Author Topic: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread  (Read 6474 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Our Rochester slugger is back in DC, per the official team Twitter!

Offline Section214

Hitting 7th and playing SS. I hope he stays right in that part of the lineup and locks in at SS the rest of the year. Ride any highs and lows, just let him play every day.

We know the power can be there, I want to see him get on base consistently and play good SS

Offline UMDNats

please let last night be the last game of escobar

Online Natsinpwc

Hitting 7th and playing SS. I hope he stays right in that part of the lineup and locks in at SS the rest of the year. Ride any highs and lows, just let him play every day.

We know the power can be there, I want to see him get on base consistently and play good SS
:thumbs:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Davey says he's the everyday SS for now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Davey says he's the everyday SS for now.
May as well see how he looks.

If his AAA hitting starts translating into the Majors, he may be able to find other spots.

Offline imref

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle things when Adrianza comes back. DSG got the start in center today, Thomas might end up being the odd man out.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
DSG I think was brought in for his versatility, so I imagine he may stay a while.  They are going to need to add a position player by 6/19.  You could see them doing a gimmick and keep Adrianza and Escobar on the IL until then, then add back one.  I see Thomas as the 4th OF.  Without him, the only pop off the bench is Adams.

Just spit ballilng - bench of Adams, Thomas, DSG, and one of Adrianza or Escobar when the team must carry no more than 13 pitchers. Adrianza will also involve removing someone from the 40 man roster, and Voth and Sanchez are gone already. Stras does not need to bump anyone because he was never put on the 60 day IL.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Let Adrianza have a nice long rehab. DSG is a pretty good utility guy. Nats don't need Escobar any longer.

Find a way to get Clippard back to the majors. Weems throws hard, so maybe he is a hoper. There are too many no-hopers in the bullpen and starting for the Nats.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

May as well see how he looks.

If his AAA hitting starts translating into the Majors, he may be able to find other spots.

If he can play a legitimate SS, he stays there.  Bat plays up more there and it's not like there's competition.  An offensively-competent guy who can handle shortstop defense is one of the more valuable commodities in the game.  Only reason a guy like that plays anywhere else is if there's someone who handles SS better and also hits enough to justify it.

Offline imref

Heck of a first weekend.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If he can play a legitimate SS, he stays there.  Bat plays up more there and it's not like there's competition.  An offensively-competent guy who can handle shortstop defense is one of the more valuable commodities in the game.  Only reason a guy like that plays anywhere else is if there's someone who handles SS better and also hits enough to justify it.
give him a few seasons of reps and he might be decent in the field.  Maybe even before House is in the house. But that bat plays.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The arm is worriesome

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
The arm is worriesome

accuracy? Slow release? Strength?

Online Slateman

accuracy? Slow release? Strength?
He seems to struggle with simple throws to first

Offline van lingle mungo

He seems to struggle with simple throws to first

He's coming upright as he releases and he needs to stay low. Zimmerman used to do the same thing right before they moved him to 1b and his throws sailed all over the place. Get low, stay low. Garcia's footwork looks a little clumsy too.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Need Rochester Luis to show up at the plate so the Nats can move him to the corner  :koolaid:

Offline imref

Need Rochester Luis to show up at the plate so the Nats can move him to the corner  :koolaid:

Well, after the first weekend: .368 / .350 / .474 with 5 RBIs on 7-19 hitting.

That plays in the MLB.

Online Slateman

If by corner you mean corner outfield. And by corner outfield, you mean LF

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Keep him at SS. Work on his throwing. Would have been better if he had been in AAA until late in the season, letting him work on his defense, but his catching and throwing have not cost the Nats a game, yet.

Offline Mattionals

Keep him at SS. Work on his throwing. Would have been better if he had been in AAA until late in the season, letting him work on his defense, but his catching and throwing have not cost the Nats a game, yet.

I agree. I was hoping he would stay down in AAA and just work on defense all season. I think his bat will play, but what is his position?

Offline Air Desmond

Garcia reminds me of a young Ian Desmond. He can hit, but every ball hit to him is a bit of an adventure.  Really hope he can take advantage of this opportunity to play pressure free baseball. Looks good so far. One of the few reasons to keep watching this team.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
His fielding reminds me of Xander.  Similar builds. You hope he can be mediocre in a year or two. The bat carries him until then

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
The difference with Ian is that after a bad early season, his fielding improved dramatically.

Garcia reminds me of a young Ian Desmond. He can hit, but every ball hit to him is a bit of an adventure.  Really hope he can take advantage of this opportunity to play pressure free baseball. Looks good so far. One of the few reasons to keep watching this team.

Offline imref

he's not going back to AAA any time soon - .359   .366   .853