Author Topic: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B  (Read 25029 times)

Offline PC

Today's line 0 for 3, 2k ... batting average .107

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Played in the 2nd game of the DH yesterday, went 0 for 3, 1K... now batting .100.
Today's line 0 for 3, 2k ... batting average .107
Huh ... what happened in between?

Offline Slateman

If Espinosa hit .275 and struck out about 15% of the time, his fielding would make him a starter, or at least would give the Nats a question among Espi, Rendon, RZim, and LaRoche.

If he could do that, he'd be a top 3 second baseman in baseball

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
If he could do that, he'd be a top 3 second baseman in baseball
Yeah he doesn't have to hit .275.  If he can hit .240 with his power when healthy he's a great player to have at 2B.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance

Nice catch slate.  I was just copying the two quotes to figure out how a guys BA went up without getting a hit. 

Offline PC

He was 1 for 3 in the game in between.  He's currently on a 1 for 19 stretch with 10K.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Very ALR 2011-like.  ALR had the same injury.  I don't know why Danny can't connect the dots and just get the surgery.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He was 1 for 3 in the game in between.  He's currently on a 1 for 19 stretch with 10K.

So you were purposely omitting stats? Hmm.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Yeah he doesn't have to hit .275.  If he can hit .240 with his power when healthy he's a great player to have at 2B.

My instinct says that 15 homers a year is not much power when you lead the league in K's. Hit 50, lead the league in home runs, and striking out so much is not necessarily bad. Mantle led the league in K's about five times, but he hit 52 homers in '56 (that's from memory...) and averaged 36 homers a season over his entire career, including the years he played hurt.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
My instinct says that 15 homers a year is not much power when you lead the league in K's. Hit 50, lead the league in home runs, and striking out so much is not necessarily bad. Mantle led the league in K's about five times, but he hit 52 homers in '56 (that's from memory...) and averaged 36 homers a season over his entire career, including the years he played hurt.
From a middle infielder where offensive ineptness is commonplace, Espinosa's healthy career numbers are more than good enough.

Offline Slateman

Thanks
So you were purposely omitting stats? Hmm.
Typical liberal
Agreed. Especially when you have Rendon, who could develop 10-15 home run power and hit 300 all the time.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ThanksTypical liberalAgreed. Especially when you have Rendon, who could develop 10-15 home run power and hit 300 all the time.

I can see Rendon becoming a 20-25 homerun hitter. He won't hit moon shots but as he fills out, with those quick wrists, I can see him adding more pop.

Offline Slateman

I can see Rendon becoming a 20-25 homerun hitter. He won't hit moon shots but as he fills out, with those quick wrists, I can see him adding more pop.

Maybe, but that's a stretch right now, especially in a place like Nats park. Now, if he played in Fenway or Yankee stadium, I'd agree.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Maybe, but that's a stretch right now, especially in a place like Nats park. Now, if he played in Fenway or Yankee stadium, I'd agree.

I'm not saying he'll hit that many right now, but in a few years I can see it.

Offline welch

With Rendon's swing, he looks like a 20 - 25 HR guy who hits .300. That's the classic star, a Bernie Williams who happens to play infield.

Some home-run hitters do it with muscle: Mantle, Killebrew, Allison, Hondo. Some with the perfect swing: Aaron, Mays, Banks, F Robinson, Ted Williams. We can't expect him to become Aaron of Ted, but I hope Rendon continues to swing well and connect with the fat part of the bat. If he doesn't hit 40 homers, that's still good: try to be a hitter like Barry Bonds before steroids.

Offline NJ Ave

George Brett.

Offline welch

George Brett.

We could live with a new George Brett or Rod Carew.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
With Rendon's swing, he looks like a 20 - 25 HR guy who hits .300. That's the classic star, a Bernie Williams who happens to play infield.

Some home-run hitters do it with muscle: Mantle, Killebrew, Allison, Hondo. Some with the perfect swing: Aaron, Mays, Banks, F Robinson, Ted Williams. We can't expect him to become Aaron of Ted, but I hope Rendon continues to swing well and connect with the fat part of the bat. If he doesn't hit 40 homers, that's still good: try to be a hitter like Barry Bonds before steroids.

Rendon's short, easy swing reminds me of Pete Rose.

Offline PC

Played both games of a DH today.

0 for 4, 1K in the first game BA - .100
0 for 4, 0K in the second game BA - .094  Notably he left 7 on base today in a game where Syracuse lost 6-5.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Played both games of a DH today.

0 for 4, 1K in the first game BA - .100
0 for 4, 0K in the second game BA - .094  Notably he left 7 on base today in a game where Syracuse lost 6-5.

maybe they just shut him down, or send him to Potomac?  there's really no justification for having him play right now.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
maybe they just shut him down, or send him to Potomac?  there's really no justification for having him play right now.
No Potomac is having a good season.  No need to ruin it.  Just tell Espi he either gets the surgery he clearly desperately needs or he can have his walking papers.  His call.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
No Potomac is having a good season.  No need to ruin it.  Just tell Espi he either gets the surgery he clearly desperately needs or he can have his walking papers.  His call.

The Nats would never release him. He's far too valuable for that.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
The Nats would never release him. He's far too valuable for that.
Not in his injured condition.  And that's why I'd make the albeit empty threat.  Someone needs to convince him that he needs to get the surgery.

Offline welch

Not in his injured condition.  And that's why I'd make the albeit empty threat.  Someone needs to convince him that he needs to get the surgery.

Force Danny to have surgery. This is crazy. Painful to me, and I'm not  him!

Offline NJ Ave

It's one of the most self-destructive seasons I can remember a player having. Maybe he's afraid of the knife, like Laron Landry. There's no other excuse - I don't see how he can think, man, I'm in quite a slump, I'm hitting about .100 for the season and I can't hit the ball to the warning track. My shoulder's fine, but WHAT A SLUMP!