Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Section214

Re: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP
« Reply #200: July 27, 2022, 08:41:54 PM »
Back on the mound for Rochester tonight - 5 IP 3H 3BB 0R 3K - 75 pitches, 45 Strikes. 

I know everyone is going to say "there's no rush" etc. etc., but I don't see what we are waiting for if he is healthy. Just give him some starts up here and then shut him down from here when the time comes.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #201: July 27, 2022, 08:57:43 PM »
I think he would have if he hadn't got a blister. Happy to give him time. But he does seem ready to get a taste

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #202: July 28, 2022, 11:51:11 AM »
It's time. Call him up.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #203: July 28, 2022, 05:35:52 PM »
It's time. Call him up.

Just wait a few days.  He's not on the 40-man, but roster space issues there will soon solve themselves.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #204: July 28, 2022, 06:08:16 PM »
Lets give him one more start. Make sure the blister is good. Then bring him up and let him develop.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #205: July 28, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
He'll be brought up after the trade. The marketing team will make a big deal of it as a chance to come see the future and a distraction from the moves they just made.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #206: July 30, 2022, 10:10:51 AM »
Only 75 innings so far this year. Think they will want to get more innings under him before a September call up.

Offline RD

« Reply #207: July 30, 2022, 02:49:33 PM »
Only 75 innings so far this year. Think they will want to get more innings under him before a September call up.

There's no reason he can't get those innings at the big league level. You want to give him time to pitch and have to make some adjustments. Calling him up for a couple starts in September may not be enough.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #208: July 30, 2022, 04:03:04 PM »
Frankly  getting an accurate measure of what he can do in the majors tells you something about how many pitchers you need to find for next year's rotation.

I buy what Blue911 is saying. Biggest thing is a full season. I just feel that it's not pennant-stretch pressure now for this team so I am not sure of the extra stress. I hope they have a good feel for his head at this point.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #209: July 30, 2022, 04:20:33 PM »
There's no reason he can't get those innings at the big league level. You want to give him time to pitch and have to make some adjustments. Calling him up for a couple starts in September may not be enough.
I’m just thinking that if he gets rocked early in starts he is more likely to get pulled early.  Even with this sinking ship of a team. Also command seems his only issue. He threw only 45 strikes in 75 pitches last outing. If it was me I would want to see better before promoting him. It’s not about appeasing the fans. I’m sure he will get a few starts this year.  Just a matter of when

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210: July 30, 2022, 05:19:24 PM »
I buy that smart people may truly believe he's not ready. You don't want him to get the Adon treatment. That's like the Ralphie treatment for starters. If it is just a matter of getting work, then maybe doing it against better hitters will help.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #211: July 30, 2022, 06:31:48 PM »
Got like four more starts until September. Not sure why it matters anymore

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #212: August 03, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »
Watched him last night, and missed most of the Nats-Mets. A not good / not bad night for Cavalli: 4 innings, 5 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, hit the same guy twice and almost hit (him?) a third time. 85 pitches and 50 strikes. The two runs came in the first inning. Unfortunate time to load the bases, since Cavalli then hit somebody. Just one game, but Cavalli did not look like the next Stephen Strasburg...let's hope for the future.

(After that, Francisco Perez pitched two scoreless and hitless innings, struck out four. Then Will Harris pitched a 1-2-3 inning. Columbus hitters looked over-matched against both.)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #213: August 07, 2022, 08:54:52 PM »
Copying this over from the Game 4 thread against Philly today:

Cavalli pitched 5 innings, gave up 6 hits, 2 ER, 3 walks, 4 Ks. Francisco Perez pitched a clean inning. Tyler Clippard has just struck out the first batter he has faced. However, Red Wings have only 2 hits. Trail Columbus 2 - 1.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #214: August 07, 2022, 08:58:12 PM »
Copying this over from the Game 4 thread against Philly today:
Thanks.  OK, I guess.  Don't see the need to rush him. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #215: August 08, 2022, 09:39:28 AM »
There's no way they're calling him up this weekend to have his Major League baptism be a Juan Soto moonshot, so soonest we see him is back half of August.

Wasn't the hope he'd be up in May? June?

Is there any reading of this season's production that isn't concerning?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #216: August 08, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »
There's no way they're calling him up this weekend to have his Major League baptism be a Juan Soto moonshot, so soonest we see him is back half of August.

Wasn't the hope he'd be up in May? June?

Is there any reading of this season's production that isn't concerning?
He's a pitcher and he was always high risk. Sometimes  it just takes time. He reached a level where he couldn't just throw his fastball by people and has needed to develop.

And he has. While I dont think he needs to be called up now, I think that not calling up soon is doing a disservice to the development he's done.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #217: August 08, 2022, 01:33:27 PM »
Yesterday, Cavalli was comfortable throwing 97 mph strikes. Has a nice curve that floats shoulder high and drops to the batter's knees. Certainly better than Cory Abbott.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218: August 08, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
He's a pitcher and he was always high risk. Sometimes  it just takes time. He reached a level where he couldn't just throw his fastball by people and has needed to develop.

And he has. While I dont think he needs to be called up now, I think that not calling up soon is doing a disservice to the development he's done.
you think there's any way they are playing a service time game to get an extra year of control?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #219: August 08, 2022, 04:20:59 PM »
you think there's any way they are playing a service time game to get an extra year of control?
Yes. But its justifiable. He isnt dominating his opponents on a regular basis. He clearly needs some work. And with a lost year in 2020, its pretty easy to justify limiting innings and work load.

That being said, I genuinely feel like he should get a good feeling for pitching at the MLB level before the year ends. Gives him insight in what needs to work on in the offseason. Also preps him for his callup next year, whenever that is.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #222: August 13, 2022, 10:21:45 PM »
Call him up :whip:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #223: August 13, 2022, 10:22:36 PM »
Absolutely no reason to keep him in the minors.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #224: August 13, 2022, 10:27:23 PM »
Absolutely no reason to keep him in the minors.
Waiting on new owners to make that critical decision.   :hysterical: