Author Topic: Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job  (Read 5481 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job
« Topic Start: January 22, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
Say it Aint So!  This guy may have been successful once but what has he done lately?!  :doh:

Copied from WTOP.

Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job
January 22, 2008 - 4:11pm

By JOSEPH WHITE
AP Sports Writer
WASHINGTON - Jim Fassel has become a top candidate for the Washington Redskins coaching job after a third interview with owner Dan Snyder.

The former New York Giants coach met with Snyder on Monday, according to a person familiar with the selection process. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Redskins haven't publicly stated the names of any candidates.

The person said Fassel is also the previously unidentified candidate who interviewed with the owner on Jan. 11 and 12.

Fassel was also a strong contender for the Redskins job in 2004, but all candidates were eclipsed when Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs decided to come out of retirement.

Gibbs resigned two weeks ago, and Snyder has interviewed five potential successors: Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora, Redskins assistant Gregg Williams and Fassel.

Mora withdrew his name from consideration last week. Williams has met with Snyder four times and offered the best scenario of continuity for a team coming off a playoff season, but the fiery assistant was unsuccessful during his only stint as a head coach with the Buffalo Bills from 2001-03.

While the coaching search continued, the Redskins solidified their front office structure Tuesday by adding the word "executive" to Vinny Cerrato's title, making him the executive vice president of football operations. The team said Cerrato will assume responsibility for all aspects of the team's football organization, including the roster, scouting and salary cap management.

The move appears to offer a hint that the next coach will have a less influential role than Gibbs, who also served as team president and often consulted with Snyder and Cerrato on equal footing. The Redskins have functioned without a general manager since Snyder bought the team in 1999.

Fassel, 58, took the Giants to the Super Bowl following the 2000 season and went 60-56-1, including 2-3 in the playoffs, during seven seasons in New York. He was the AP's NFL coach of the year in 1997, when he led the Giants to an 11-5-1 record as a rookie head coach.

Fassel was fired following a 4-12 season in 2003 and became a senior consultant to the Baltimore Ravens staff in 2004. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005 but was fired in October 2006 in a midseason shake-up by coach Brian Billick when the Ravens were struggling offensively.

Although he has frequently been mentioned as a coaching candidate for several teams and has had multiple interviews, Fassel spent this season away from the sideline, working as an analyst for CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

By JOSEPH WHITE
AP Sports Writer
WASHINGTON - Jim Fassel has become a top candidate for the Washington Redskins coaching job after a third interview with owner Dan Snyder.

The former New York Giants coach met with Snyder on Monday, according to a person familiar with the selection process. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Redskins haven't publicly stated the names of any candidates.

The person said Fassel is also the previously unidentified candidate who interviewed with the owner on Jan. 11 and 12.

Fassel was also a strong contender for the Redskins job in 2004, but all candidates were eclipsed when Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs decided to come out of retirement.

Gibbs resigned two weeks ago, and Snyder has interviewed five potential successors: Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora, Redskins assistant Gregg Williams and Fassel.

Mora withdrew his name from consideration last week. Williams has met with Snyder four times and offered the best scenario of continuity for a team coming off a playoff season, but the fiery assistant was unsuccessful during his only stint as a head coach with the Buffalo Bills from 2001-03.

While the coaching search continued, the Redskins solidified their front office structure Tuesday by adding the word "executive" to Vinny Cerrato's title, making him the executive vice president of football operations. The team said Cerrato will assume responsibility for all aspects of the team's football organization, including the roster, scouting and salary cap management.

The move appears to offer a hint that the next coach will have a less influential role than Gibbs, who also served as team president and often consulted with Snyder and Cerrato on equal footing. The Redskins have functioned without a general manager since Snyder bought the team in 1999.

Fassel, 58, took the Giants to the Super Bowl following the 2000 season and went 60-56-1, including 2-3 in the playoffs, during seven seasons in New York. He was the AP's NFL coach of the year in 1997, when he led the Giants to an 11-5-1 record as a rookie head coach.

Fassel was fired following a 4-12 season in 2003 and became a senior consultant to the Baltimore Ravens staff in 2004. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005 but was fired in October 2006 in a midseason shake-up by coach Brian Billick when the Ravens were struggling offensively.

Although he has frequently been mentioned as a coaching candidate for several teams and has had multiple interviews, Fassel spent this season away from the sideline, working as an analyst for CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Re: Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job
« Reply #1: January 22, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
THE PLAYOFFS?!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #2: January 22, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »

Offline saltydad

« Reply #3: January 22, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
Please dear G-d NO!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: January 22, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »
I doubt this will happen but if it does it will be a disaster. The players have spoken about who they want and I can see a lot of them refusing to restructure their contracts to help the team get under the salary cap. I can't imagine a worst possible scenario. It's obvious no one in the NFL wants Fassel. No other team has shown interest in him.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: January 22, 2008, 10:54:11 PM »
Good guy but I'll pass on him as head coach.  Hopefully Snyder is just exhausting all of the options before finally naming Gregg the coach. 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #6: January 22, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: January 22, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »
Ditto for me, but I also think Williams would NOT be a good choice either!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #8: January 22, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »

At least the players know and respect Williams.  Why interview the guy 4 TIMES, if you're not going to hire him?!!!

nospinzone1

« Reply #9: January 23, 2008, 01:01:16 AM »
IF THE PLAYERS ARE LOBBYING FOR HIM AND LIKE HIM AND HE DOES NOT GET HIRED, HE WILL WIND UP WITH PARCELLS. SNYDER NEVER HAVE SEEMED TO HAVE A CLUE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GIBBS. MONEY TALKS AND BULLcrap WALKS AND SNYDER IS FULL OF crap.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #10: January 23, 2008, 07:20:34 AM »
Why?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: January 23, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: January 23, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »
Why?

