Author Topic: 2023-24 free agency, trades, and signings  (Read 13283 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2023-24 free agency, trades, and signings
« Reply #525: February 20, 2024, 10:21:21 AM »
Well they don’t have to worry about his power disappearing. 
Im wondering if this was the problem all along

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #526: February 20, 2024, 11:22:04 AM »
Im wondering if this was the problem all along

Since 2020?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #527: February 20, 2024, 01:51:47 PM »
Hyun Jin Ryu heading back to the KBO

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #528: February 22, 2024, 09:53:51 AM »
First game today. Dodgers and Padres. 

Offline imref

« Reply #529: February 25, 2024, 09:02:21 AM »
Bellinger back to the Cubs. 3/$80M with opt outs after each year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #530: February 25, 2024, 09:06:45 AM »
Boras really overplayed that one. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #531: February 25, 2024, 10:25:20 AM »
well, he gets to $30 and $30 the first two years, which is a lot higher than many of the guestimates of what he'd sign for. FG crowd source guesses a $24.4MM AAV over 6 years, Ben Clemens had $25MM AAV over same length, and MLBTR had $22MM AAV over 12 years. It's a nice pillow, and if he hits like last year, he probably gets 6 or 7 years at nearly $30MM AAV when he opts out next year at age 29. He's got a decent back up option, sticking around, if he returns to earth next year. He could have probably walked away this offseason with a 8 year, $180 million contract, but there's a decent shot he beats that if he performs.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
« Reply #532: February 25, 2024, 12:50:56 PM »
Boras really overplayed that one.

He did. One of this biggest negotiating defeats.  It's basically a one year re-establish value deal with the opt-outs, but that's not what he wanted after the season Bellinger had last year.  Kudos to Jed Hoyer and the Cubs FO.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #533: February 25, 2024, 01:11:32 PM »
He did. One of this biggest negotiating defeats.  It's basically a one year re-establish value deal with the opt-outs, but that's not what he wanted after the season Bellinger had last year.  Kudos to Jed Hoyer and the Cubs FO.
With Bellinger’s ups and downs at the plate he should have taken the longest deal he found even if the annual salary was lower.  But they got greedy and talked about 7-8 years.  Good negotiating by the Cubs as you say. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #534: February 26, 2024, 01:03:15 PM »
With Bellinger’s ups and downs at the plate he should have taken the longest deal he found even if the annual salary was lower.  But they got greedy and talked about 7-8 years.  Good negotiating by the Cubs as you say. 
I don't know if this is a good deal for the Cubs at all.   Better than signing him for 7-8 years I suppose.  But, there's very little upside for the team her.  The Cubs probably aren't doing much this season, so if he has a great 2024 season, they have to either give him a tonne of money or lose him.   If he sucks, then they are on the hook for 80 million.   I don't know why teams sign these player option deals with Boras that guarantees the team is going to get screwed one way or the other.

Offline blue911

« Reply #535: February 26, 2024, 04:29:28 PM »
I don't know if this is a good deal for the Cubs at all.   Better than signing him for 7-8 years I suppose.  But, there's very little upside for the team her.  The Cubs probably aren't doing much this season, so if he has a great 2024 season, they have to either give him a tonne of money or lose him.   If he sucks, then they are on the hook for 80 million.   I don't know why teams sign these player option deals with Boras that guarantees the team is going to get screwed one way or the other.

Disagree on the opt-out option. The Nats were gift wrapped a way out of Strasburg’s original contract just in time. Them being too stupid to take advantage of it, doesn’t change the team benefit.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #536: February 26, 2024, 08:43:48 PM »
Disagree on the opt-out option. The Nats were gift wrapped a way out of Strasburg’s original contract just in time. Them being too stupid to take advantage of it, doesn’t change the team benefit.
Last year would have been the last season of the original Strasburg deal, and that would have been just fine.   The right move would have been to walk away from Strasburg and Rendon, but that would have not have gone over well at all.   He looked strong and healthy in 2019, I thought he had at least 2-3 good seasons and a mediocre season or two left.  Player options are never a benefit to the team, it places all the risk on them, and all but guarantees they'll be screwed one way or the other.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #537: February 26, 2024, 09:35:53 PM »
Last year would have been the last season of the original Strasburg deal, and that would have been just fine.   The right move would have been to walk away from Strasburg and Rendon, but that would have not have gone over well at all.   He looked strong and healthy in 2019, I thought he had at least 2-3 good seasons and a mediocre season or two left.  Player options are never a benefit to the team, it places all the risk on them, and all but guarantees they'll be screwed one way or the other.
If they let him walk, they look like geniuses now.

