Author Topic: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch  (Read 716 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch
« Reply #25: February 05, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »
At least from a fan's perspective there is a reasonable option to get the games now.   Previously, most of the area had no option.   It seems the way this is playing out is that AT&T is positioning themselves to be a premium priced sports network with all the sports channels and most other carriers are deciding it's not worth it.   That's a positive direction in terms of consumer choice, but RSNs are going to be in trouble if they have to rely on the people willing to pay more for them.

All this legal jargon is great but the question remains - is the local SoCal cable company carrying the Dodgers RSN or not?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: February 05, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
All this legal jargon is great but the question remains - is the local SoCal cable company carrying the Dodgers RSN or not?
I think mostly they do not. Have a friend out there in Santa Barbara and he doesn’t get them in cable. But MLB tv still blacks out the dodger games in his area.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
« Reply #27: February 05, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
No.   But Directv wasn't either until last year.   So at least now there is one option when there was none for 7 years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: February 05, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
At least from a fan's perspective there is a reasonable option to get the games now.   Previously, most of the area had no option.   It seems the way this is playing out is that AT&T is positioning themselves to be a premium priced sports network with all the sports channels and most other carriers are deciding it's not worth it.   That's a positive direction in terms of consumer choice, but RSNs are going to be in trouble if they have to rely on the people willing to pay more for them.

That has to be something keeping owners up at night. RSN ratings are pretty universally dismal, but they make their money off of forced carriage fees. If people ever get the choice, they are in trouble

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #29: February 05, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »
That has to be something keeping owners up at night. RSN ratings are pretty universally dismal, but they make their money off of forced carriage fees. If people ever get the choice, they are in trouble

https://fortune.com/2020/09/21/cord-cutting-record-covid-19-pandemic/

Cord cutting has to be decimating the RSN monies coming in. I don't know if MLB.tv is making up the difference?

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #30: February 05, 2021, 11:40:54 AM »

Cord cutting has to be decimating the RSN monies coming in. I don't know if MLB.tv is making up the difference?

It really seems baseball is heading for a pretty massive financial crash / restructuring in the coming years.  The fanbase just isn't there to justify these high fees.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
« Reply #31: February 05, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »

mlb.tv is at most about $200 million in revenue.  But probably quite a bit less than that as the estimate in this article is based on app downloads.  https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/refunds-for-mlb-tv-will-reportedly-exceed-200-million-this-year.html

That's only 2/3s of the Dodgers TV deal alone.

There's a day of reckoning coming for sure.   If Sinclair doesn't make a lot of moves in carriage agreements, I doubt they'll last two months into the baseball season.    They may scrape their way through another year or two, but there is no path forward for these RSNs to continue to pay these contracts while losing subscribers.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #32: February 07, 2021, 07:11:01 PM »
How much do you think MLB could make if they showed in-region games?

Gonna be listening to Charlie and Dave a lot this year.

mlb.tv is at most about $200 million in revenue.  But probably quite a bit less than that as the estimate in this article is based on app downloads.  https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/refunds-for-mlb-tv-will-reportedly-exceed-200-million-this-year.html

That's only 2/3s of the Dodgers TV deal alone.

There's a day of reckoning coming for sure.   If Sinclair doesn't make a lot of moves in carriage agreements, I doubt they'll last two months into the baseball season.    They may scrape their way through another year or two, but there is no path forward for these RSNs to continue to pay these contracts while losing subscribers.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: March 21, 2021, 06:33:29 PM »
As best I can tell the Marlins still don’t have a TV deal for this season less than two weeks before opening day.

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #34: March 21, 2021, 07:33:13 PM »
As best I can tell the Marlins still don’t have a TV deal for this season less than two weeks before opening day.

Will anyone in Miami notice?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: March 21, 2021, 07:46:03 PM »
Will anyone in Miami notice?
Maybe. We had the games last year on local tv in Orlando so I will notice.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: March 22, 2021, 01:08:16 PM »
The Marlins game is on Fox Sports south today so they just have a deal.

Offline imref

• Redemption
« Reply #37: March 22, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
I'm really starting to wonder if MLB is trying to tank this season to boost its position in the upcoming CBA.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: March 24, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »
The Marlins game is on Fox Sports south today so they just have a deal.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1374720099903488006
Sources indicate the Marlins new multi-year TV deal is more than doubles their previous one annually from a financial perspective. Substantially more than double. In addition the deal is more than 5 years in length.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #40: March 24, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »
FBN - Amazon Prime will stream 21 Yankee games this season.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nats Pk 2008-19
« Reply #41: April 04, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
I'm really starting to wonder if MLB is trying to tank this season to boost its position in the upcoming CBA.

Wouldn't be surprising, especially if Covid situations like the Nats are having occur at significantly more franchises.