What other reason could there be other than because he's not perceived as a nice guy. kimnat likes character guys like Bill Parcells.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #13: January 23, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »
Could  you even tell what kind of guy he is in this disfunctional organization?

I'm betting he's as good a guy as any other professional football coach. He doesn't seem to preach injuring offensive players or intimidation... his players all play clean. As clean as the rest of the NFL anyway.

What other reason could there be other than because he's not perceived as a nice guy. kimnat likes character guys like Bill Parcells.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #14: January 23, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

ha ha.  No!  >:(   I said that because of his stint in Buffalo.  It was mentioned in the article and others talk about how he really about did in that team.  Now go soak your head in an bucket of ice water and chill.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #15: January 23, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
Fassell is a tool. Maybe be a good coach though. He was reasonably successful for the Giants. 7 years is a pretty long tenure.

This is not what the Redskins need though (at least for next year).  Or maybe it is, depending if you want a rebuild of sorts in terms of playbook and maybe personnel to fit said new playbook.  Their offense was finally starting to get it, even though it was with Collins.

Do you continue down a possibly unsuccessful road with the present staff or do you take your lumps next year for some possible long term improvement with a new staff?

The best thing I remember about Fassell was "pushing his chips to the middle of the table" that the 7-3 Giants would go to the playoffs facing (what I think my friend said when we had this conversation a few years ago) the lowly falcons the following week. Basically going out on a limb that his 8-3 team would make the playoffs

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: January 23, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »
I think it's clear that Williams won't get the job. (Now, watch them hire him tomorrow.)   I think that if he was going to get the job, it would have been done by now.

Seriously, only the Skins could screw things up this badly.  Got Gibbs out of the way so he can't meddle, had the right man (Williams) in line to keep the momentum going next year. Instead, interview the likes of Fassil, Carroll, hire another Spurrier/Turner-like coach, and rebuild again. I see another 10 years of mediocrity. 

Snyder is a self-absorbed child-like creature and the Skins will not break out of this mess until he sells the team.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #17: January 23, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
^

That sounds about right.  But I will say, at least Snyder didn't waffle on keeping the name!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: January 23, 2008, 12:34:55 PM »
ha ha.  No!  >:(   I said that because of his stint in Buffalo. 

A losing record in Buffalo. Interesting. Joe Gibbs had a losing record the past 4 years and people wanted him to stay and deified him for once again leaving the franchise scrambling. In the meantime he is already involved in NASCAR again and had said that he was looking forward to always being back in that. His reasons for coming back were far from what people made them out to be. However, he encountered an animal he could not tame this time around without Bobby Beathard. Maybe when he said he was quitting because his family needed him he meant his family business.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #19: January 23, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
I think it's clear that Williams won't get the job. (Now, watch them hire him tomorrow.)   I think that if he was going to get the job, it would have been done by now.

Seriously, only the Skins could screw things up this badly.  Got Gibbs out of the way so he can't meddle, had the right man (Williams) in line to keep the momentum going next year. Instead, interview the likes of Fassil, Carroll, hire another Spurrier/Turner-like coach, and rebuild again. I see another 10 years of mediocrity. 

Snyder is a self-absorbed child-like creature and the Skins will not break out of this mess until he sells the team.

10 years?  I predict this team will go nowhere as long as Snyder owns it.  Either way, why does he care?  He's making money whether they win or lose.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #20: January 23, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
I better get used to doing this on gamedays  :bang:....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: January 23, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
Yes, I'm saying they're going nowhere as long as he owns the team, and that will be about ten years, maybe less. They have managed to retain the good will of the fans now through 15 years of mediocrity - granted, an unbelievably long time, but still, it won't last forever. Eventually the fans are going to lose interest, it'll take time, but it is inevitable. Actually I think it will be less than 10 years. Once the fans lose interest, he ceases to make money, and he'll sell.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #22: January 23, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
fans have already began to sell their season tickets and a lot are claiming to sell if Fassel comes in as head coach

Yes, I'm saying they're going nowhere as long as he owns the team, and that will be about ten years, maybe less. They have managed to retain the good will of the fans now through 15 years of mediocrity - granted, an unbelievably long time, but still, it won't last forever. Eventually the fans are going to lose interest, it'll take time, but it is inevitable. Actually I think it will be less than 10 years. Once the fans lose interest, he ceases to make money, and he'll sell.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: January 23, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »
To many people willing to take their place. It is going to take a concerted effort by thousands and thousands of fans to make a point. It isn't that difficult really. You can still support the team and still make the point. If everyone just cut down on the merchandise they buy by 50% it would take an enormous toll. Also, if people went to games and didn't buy very much inside the stadium. Imagine going there and cutting down on half of the beer consumption! It would also make the place a bit less rowdy. The problem is that people aren't willing to go through with this. So Snyder is in a win win situation. He gets to do what the hell he wants with the team (and ruin it in the process) and his pockets continue to get thicker and thicker.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: January 23, 2008, 02:55:22 PM »
If people sell their tickets based on the coach being hired, then they weren't real true fans to begin with.