Author Topic: Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job  (Read 5482 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Fassel Becomes Favorite for Redskins job
« Reply #25: January 23, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »
If people sell their tickets based on the coach being hired, then they weren't real true fans to begin with.

I'm almost willing to agree with you but not necessarily. It's their right (because it's their hard earned money) to object to something that they don't agree with if they believe the pattern set by Snyder and its continuation is ruining the franchise (and so far that has proven to be the case). However, selling their tickets does not mean they have stopped loving the team.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #26: January 23, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
If people sell their tickets based on the coach being hired, then they weren't real true fans to begin with.

I don't see it that way. Nothing against Fassel, he's a fine coach. Fans are disgusted with how they are being treated, and the reckless disregard by the owner for fans' desire to have a winner. As we know, winning is secondary to him - not that he doesn't care, but it isn't a high priority, it is below making money and making big news splashes by hiring high-profile players and coaches. Winning is at the top of fans' priority list. Fans long for a winner, and Snyder couldn't care less; hiring an outsider, which means yet another rebuilding, is evidence of that. If he doesn't care about the fan, it is a normal reaction for the fan to disassociate from the team.   

I've disassociated. (Note I use "the fan", third person, not "us" or "we".)  I don't feel disloyal. I feel that the team (embodied by the owner) has been disloyal to me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: January 23, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
This is a big renewal year. If he doesn't come up with a good plan, he might be surprised to see an immediate decline. It probably wouldn't eat through the backlog, but it would be visible.

Yes, I'm saying they're going nowhere as long as he owns the team, and that will be about ten years, maybe less. They have managed to retain the good will of the fans now through 15 years of mediocrity - granted, an unbelievably long time, but still, it won't last forever. Eventually the fans are going to lose interest, it'll take time, but it is inevitable. Actually I think it will be less than 10 years. Once the fans lose interest, he ceases to make money, and he'll sell.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #28: January 23, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »
I don't see it that way. Nothing against Fassel, he's a fine coach. Fans are disgusted with how they are being treated, and the reckless disregard by the owner for fans' desire to have a winner. As we know, winning is secondary to him - not that he doesn't care, but it isn't a high priority, it is below making money and making big news splashes by hiring high-profile players and coaches. Winning is at the top of fans' priority list. Fans long for a winner, and Snyder couldn't care less; hiring an outsider, which means yet another rebuilding, is evidence of that. If he doesn't care about the fan, it is a normal reaction for the fan to disassociate from the team.   

I've disassociated. (Note I use "the fan", third person, not "us" or "we".)  I don't feel disloyal. I feel that the team (embodied by the owner) has been disloyal to me.

I can see your point. I could never give up on my Redskins. They have been a part of my sports landscape for too long for that to happen. But I share your frustrations with Snyder. I'd love to meet him in a dark alley in complete anonymity so I can vent about they way I feel he has destroyed my football team.

There is one alternative to consider even though it makes no sense to me. He could've already told Williams that he will be the HC in spite of the continued interviews he is conducting. Otherwise I don't understand why Williams hasn't come out and said he is no longer interested in the job. I would feel disrespected if I were Williams and had not been assured of getting the HC job. I can't explain why Snyder would want to do that. I don't see any benefit other than the exposure drawing this out is getting him. But the press is mostly negative so he is taking another hit on this one. He could also be waiting until after the Super Bowl to see if he can hire NY's DC, who I believe has only been a DC for one season after defecting from Philly. Snyder is like the guy that has a girlfriend but every pretty girl he sees he goes  :doh: Damn I wouldn't mind having her instead.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #29: January 23, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
Yup. And the tendency when looking at a new "pretty girl" is to see her best features while comparing them to the worst of the girl you already have. And you compare the worst of the girl you already have to a composite of the best features of all those available.

Snyder is like the guy that has a girlfriend but every pretty girl he sees he goes  :doh: Damn I wouldn't mind having her instead.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #30: January 23, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »
snyder should allow saunders or williams to be HC. Maybe someone the PLAYERS want coaching them and have chemistry with already, NOT a new buck.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #31: January 23, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
the guy that has a girlfriend but every pretty girl he sees he goes  :doh: Damn I wouldn't mind having her instead.

