months). I couldn't do anything that required pushing with my arm/shoulder, but I was back to normal in about six months.  Just took it easy and worked on gaining strength via push-ups / lifting.

Online imref

That doesn't mean you need or want surgery. In fact, it's not necessarily recommended by doctors. They may prefer to let it heal as much as possible and then do the surgery, so they have to do as little a repair as possible.

I went to the doc about two months after my tear ( I hid it during ROTC advanced camp becaus ri didn't want to be sent home and I had already passed the pt test). At the time I could t fully extend my arm over my head. He told me I had a bad tear and normally he'd recommend surgery, but since I want in any pain I should try rehab.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

He's hitting something like .370 in the last 10 games.  And only has 7 strikeouts.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
this is kind of consistent with trying to change his hitting approach back to 2010 with his minor league coach.  Changing a hitting approach midseason is going to be rough for anyone not named Granderson in 2009.  He started pretty rough in AAA, but you can hope he is starting to get it.  It is possible that all he needed was the cortisone and the coaching.

Online HalfSmokes

If he gets promoted, any chance Syracuse's coaching staff comes with him?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He's not sniffing the home locker room on So Cap St unless there is an injury to a starting infielder.  he gets traded before that happens.