Author Topic: Completed deadline deals - 2021  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Completed deadline deals - 2021
« Reply #225: September 08, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
Ruiz and Gray could go into the HOF and Grant Paulsen would still think we got bad value.

Grant Paulsen?  Think?

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
« Reply #226: September 08, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
I think we will have some idea of Gray and Ruiz by the end of the season. If they flop, the deadline trades will look dismal. Of course, there would still be hope that they pull something together during the off-season, and show it in Spring Training.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #227: September 08, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »
What Gray and Ruiz do this season has 0 impact on the trades and their success.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2022
« Reply #228: September 08, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »
What Gray and Ruiz do this season has 0 impact on the trades and their success.

Yep. How they do next year is a much better indicator.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #229: September 08, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »
I think we will have some idea of Gray and Ruiz by the end of the season. If they flop, the deadline trades will look dismal. Of course, there would still be hope that they pull something together during the off-season, and show it in Spring Training.

Some idea, sure.  But these guys are 23.  Most prospects that age, even top ones, are still in the minors. 

For example, Cade Cavalli was born within a month of Ruiz and he's been a fast-moving prospect.  There are even a number of top-100 prospects around baseball who retain that status despite being 23 and in AA.  I remember seeing one of them in high-A earlier this year before he moved up. 

Now age isn't everything, but a few years ago the Diamondbacks had a 23-year-old starter go winless in a few starts.  He had good stuff but was wild, inconsistent, and couldn't go deep in games, so they sent him to the bullpen and then AAA before bringing him back for another season - in which he only managed 170 innings and an ERA over 4 despite making 30 starts.  They then traded him to the Tigers. 

That was Max Scherzer.  Don't rate starting pitchers - or catchers - on what they do at 23 in the majors.

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
« Reply #230: September 08, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »
"Some idea"...to repeat.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #231: September 09, 2021, 06:15:22 PM »
I’m concerned about the damage being done to Adams and Barrera psychologically by anointing Ruiz the number one catcher though he has not hit very well since he was inserted into the lineup. Maybe Barrera is only a backup but he hit while he was playing and now he is in Rochester. He belongs here rather than Avila and Blanco can mentor all three candidates.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #232: September 09, 2021, 06:20:39 PM »
If a player suffers developmental damage because a team acquired a younger, higher potential player than themselves then they probably aren't long for major league baseball. Barrera is a 27-year-old rookie who, yes, did play well up here, but was only here due to emergency. His minor league numbers are bad. I like the guy but not a big deal. Ruiz has absolutely mashed in the minors and clearly has boatloads of potential so it's obvious they will let him work through bumps now. If they're destined to be good MLB players they'll just keep playing well wherever they are at and it will work itself out.

Adams came from a team with 3 catchers above him on the depth chart so this is actually a better situation for him.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #233: September 09, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
I’m concerned about the damage being done to Adams and Barrera psychologically by anointing Ruiz the number one catcher though he has not hit very well since he was inserted into the lineup. Maybe Barrera is only a backup but he hit while he was playing and now he is in Rochester. He belongs here rather than Avila and Blanco can mentor all three candidates.

I think Barrera is part of an offseason trade package

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #234: September 09, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
If a player suffers developmental damage because a team acquired a younger, higher potential player than themselves then they probably aren't long for major league baseball. Barrera is a 27-year-old rookie who, yes, did play well up here, but was only here due to emergency. His minor league numbers are bad. I like the guy but not a big deal. Ruiz has absolutely mashed in the minors and clearly has boatloads of potential so it's obvious they will let him work through bumps now. If they're destined to be good MLB players they'll just keep playing well wherever they are at and it will work itself out.

Adams came from a team with 3 catchers above him on the depth chart so this is actually a better situation for him.

His minor league numbers aren't bad at all.  This season was only 40 games at AAA.  Before that his numbers were perfectly fine for a defensively advanced catcher.  He's definitely worth keeping around as he has options.  He either sits in AAA and comes up for injuries or he becomes the backup when either Adams or Ruiz prove they can't or shouldn't catch.