Or "too".

Offline spidernat

« Reply #32: January 23, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Or "too".

I guess that would explain why we have so many coaches. But it definitely explains why he treats the Redskins like a fantasy league team.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #34: January 23, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
At least we'd be getting one hell of a new D-Coordinator in Williams' place, though, in Rex Ryan.

Looks like all of this is really gonna go down. I'll hate the idea until Fassel actually does become head coach...then I'll have to accept him. Shoot, after what we did this season, I think ANYONE could coach these guys. Plus, at least Fassel knows how modern day offenses are supposed to work.

MrMadison

« Reply #35: January 23, 2008, 05:48:21 PM »
NO!! YOU CAN'T HAVE SPAGS! don't wait, hire a coach now! :p

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #36: January 23, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »
Look's like it is close to done..

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Fassel, Ryan and Zorn

All of my reporting leads to this trio topping the coaching staff. They have yet to finalize deals but are the top choices for the positions and league sources said the Redskins would like to announce the coaching moves en masse, rather than individually, and that could happen tomorrow.

Jim Fassel is expected to be named head coach, and the hold-up is negotiations with the Ravens regarding Rex Ryan. As I previously reported, contrary to other reports, the Ravens retain Ryan's coordinator rights and can block a lateral move. They appear to be doing that. The sides may reach an agreement, but Ravens ownership badly wants to keep Ryan, who the players love. Fassel and Ryan spoke as recently as last night sources said and Ryan interviewed with Snyder Sunday night, according to sources.

Zorn, as we were the first to report, interviewed for the offensive coordinator job. He is set to depart around 5:40 and if all goes well he would be the leading candidate to replace Al Saunders (with whatever fancy title they want to use).

Everyone is waiting to hammer the contract details out but barring a last second change of heart, disaster, whatever, this is how it's shaping up.

This just stuns me.  Not only is Snyder flushing continuity down the toilet he is also pissing off the fans and the players.  Of all bad things he has done this one takes the cake.  They might as well trade Campbell because I don't know how he is ever going to get better when they change the ****ing playbook every other year. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #37: January 23, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
CRAP

Offline spidernat

« Reply #38: January 23, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
It sounds like it will be announced tomorrow or Friday. They are interviewing Zorn and should have it done soon. I can't believe this jerk had the nerve to say that he had learned about continuity and stability and then does this crap. Who knows, it may work out but the point is that Snyder lies and does not care about the fans or his players. I can see a lot of players not willing to restructure their contracts in order to get released and go elsewhere after this bullcrap. And Gibbs was supposed to have heavy influence. It's possible that he is influencing Snyder and has back stabbed Williams. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #39: January 23, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
This honestly could have something to do w/ Williams not wanting to stay, though. Can't wait to hear the whole story on this one (if it ever comes out).

This just stuns me.  Not only is Snyder flushing continuity down the toilet he is also pissing off the fans and the players.  Of all bad things he has done this one takes the cake.  They might as well trade Campbell because I don't know how he is ever going to get better when they change the ****ing playbook every other year. 

The playbook shouldn't be THAT hard to learn, though. The continuity part, of course, will take some remolding, but not w/ the players as much as w/ the coaches.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: January 23, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
You'll never hear the real story behind this. I don't think it's a case of Williams not wanting to stay. He has been clear that he wanted to stay and the players seem to reflect that willingness.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #41: January 23, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
What about Ryan? I think he's under contract and the Ravens may not be willing to release him of his commitment. Would the Redskins be willing to part with another draft pick as compensation to retain his services?   :doh:

There is also the possibility that this moron is setting up the Redskins to have a setback so that he can 'justify' firing Fassel and his staff a year from now and hire Cowher. Snyder is so stupid that you can't eliminate any possibilities.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #42: January 23, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
 :hang:

I have nothing much to say.  I kind of agree with Ray D.  It's going to be nearly impossible for me to get really worked up over the Redskins, now.

Stronger than my principle of not bandwagoning is my principle of not rewarding a team being managed by a complete buffoon with my undying loyalty.  I switched from the dirtybirds in Bawlmer for good reason, i.e. Angelos.  My contempt for Snyder has just gotten exponentially closer to reaching my contempt for Angelos.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #43: January 23, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »
Here's something wayyyy off base.

What if all this Fassel talk is a ploy to see how the players and fans react?  It wouldn't be the first time someone released incorrect information with dire consequences(see GWB).

Offline spidernat

« Reply #44: January 23, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »

Stronger than my principle of not bandwagoning is my principle of not rewarding a team being managed by a complete buffoon with my undying loyalty. 

Depends on how you define support. If it's financial then yes I agree we should stop putting money in Snyder's pockets. If you mean stop watching them, I say no. Then there are those that equate support with showing up at Redskins Park to welcome them home after road games or send them off for away games in order to be noticed by the team and be praised as the REAL fans. :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #45: January 23, 2008, 10:07:17 PM »
I'm just going to assume (if, in fact, Williams won't be our coach) that he wouldn't have done any better here than he did as the Bills head coach (17-31 record).

It's kind of impossible to get worse than Gibbs II, so at least we know that. :D

I think some here (and in other places) are getting a little TOO pissed about these possible moves. Yes, I would have liked to have seen Williams take over, but I don't think at all that signing new coaches is going to automatically make us worse. I see us having the same chance next year, regardless. The offseason and preseason are the times for these guys to gel. Players are SUPPOSED TO support their coaches, so obviously they supported Williams. They'll support the next one(s) as well...or else they just aren't team players and don't need to be involved in a professional team sport.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #46: January 23, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »
I'm just going to assume (if, in fact, Williams won't be our coach) that he wouldn't have done any better here than he did as the Bills head coach (17-31 record).

The team now in place is much better than the team he inherited in Buffalo (remember who he had at QB?). Also, you have to expect that he may have learned something from the past and has maybe matured into a more competent head coach. After his stint in Buffalo players did not speak well of him. Here he seems to have altered his attitude a little and players seem to like him and support him. I'm concerned about changing offensive systems again. You see it all the time. Teams have a difficult time adjusting to a new system and it takes a while to get into the flow of it. This could mean another wasted season after they had made strides with the current one. Also, if they tank and finish below .500 with the new staff will Snyder then fire them and start again? That's a strong possibility.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #47: January 23, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »
^ I'd like to assume that we'll have a Crennel/Tomlin-type upgrade. :D

I've been hoping for a pass-first offense for a LONG time...or at least 50/50.

Rex Ryan is actually a better D-Coordinator than Williams, IMO.

The Fassel rumor was supposidly false, btw. Not sure if anyone mentioned that or not. Where do these damn rumors come from?!!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #48: January 23, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
^ I'd like to assume that we'll have a Crennel/Tomlin-type upgrade. :D

I've been hoping for a pass-first offense for a LONG time...or at least 50/50.

Rex Ryan is actually a better D-Coordinator than Williams, IMO.

The Fassel rumor was supposidly false, btw. Not sure if anyone mentioned that or not. Where do these damn rumors come from?!!

Crennel didn't get it done overnight. And even now he still hasn't gotten his team to the postseason. Tomlin inherited a solid team but they fizzled by season's end.

Which rumor?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #49: January 23, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
Crennel didn't get it done overnight. And even now he still hasn't gotten his team to the postseason. Tomlin inherited a solid team but they fizzled by season's end.

True on both accounts. But Crennel builds around the best on his team, which, for some reason, most coaches don't do. He took a team with overall less talent than most teams and turned them into a true contender in the league and one of the best offenses.

Tomlin lost a lot in the offseason, but still managed the game really well until they lost their star RB.

Which rumor?

The rumor that Fassel was offered the head coach position.