That option was literally a perfect opportunity for the Nats to part ways. Letting him walk after his age 30 season, with a history of shoulder nerve issues was 100% understandable. Especially at 245 million dollars.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538: February 27, 2024, 08:28:36 AM »
you just wonder how they could have redeployed the $$$ after letting Stras and Rendon walk in 2019. Would have looked hyper cruel, but if they could have signed Turner at that point, or Soto, I think all would have been forgiven. Turner especially b/c he was not a Boras client.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #539: February 27, 2024, 09:28:49 AM »
you just wonder how they could have redeployed the $$$ after letting Stras and Rendon walk in 2019. Would have looked hyper cruel, but if they could have signed Turner at that point, or Soto, I think all would have been forgiven. Turner especially b/c he was not a Boras client.

It will be interesting to see in a few years if we would prefer to have Turner or Abrams. I don't see Abrams reaching Turner numbers at Turners peak, but Turner is already on the decline in fielding, at least last year, and at some point Abrams will probably be better than Turner. Let's just hope it's not for somebody else.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #540: February 27, 2024, 10:18:05 AM »
It will be interesting to see in a few years if we would prefer to have Turner or Abrams. I don't see Abrams reaching Turner numbers at Turners peak, but Turner is already on the decline in fielding, at least last year, and at some point Abrams will probably be better than Turner. Let's just hope it's not for somebody else.
Well, they would have targeted something else rather Abrams in trade for Soto, or perhaps Soto isn't dealt at that point and, with Soto, Turner, and a piece instead of Stras, we are as good as the D-backs last year.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #541: February 27, 2024, 10:24:12 AM »
You can never know until they do it. I think Abrams probably has that Trea Turner ceiling in him honestly. He may never hit it, but I think it's there.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #542: February 27, 2024, 10:24:54 AM »
Well, they would have targeted something else rather Abrams in trade for Soto, or perhaps Soto isn't dealt at that point and, with Soto, Turner, and a piece instead of Stras, we are as good as the D-backs last year.
Don't you speak that evil Ricky Bobby.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #543: February 27, 2024, 10:30:52 AM »
You can never know until they do it. I think Abrams probably has that Trea Turner ceiling in him honestly. He may never hit it, but I think it's there.
Prime Turner was just a slick baserunner. Lot of that in Abrams. The difference I think is OBP.

Offline imref

« Reply #544: February 27, 2024, 10:32:54 AM »

it isn't really Turner or Abrams though, it's turner / soto or Abrams, Ruiz, Wood, Gore, Hassell, and Susana (Turner got us Ruiz IIRC whereas as Max got us Gray). At this point I'm still in the camp that trading Soto and Turner was absolutely the right move.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #545: February 27, 2024, 10:57:49 AM »
it isn't really Turner or Abrams though, it's turner / soto or Abrams, Ruiz, Wood, Gore, Hassell, and Susana (Turner got us Ruiz IIRC whereas as Max got us Gray). At this point I'm still in the camp that trading Soto and Turner was absolutely the right move.
this assumes the money saved on Stras would not have been redeployed. If we are talking signing Turner winter of 2019/20, before his big 2020 and 3 years before free agency, he's not getting $35 million AAV for 7 years. There's some savings to be redeployed while we were still contending.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #546: February 27, 2024, 12:02:26 PM »

I definitely think trading Soto for what we got was the right move. I think Turner also because I think it would be crazy to match what the Phillies gave him when he became a free agent. I think the final years of Turners contract might be really ugly.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #547: February 27, 2024, 12:11:17 PM »
I definitely think trading Soto for what we got was the right move. I think Turner also because I think it would be crazy to match what the Phillies gave him when he became a free agent. I think the final years of Turners contract might be really ugly.

Which is why it would’ve been nice to have made serious attempts at extensions previously with a non-Boras guy like Turner.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #548: March 04, 2024, 09:09:40 AM »
Zack Wheeler will extend with the Phillies.  The Snell news seems a Boras plant. Can’t see them signing him.  Puts them over another tier of luxury tax.

https://6abc.com/sports/sources-phillies-zack-wheeler-agree-to-contract-extension/14490130/

Offline imref

« Reply #549: March 04, 2024, 12:53:42 PM »

Zack Wheeler will extend with the Phillies.  The Snell news seems a Boras plant. Can’t see them signing him.  Puts them over another tier of luxury tax.

https://6abc.com/sports/sources-phillies-zack-wheeler-agree-to-contract-extension/14490130/

3/$126M :shock:

The deal doesn't kick in until next year. Wheeler is getting $18M this year.