Author Topic: Safety at Nationals Park  (Read 2268 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Safety at Nationals Park
« Topic Start: July 17, 2021, 11:12:57 PM »
.@Nationals, it took way too long for you to communicate what fans should do. Lots of commotion. No announcement for an extended period of time. I was 1 of the 1000s who ran *in the exact direction* of where you’re now saying the shooting took place. Because security told me to.

https://twitter.com/subhancheema/status/1416578250164383744?s=21

There needs to be answers. There is no reason to assume it is a safe place. I’m certain I’ll be at a game sooner than later, but I don’t blame those who don’t feel safe taking kids.

This is sad.
If you are worried about the police response, then I'll tell you it was fast and massive.  I heard numerous cars arriving from the eastern direction going up M Street or down Potomac when I was at the Navy Yard Station.  As for the Nats, I do wonder if they've drilled on this. It is the first shooting outside the park during a game, as far as anyone can remember.  I think it is reasonable to expect some panic if there are audible shots, and while I was literally at the Bullpen going over the Navy Yard when Finnegan was coming off the mound, the station was starting to fill at 3 minutes later.  The nats do a PSA on emergencies about 10 minutes before the Anthem, which was 15 minutes before first pitch, but I think no one really listens.