Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP  (Read 11128 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP
« Reply #75: July 23, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
zuckerman proving groundbreaking info that a SP prospect not exactly lighting it up in AA at the end of july will not make the majors this year

not sure anyone has even mentioned it
well, the pitching in the AFL is news. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #76: July 24, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
So I’m guessing one more start, crap him down for august and then get him going again in instructional league and the afl?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #77: July 24, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »
Pitched well tonight. 6 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 7 K, 2 BB.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #78: July 24, 2021, 10:17:01 PM »
:clap:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #79: July 24, 2021, 11:31:07 PM »
Best start in AA do far.  Give him 1-2 more then shut him down til instructs and the afl

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: July 27, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/connor-brogdon-garrett-whitlock-and-cade-cavalli-on-learning-and-developing-their-changeups/

Cade Cavalli, Washington Nationals prospect

“In my opinion, the changeup is the hardest pitch to hit in baseball. I know that when I was a hitter, I didn’t like hitting changeups. And I didn’t have one going into college. Along with being hard to hit, it’s the hardest pitch to learn. So it took a little bit of time and effort, every single day, to get that feel and be able to command that pitch.

More in the article

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #81: July 27, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/connor-brogdon-garrett-whitlock-and-cade-cavalli-on-learning-and-developing-their-changeups/

More in the article

Sounds like he’s smart and hardworking.  Add that to his dominant stuff and large frame…. Very encouraging

Online Slateman

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #84: July 30, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
That’s freaking nasty

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #85: July 30, 2021, 09:43:08 PM »
99 mph with crazy sink

Offline rileyn

« Reply #86: July 30, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »
LFG!!!! 

Online imref

« Reply #87: July 30, 2021, 10:02:49 PM »
6.2IP, 12Ks, 2 hits, 1 walk, no ER. Looks like he’s figured out AA.

Online Slateman

« Reply #88: July 30, 2021, 10:05:04 PM »
Legit, check him for sticky stuff

Online imref

« Reply #89: July 30, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »
67 strikes in 97 pitches

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #90: July 31, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »
Harrisburg team summary:

The Senators tallied four runs in the first on their way to an 8-2 win Friday night at Altoona. The runs in the first were all Senators starter Cade Cavalli needed. Three home runs by the Senators accounted for five of their eight runs. The win snapped the Senators six-game losing streak.

ON CAPITAL HILL

Cade Cavalli went 6.2 dominant innings. He struck out 12, walked one and allowed just two hits. He retired 16 straight batters before walking the final hitter he faced. He struck out six of the final eight batters he faced.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #91: August 05, 2021, 09:42:26 PM »
5 innings, 3 hits, 3 walks, 8 Ks, and 1 run for cavalli tonight.  ERA down to 2.52 with 133 Ks in 82 innings across both levels.

Hit 98 mph in the one clip I could find from tonight

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #92: August 07, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
Hottest prospect watch this past week:

8. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Nationals
Team: Double-A Harrisburg (Northeast)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 12 SO.

The Scoop: If you just watched the Futures Game and that is your lone impression of Cavalli, you may think that control has been a consistent issue for him. Cavalli walked two batters of the five he faced at the Futures Game, and that came just days after he had walked six in 4.2 innings in his previous start. But Cavalli has actually been able to find the strike zone in general. You can look at walk rates, but strike percentage is another, more granular way to look at a pitcher’s ability to throw strikes. The MLB average is a 63.8% strike percentage this year. Cavalli’s strike percentage this year is also 63.8%. But there have been three starts this year where Cavalli dipped below 60% strike percentage—a 59.5% strike percentage in his fourth start of the year, and two mid July starts around his Futures Game outing where he had a 49% strike percentage. Cavalli generally throws strikes, he just had an ill-timed dip. (JC)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: August 07, 2021, 12:52:59 PM »
Hottest prospect watch this past week:

8. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Nationals
Team: Double-A Harrisburg (Northeast)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 12 SO.

The Scoop: If you just watched the Futures Game and that is your lone impression of Cavalli, you may think that control has been a consistent issue for him. Cavalli walked two batters of the five he faced at the Futures Game, and that came just days after he had walked six in 4.2 innings in his previous start. But Cavalli has actually been able to find the strike zone in general. You can look at walk rates, but strike percentage is another, more granular way to look at a pitcher’s ability to throw strikes. The MLB average is a 63.8% strike percentage this year. Cavalli’s strike percentage this year is also 63.8%. But there have been three starts this year where Cavalli dipped below 60% strike percentage—a 59.5% strike percentage in his fourth start of the year, and two mid July starts around his Futures Game outing where he had a 49% strike percentage. Cavalli generally throws strikes, he just had an ill-timed dip. (JC)
Link to the source?  I'm guessing Jim Callis.  Who is he with now?

Online imref

« Reply #94: August 12, 2021, 08:11:54 AM »
7IP, 4H, 6K, 2BB, 0R last night

Offline wj73

« Reply #95: August 12, 2021, 10:29:30 AM »
7IP, 4H, 6K, 2BB, 0R last night

We were there last night. My first impression of him as he walked out for his warm ups was, wow, is he a big kid! Not at all fat, but a large frame, very well-built.

I came away impressed as hell with this kid. I know he’s had his struggles with control in the past, but he looked good last night. He came out torching it right out of the gate. His fastball was consistently 98-99, even touching 100 a couple of times in the first. His curve runs 88-90. Fisher Cat players didn’t get a hit till the 3rd. They just didn’t know what to do with him.

He got into a spot of trouble in the 5th. He gave up a lead off single, then that player went to second on a passed ball. A grounder to first moved the runner to third, with one out. He didn’t get rattled at all, promptly striking out the next two batters to end the inning.

He pitched into the 7th. His fast ball was still clocking in at 98, but his control began to slip just a bit. He walked the first batter, then the next batter just barely caught the ball with the bat, but it was enough to get him to first. Then the third batter successfully bunted. Bases loaded, no outs. But he kept his cool for the next batter, inducing a 5-2-3 DP. He then got the next batter to ground out.

Besides his pitching, what struck me most was his poise. First, the start of the game was rain delayed for 1:34. I think some young players may have been a bit rattled at having their before-game routine disrupted, but he came out in top form right from the get go. Secondly, he didn’t get rattled when there were misplays behind him. Remember how a young Strasburg used to get so rattled when there was an error behind him that he’d promptly walk the next couple of batters? Not this kid. He just faced the next batter like nothing happened. Thirdly, he showed good defensive sense on the couple of balls he had to field, throwing accurately to first, or in one case, having the sense to not throw when when it wouldn’t have done any good and risked an overthrow.

All in all, this kid looked like the real deal.

Offline Section214

« Reply #96: August 12, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »

We were there last night. My first impression of him as he walked out for his warm ups was, wow, is he a big kid! Not at all fat, but a large frame, very well-built.

I came away impressed as hell with this kid. I know he’s had his struggles with control in the past, but he looked good last night. He came out torching it right out of the gate. His fastball was consistently 98-99, even touching 100 a couple of times in the first. His curve runs 88-90. Fisher Cat players didn’t get a hit till the 3rd. They just didn’t know what to do with him.

He got into a spot of trouble in the 5th. He gave up a lead off single, then that player went to second on a passed ball. A grounder to first moved the runner to third, with one out. He didn’t get rattled at all, promptly striking out the next two batters to end the inning.

He pitched into the 7th. His fast ball was still clocking in at 98, but his control began to slip just a bit. He walked the first batter, then the next batter just barely caught the ball with the bat, but it was enough to get him to first. Then the third batter successfully bunted. Bases loaded, no outs. But he kept his cool for the next batter, inducing a 5-2-3 DP. He then got the next batter to ground out.

Besides his pitching, what struck me most was his poise. First, the start of the game was rain delayed for 1:34. I think some young players may have been a bit rattled at having their before-game routine disrupted, but he came out in top form right from the get go. Secondly, he didn’t get rattled when there were misplays behind him. Remember how a young Strasburg used to get so rattled when there was an error behind him that he’d promptly walk the next couple of batters? Not this kid. He just faced the next batter like nothing happened. Thirdly, he showed good defensive sense on the couple of balls he had to field, throwing accurately to first, or in one case, having the sense to not throw when when it wouldn’t have done any good and risked an overthrow.

Thank you for this recap. It sounds like I need to catch a game of his in the minors, while I still can!

Online Mattionals

« Reply #97: August 12, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »

Sounds like an Ace. If he just starts yelling curses on the mound and stomping he could be Max! All joking aside, I'm real high on Cavalli.

Offline wj73

« Reply #98: August 12, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
Sounds like an Ace. If he just starts yelling curses on the mound and stomping he could be Max! All joking aside, I'm real high on Cavalli.

He actually did show a lot emotion after the double play in the 7th!

As for poise, I forgot to mention he did not lose his focus when a large flock of noisy geese flew low directly over the mound at one point. He just glanced up, then when they flew off, he got right down to business again.

He also did not lose focus during the rather longer delay when a skunk wandered onto the field while he was pitching. For some reason no one tried to shoo the skunk away - everyone just stood back and let the skunk wander off in its own good time. Once it was gone, it was back to business for Cade.

I know it’s just one game and it’s only AA ball, but I sure liked what I saw.

Online imref

« Reply #99: August 12, 2021, 03:12:39 PM »
thanks wj!  Just stay healthy Cade :pray: