Author Topic: Completed deadline deals - 2021  (Read 11865 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Completed deadline deals - 2021
« Reply #275: October 05, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »
basically, in 3 words you can sum up the deadline strategy: July killed us.

to be more precise: Schwarbers's hammy + Strasburg's shoulder + Brad Hand + Joe Ross's elbow + Robles' bat =

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #276: October 05, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »
Brad Hand was collapsing going into the trade deadline. It was pretty clear that he wasnt a stable option. Hudson didnt want it and Finnegan clearly wasnt ready. We needed someone to shutdown the 9th inning. Kimbrel, Graveman, Kennedy, or Iglesias. We needed a dude we never had to worry about so Davey could manage innings 5 through 8.

I think our bp blew plenty of games before the 9th inning.   TB, SF, and the Boston all won plenty of games spreading the saves around different relievers.   The Rays and Giants have 10 pitchers in their bullpen better than our best.   

Loading up on inexpensive quality short inning guys is where the value play is right now it seems.   

TB is definitely fascinating.   I think the Giants are the team the Nats should aspire to as a team with probably a similar budget.   A couple big top of the rotation guys, a few big money bats, a few good cost controlled bats, and a whole bunch of quality, inexpensive relievers.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #277: October 05, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »
I think our bp blew plenty of games before the 9th inning.   TB, SF, and the Boston all won plenty of games spreading the saves around different relievers.   The Rays and Giants have 10 pitchers in their bullpen better than our best.   

Loading up on inexpensive quality short inning guys is where the value play is right now it seems.   

TB is definitely fascinating.   I think the Giants are the team the Nats should aspire to as a team with probably a similar budget.   A couple big top of the rotation guys, a few big money bats, a few good cost controlled bats, and a whole bunch of quality, inexpensive relievers.
The Giants have several regulars who are older and their performance was headed downhill. Then they all had major bounce back seasons. Crawford. Posey. Longoria. Bell. And they hit on the free agent pitchers they signed. Expect some major regression from them next year.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #278: October 05, 2021, 03:05:56 PM »
basically, in 3 words you can sum up the deadline strategy: July killed us.
Eh, July was the final nail. But that started last year when Stras never made it out of the gates

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #279: October 06, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
Perhaps it is too early to evaluate all the deadline trades but one stands our for me that I think we should have passed on. It is the Schwarber deal for Aldo Ramirez.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #280: October 06, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
Why’s that?

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #281: October 06, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
Why’s that?
I can't find him on any of the minor league rosters. Also there is sentiment to re-sign Schwarber on this board and I'm not sure that is doable due to the re-build. What verteran would want to come here unless it is an overpay?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #282: October 06, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
I’d guess a fair amount.
I can't find him on any of the minor league rosters. Also there is sentiment to re-sign Schwarber on this board and I'm not sure that is doable due to the re-build. What verteran would want to come here unless it is an overpay?
He was on the Florida rookie ball team.

We’ll see how things go in the offseason. I expect the Nats to be competitive in the market. Id guess we won’t see much happen until the CBA gets resolved.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #283: October 06, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
I’d guess a fair amount.He was on the Florida rookie ball team.

We’ll see how things go in the offseason. I expect the Nats to be competitive in the market. Id guess we won’t see much happen until the CBA gets resolved.
If that was what we received I would definetly have passed.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #284: October 06, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
Perhaps it is too early to evaluate all the deadline trades but one stands our for me that I think we should have passed on. It is the Schwarber deal for Aldo Ramirez.
Why? He was gone at year end anyway.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #285: October 06, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
Why? He was gone at year end anyway.
Wasn't there a team option but expensive (11. M) ?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #286: October 06, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
Schwarber is the only realistic long term free agent I could see the Nats signing. He'll be 29, has a skillset that is conducive to production into his mid 30s, and can slide into the DH spot.

Oh and he seemed to really like Long and Martinez, and maybe he's willing to take deferred money in DC

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #287: October 06, 2021, 01:40:02 PM »
Wasn't there a team option but expensive (11. M) ?
mutual, meaning Schwarber could have turned it down.

As for Aldo Ramirez, he was outstanding in Low A before the trade (Fredericksburg level) and only 20 years old.  However, he had developed elbow tendinitis before the deal so was limited afterwards.  I assume the Nats could have asked for someone else if there was serious damage showing up on his medicals. 

Here's a scouting report:  http://news.soxprospects.com/2021/07/trade-analysis-scouting-aldo-ramirez.html

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #288: October 06, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
mutual, meaning Schwarber could have turned it down.

As for Aldo Ramirez, he was outstanding in Low A before the trade (Fredericksburg level) and only 20 years old.  However, he had developed elbow tendinitis before the deal so was limited afterwards.  I assume the Nats could have asked for someone else if there was serious damage showing up on his medicals. 

Here's a scouting report:  http://news.soxprospects.com/2021/07/trade-analysis-scouting-aldo-ramirez.html

Elbow issues in a 20-year-old at a low-A workload does not project to a starter.  He actually sounds more like a fast-moving reliever type despite the age.  That's hardly a bad result and still worth the risk as Schwarber was gone anyway. 

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #289: October 06, 2021, 03:47:52 PM »
Elbow issues in a 20-year-old at a low-A workload does not project to a starter.  He actually sounds more like a fast-moving reliever type despite the age.  That's hardly a bad result and still worth the risk as Schwarber was gone anyway. 
I don't believe it was a "fait accompli" that Schwarber was gone anyway. Yes he could have turned down that option and re-negotiated a longer term contract but I'm not sure the Lerners(?) would go along with that for next year as the club is re-building.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #290: October 06, 2021, 03:51:02 PM »
I don't believe it was a "fait accompli" that Schwarber was gone anyway. Yes he could have turned down that option and re-negotiated a longer term contract but I'm not sure the Lerners(?) would go along with that for next year as the club is re-building.

He could have and would have.  That contract was a nicely dressed-up opportunity for Schwarber to prove he can hit enough to earn a big payday at a destination of his choice.  He did that. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #291: October 07, 2021, 12:25:29 AM »
If that was what we received I would definetly have passed.

Well he is from Aguascalientes, Mexico. So he should be a bullpen fixture for years.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #292: October 07, 2021, 04:09:20 PM »
Well he is from Aguascalientes, Mexico. So he should be a bullpen fixture for years.
And your point is?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293: October 07, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »
but so was Yunesky Maya.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #294: October 07, 2021, 05:04:37 PM »
but so was Yunesky Maya.
I should have known that !! my bad.:)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #295: October 07, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
I should have known that !! my bad.:)

Wait, isn't Yunesky Maya Cuban?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296: October 07, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298: October 08, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Wait, isn't Yunesky Maya Cuban?
but he's listed as having pitched at Aguascalientes in the wiki.  Did we sign him out of the Mexico League or did we sign him straight out of Cuba?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #299: October 08, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
but he's listed as having pitched at Aguascalientes in the wiki.  Did we sign him out of the Mexico League or did we sign him straight out of Cuba?

He pitched for the Nats starting in 2010 and in Mexico starting in 2018.  If time was operating conventionally, the Nats did not sign him out of the Mexican League.