Author Topic: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B  (Read 25577 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Soon Rendon will be back in Triple A and Danny will be smacking dingers in DC

Offline Copecwby20

Saw some video of Espinosa swinging from the left side of the plate in AAA, he looks much better.
My question is if he is so much better batting right handed, how long until he gives up on the whole "switch hitter" thing? I mean technically I can stand in the left handed batter's box and swing, but it doesn't mean I'm can hit switch.

Offline MtnJax

If he keeps improving, he needs to come back up to the majors and help the big club win games. He can play both middle infield spots and when Zim needs a day off Rendon can shift to 3B so Espinosa can be at 2B.

Quality depth is a huge reason why the Nats succeeded last season. Our depth is shoddy this season. Espinosa is probably a couple weeks from the Nats even considering bringing him back, but it would be a big boost if he could get his rhythm back and come up and give us quality at bats.

but is he going to be fine with being the utility guy now? sure, early on when he returns he'll say the right things but we all know he wants to be starting. also, if he is going to be a bench guy, how do we know he will perform as a PH? i don't see him doing well at all in that role. he will be of the mindset i need to make the most of this opportunity and probably start K'ing again

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
but is he going to be fine with being the utility guy now? sure, early on when he returns he'll say the right things but we all know he wants to be starting. also, if he is going to be a bench guy, how do we know he will perform as a PH? i don't see him doing well at all in that role. he will be of the mindset i need to make the most of this opportunity and probably start K'ing again
He's either fine with being the utility guy or he stays in the minors.  Being a starter is out of the question at this point regardless of how that makes him feel.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Agreed. Unless he shows that his bat is so overpowering, I don't see how he could become the starting 2B again. His middle infield flexibility would make him a very desirable bench player for the rest of the year.

He's either fine with being the utility guy or he stays in the minors.  Being a starter is out of the question at this point regardless of how that makes him feel.

Offline DPMOmaha

I don't think he'll be tradeable, not for much, at least, until he shows he can be productive again at the big league level. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I don't think he'll be tradeable, not for much, at least, until he shows he can be productive again at the big league level. 

I think that there'd be quite a bit of interest in him. Struggles or not.

You don't produce back to back 3 WAR seasons and then just fall apart without some time of injury. Teams know that, and will think they can fix him.

Offline DPMOmaha

You don't produce back to back 3 WAR seasons and then just fall apart without some time of injury. Teams know that, and will think they can fix him.
I hear that, but with all the injury issues and the reluctance to address them, I think there's going to be a burden of proof bigger than just mashing at AAA that will be required if we're going to get everything we can from him.

Online HalfSmokes

he has an injury- he just hasn't gotten it fixed- maybe it will heal without surgery?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I hear that, but with all the injury issues and the reluctance to address them, I think there's going to be a burden of proof bigger than just mashing at AAA that will be required if we're going to get everything we can from him.

Not getting much, and full value on a trade, are two very different things when it comes to Espinosa's value.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
he has an injury- he just hasn't gotten it fixed- maybe it will heal without surgery?
Maybe, but he'd have to stop playing now.

Offline DPMOmaha

Not getting much, and full value on a trade, are two very different things when it comes to Espinosa's value.
Sure, but I think the difference between those two is pretty small.  If I were a GM, I'd want to see him perform again at the big league level before I'd move for him.

Online HalfSmokes

who is espinosa valuable to? He's entering arbitration and an established major leaguer, not a prospect, so no 'rebuilding' team will want him since there is a good shot he'd be gone during their window. On the other hand, what contender would risk slotting in a second baseman or short stop who has shown no ability to hit this season? 

Offline DPMOmaha

You know where he'd fit?  Kansas City.  Trade him for Ervin Santana who's haveing a career year and is a free agent after the season.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I don't think War 3 gets Espinosa much unless he learns to hit. Unless he learns enough to stop leading the league in K's. He fields, yes, but 15 homers is not Babe Ruth. He strikes out 180 times a year. Ugly. Fundamentally ugly. Davey: "You don't make the majors by hitting .220 even if you hit 20 homers".

Consider: extra innings, tie game. Nats have a runner on 3B with one out. Would you want Espi at bat or Lombo?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Consider: extra innings, tie game. Nats have a runner on 3B with one out. Would you want Espi at bat or Lombo?
[/quote]

I'll take option C please. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Danny Espinosa.  Still remember that shot he hit off Craig Kimbrel last year good for Kimbrel's first blown save of the season if I remember correctly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
tie game and a dinky little slap can untie it, I'd want Lombo.  Need a bomb? Espinosa.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Tie game and you need a fly, then Espi will swing for the fences and miss that low outside pitch.

Online HalfSmokes

tie game and a dinky little slap can untie it, I'd want Lombo.  Need a bomb? Espinosa.
Espinosa's line in the 9th inning this year, 133/.133/.133 (career .152/.207/.280), of course Lombo is hitting .154/.200/.154 this year in the 9th and .184/.289/.184 over his career- is there another option?

Offline nobleisthyname

This, but both will probably disappoint.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Career - man on 3rd base less than two outs
Espinosa .313/.333/.500/.833
Lombardozzi - .300/.280/.400/.680

So...

(sample size alert)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Espinosa's line in the 9th inning this year, 133/.133/.133 (career .152/.207/.280), of course Lombo is hitting .154/.200/.154 this year in the 9th and .184/.289/.184 over his career- is there another option?
so you are saying with an injury or two in his worst year his average and slugging are neglibly different (given the number of ABs) from Lombo late in a game.  Thanks for making my point.

Online HalfSmokes

so you are saying with an injury or two in his worst year his average and slugging are neglibly different (given the number of ABs) from Lombo late in a game.  Thanks for making my point.

is there any indication that he's had surgery? Otherwise, his worst year slugging may be the new norm, and neither is a good hitter

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Career - man on 3rd base less than two outs
Espinosa .313/.333/.500/.833
Lombardozzi - .300/.280/.400/.680

So...

(sample size alert)
Um... How is Lombo's OBP lower than his batting average there?  Instinct tells me this shouldn't be possible :shock: