Author Topic: Safety at Nationals Park  (Read 622 times)

Online imref

• Redemption
Re: Safety at Nationals Park
« Reply #25: July 19, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity (unrelated to security) ... how did they handle the ticket situation. (I ask because I haven't seen this covered in anything I've read.) Did ticket holders for the Friday (suspended game) get to go to the resumption on Saturday?   I'm sure  they didn't clear the stadium (in 25 minutes), and clearly they would not have let them stay for the regularly scheduled game (because, then what would they do with ticket holders for the scheduled game) so I am left to conclude that ticket holders for Saturday's game got to go to the resumption and then stay, while Friday ticket holders were crap out of luck. Is that how it was handled?

the only reasonable approach is to allow those who were at the game on Friday to exchange their tickets for another game, but I haven't seen any policy announcement.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #26: July 19, 2021, 06:56:41 PM »
Between what happened Saturday and the violent fatal carjacking from earlier this year, I’m a little concerned about what’s going on in the neighborhood. I’ll still go to the occasional game but I’m going to be a lot more vigilant. Seems like violent crime is up everywhere so you can’t be too careful.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: July 19, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »
Actually, they offered tickets to a game later in the year.

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #28: July 19, 2021, 07:36:04 PM »

:thumbs:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: July 19, 2021, 11:03:59 PM »
I don’t do cruise ships. . . You’re probably right but I am less inclined now to go to a night game.  I usually park near the 7-11. Always get safe walking out the LF gate. One time we did see what looked like a kid from the burns cold cocked by what looked like a local kid. We assumed it was a drug deal gone bad. Just seems like it has gotten a little less safe. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: July 19, 2021, 11:04:25 PM »
Shootings optional?

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #31: July 19, 2021, 11:43:51 PM »
Shootings optional?

Free jello shooters

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #32: July 20, 2021, 06:26:55 AM »
Does the area around Nats Park seem less safe than seeing Redskins games at RFK when Joe Gibbs was coaching ?

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #33: July 20, 2021, 07:36:06 AM »
Heck Yes, a lot more dangerous at Nats Park as compared to the RFK Gibbs years, even though the area around RFK is real sketchy, to say the least.  Bringing kids to Nats Park for games that end at night is a no-go for me, from now on.  Sorry, but its not worth the nightmares for the kids (and for me!).

Online hotshot

« Reply #34: July 20, 2021, 07:50:42 AM »
Lerners can't be happy about this. Wonder what can be done though -- by anyone?

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #35: July 20, 2021, 08:53:07 AM »
The Pearl clutching is amazing…

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #36: July 20, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »
Has anyone heard if the second car was located in the drive -by?

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #37: July 20, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
leaving the game Sunday we saw thousands of people all around the area around the park eating in restaurants and walking around. I've never felt unsafe in the area, certainly not in the last several years with all the development, and I've been taking my kids to games since the team started at RFK.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #38: July 20, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
Maybe for you, as you are probably a city dweller, but for me from the 'burbs, I will not step foot around Nats Park after dark; just too dangerous for me and my kids.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: July 20, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Maybe for you, as you are probably a city dweller, but for me from the 'burbs, I will not step foot around Nats Park after dark; just too dangerous for me and my kids.
Your kids have a greater chance to be killed by a drunk driver than shot at Nats Park

Offline rileyn

« Reply #40: July 20, 2021, 09:56:38 AM »
Really?

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nats Pk 2008-19
« Reply #41: July 20, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »
Your kids have a greater chance to be killed by a drunk driver than shot at Nats Park

...or, where I reside in south Arlington, get mown down by one of Columbia Pike's notorious kamikaze bicyclists, runners and scooters.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #42: July 20, 2021, 10:01:28 AM »
Really.  It’s just the mindset of a person living in the burbs vs. a person living in the city, I suppose.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #43: July 20, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »
...or, where I reside in south Arlington, get mown down by one of Columbia Pike's notorious kamikaze bicyclists, runners and scooters.
Ironically, back when I used to bike to work on the W&OD, I was terrified of kids on bikes on the way home. The kids werent really great at staying in their lane, and you never knew when they would suddenly drift over as you were oncoming

That and the deer that came out of nowhere one morning at like 5:30 . . .

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #44: July 20, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
And shoot, I used to go back in the day to Memorial stadium on 33rd street in Balmer.  That was somewhat terrifying I must admit walking to wherever I had parked my car on a side street at 11 pm.  not remembering where I had parked and having to walk to-and-fro to find it in the dark in dangerous neighborhoods was not fun.

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #45: July 20, 2021, 10:14:03 AM »

I live about 40 miles west of the park in Virginia, just on the edge of horse country.  We've been to plenty of night games and never had an issue.  If I didn't want to walk around the park at night, I'd just park at one of the garages beyond the OF.   We've also been to plenty of night games at Capital One without any concerns.  There are always tons of people around the park (and CapOne)

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #46: July 20, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Does the area around Nats Park seem less safe than seeing Redskins games at RFK when Joe Gibbs was coaching ?

The design and layout of all of that looks like it made it a lot easier to contain and have a sufficient security presence. People were generally going straight to the metro or the parking lot afterwards, which is a night and day difference between having to stroll many city blocks often to get to parking. Families are also going to be less and less inclined to run the gauntlet as it were for the walk back to the metro or the parking after incidents like this.

As evidenced in this thread, families coming from NOVA are going to be more comfortable with the former model, just from a logistical/time-saving aspect. (Remember the shuttle buses they were running from RFK for the first few years?) When the N Street construction finally filled in in 2019, the logistics got even tougher. Had passes for the garage for a day game with kids in tow and couldn’t get a couple of blocks in 45 minutes upon arrival. Amongst other reasons, they turned 1st St., Southeast into charter bus parking, which creates its own logistical issues. Some of the other adults I was bringing said they didn’t plan to be taking their kids to the games if this is the way it was going to be.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nats Pk 2008-19
« Reply #47: July 20, 2021, 10:24:06 AM »
[...]We've also been to plenty of night games at Capital One without any concerns.  There are always tons of people around the park (and CapOne)

The Caps, Nats and (to a lesser extent) the Wizards all draw well so there's safety in numbers, both on the Metro and at the Nats Park taxi rank on the other side of M street. The reason I stopped going to night matches (from 2014) was all the blood-pressure meds I'm taking in recent years.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #48: July 20, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »
Heck Yes, a lot more dangerous at Nats Park as compared to the RFK Gibbs years, even though the area around RFK is real sketchy, to say the least. 

this is complete bullcrap

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #49: July 20, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
Probably have a better chance of being shot at school than at Nats Park.