Author Topic: The Cavalli Has Arrived (delayed until 2024) - Cade Cavalli  (Read 4981 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Cavalli Has Arrived - Cade Cavalli
« Reply #100: February 25, 2023, 02:56:51 PM »
Dunning may have been a stretch first rounder, but he's also a major leaguer. That amounts to about a 50% hit rate for making the majors (Fedde, Giolito, Dunning).  You'd have wanted one of those guys to be a #3 or better.  Giolito has shown that in stretches. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #101: February 26, 2023, 01:45:52 PM »
Cavalli pitched a clean inning against the Astros today.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #102: February 26, 2023, 01:46:41 PM »
:clap:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #103: February 26, 2023, 01:59:30 PM »
No pitch info though

Online IanRubbish

« Reply #104: February 26, 2023, 07:02:30 PM »
Could make sense to use him more as an "opener" early in the season rather than a traditional starter. 

Offline madj55

« Reply #105: March 15, 2023, 03:28:40 PM »
Pretty bummed about this injury. There are only a handful of reasons to be ‘excited’ about this team and Cade was one of them. Him actually looking good in his appearances makes this sting a bit more.

Bad feeling he will have Joe Ross type durability for the team. A solid starter when healthy, but when is he healthy?

Online Mattionals

« Reply #107: March 16, 2023, 09:32:44 AM »
Well this sucks.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #108: March 16, 2023, 09:43:30 AM »
Is this like '00s consulting jargon where "headcount" got "de-hired"?

Has he disarrived now?

That said, Nats have been through this timeline before.  It's pretty similar to the JZ and Stras TJ timelines in terms of career progression.  Just hope the outcomes are as good.

Offline madj55

« Reply #109: March 16, 2023, 09:56:28 AM »
Yeah, I’m not concerned about the surgery itself - it’s almost a pre-requisite for young starters to get it these days.

Just sucks as this was a perfect year for him to start developing in the bigs and we don’t get to watch him as fans of the team. Long-term it shouldn’t be an issue, short term huge bummer.

Life.

Offline imref

thread title updated.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: March 16, 2023, 10:20:04 AM »
At least it is early in the season, too, and not strung out with PRP and other avoidance mechanisms that rarely work. Interesting too they are going straight to TJS rather than the bracing procedure that's been developed. It's funny, but TJS for a guy in his mid-20s is conservative now. Let's hope he's not an outlier and the recovery has him throwing in extended spring and back by mid-season to late season 2024.

Online Natsinpwc

Yes. Better now than later.

Told y’all they needed to be looking for veteran arms. I mean who will the starting rotation be in Rochester if Abbott is the 5th starter and Espino the long guy?  Cmon Lerners.  Let Rizzo spend a couple million.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Told y’all they needed to be looking for veteran arms. I mean who will the starting rotation be in Rochester if Abbott is the 5th starter and Espino the long guy?  Cmon Lerners.  Let Rizzo spend a couple million.
You can always find another Cory Abbott or Paulo Espino.

Online IanRubbish

Espino will be fine as another 5 innings per iP starter.  I like him personally because we were at the Nats-Angels series in Anaheim last year and he was impressed my son knew who he was after my son kept calling his name out for a pre-game autograph.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Might as well stop drafting pitchers.  What a disastrous nightmare.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

I'm guessing that they aren't married to Chad Kuhl, and he'll get pushed out if there's a young minor league arm they want to try. Rutledge, Irvin, an Adon if he figures it out, maybe Thad Ward if he can handle it . . .

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Already did.  That's Chad Kuhl.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Already did.  That's Chad Kuhl.
He has a brother Trea.  Trea Kuhl.

Online IanRubbish

Since the move, this franchise has never drafted and developed a pitcher who has made 30 MLB starts 3 years in a row except for Jordan Zimmermann, and he was an efficient low walk pitcher in the minors.  Rizzo either has to go, or accept that he can’t develop power pitchers.  All these first round pitchers get hurt, have serious control issues, or both.   I’d stop drafting them and focus on offense.  If you want power pitchers they’ll have to be FAs like Max.  Instead, get guys to be efficient and stay in the zone even if it means fewer K’s.  And these types of pitchers don’t need to be drafted in the first round.  Cant have a “reboot” by repeating a failed strategy.  We have no pitching prospects, just guys who’ve struck out a few single A batters. 

Offline imref

Since the move, this franchise has never drafted and developed a pitcher who has made 30 MLB starts 3 years in a row except for Jordan Zimmermann, and he was an efficient low walk pitcher in the minors.  Rizzo either has to go, or accept that he can’t develop power pitchers.  All these first round pitchers get hurt, have serious control issues, or both.   I’d stop drafting them and focus on offense.  If you want power pitchers they’ll have to be FAs like Max.  Instead, get guys to be efficient and stay in the zone even if it means fewer K’s.  And these types of pitchers don’t need to be drafted in the first round.  Cant have a “reboot” by repeating a failed strategy.  We have no pitching prospects, just guys who’ve struck out a few single A batters. 

I don't know if you realize how rare it is for teams to have starting pitchers that make 30 starts 3 years in row.

Looking at the two teams most cite as having the best development programs versus the Nationals:

2022:
Braves: Fried, Wright, Morton
Dodgers: Urias
Nationals: Corbin

2021:
Braves: Morton
Dodgers: Buehler, Urias
Nationals: Corbin

2019:
Braves: Tehran, Fried
Dodgers: Buehler
Nationals: Strasburg, Cobin, Sanchez

2018:
Braves: Foltynewicz, Tehran, Newcomb
Dodgers: None
Nationals: Scherzer, Roark

2017:
Braves: Foltynewicz, Tehran, Newcomb
Nationals: Scherzer, Roark

2016:
Braves: Dickey, Tehran
Nationals: Scherzer, Gio, Roark

Online IanRubbish

Leave me alone for a minute.  My only DC team is the Nats.  As a NorCal sports fan, we tolerate poop
on the street better than losing.  I’m not used to this.  Maybe if I had stuck with the Raljon Football Team
I’d be better equipped to handle organizational dysfunction.

Offline nobleisthyname

Man Julio Teheran was a workhorse.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
A bit hard to remember how high the expectations were for Folty, too.

Online Natsinpwc

Braves have sent Ian Anderson to Triple A.  Third overall pick and was pitching in the World Series in 2021.