Author Topic: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond  (Read 115263 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond
« Reply #2300: September 17, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2301: September 17, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
BIL gave me a soft toss on that one.

It was on a Tee. :lol:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2302: September 17, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
Yea. Right. Dude is an Eagles season ticket holder.

Those motherfreakers booed Santa Claus, all right. The minute he strikes out with the bases loaded they will unload on him. And he will have extra pressure and higher expectations because of the contract. #noclass.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2303: September 17, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
Those motherfreakers booed Santa Claus, all right. The minute he strikes out with the bases loaded they will unload on him. And he will have extra pressure and higher expectations because of the contract. #noclass.

This has zero to do with Philly being a big media market. There are tons of Phillies fans out there, and they travel well. I don't care that they are also some of the most disgraceful fans, but they show up. CBP was packed for nearly a decade during the Phillies prime years. They are starting to assemble behind their new team and new FO. Trout also grew up a Phillies fan, so he understands what they are capable of. I don't see Trout magically turning into a pumpkin just because he plays for a team where the lights are brighter. Trout will play wherever he goes, and still be Top 3 for MVP for years to come.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2304: September 17, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
It’s not for the faint of heart. Like Harper.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2305: September 17, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
This has zero to do with Philly being a big media market. There are tons of Phillies fans out there, and they travel well. I don't care that they are also some of the most disgraceful fans, but they show up. CBP was packed for nearly a decade during the Phillies prime years. They are starting to assemble behind their new team and new FO. Trout also grew up a Phillies fan, so he understands what they are capable of. I don't see Trout magically turning into a pumpkin just because he plays for a team where the lights are brighter. Trout will play wherever he goes, and still be Top 3 for MVP for years to come.

If you don't get consistent support from your home fans, you can't be a big marketing star. Now if you think he will get consistent support from Phillie no matter what then you're on to something. But what you're onto might be drugs.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2306: September 17, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »

Trout has never performed on a big stage like the postseason except for the Angels being swept in three games a while back. Who knows how will perform in the postseason if he ever makes it again.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2307: September 17, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
The New York Yankees have the defending MVP and Giancarlo Stanton and a Cy Young candidate SP.

The Boston Red Sox have this year's MVP and loads of studs.

But MLB has zero national marketing appeal. Maybe it doesn't matter if you play in a big market.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2308: September 17, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
The New York Yankees have the defending MVP and Giancarlo Stanton and a Cy Young candidate SP.

But MLB has zero national marketing appeal. Maybe it doesn't matter if you play in a big market.

Here's an interesting article on the challenges of marketing MLB.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/04/major-league-baseball-player-marketing/?productCode=WebAccessSP

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2309: September 17, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »

For those of you who believe in clutchness (I don’t), Mike Trout is the least clutch qualified hitter in baseball... :stir:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,a

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2310: September 17, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »

Makes sense, what do you market? Basketball and football highlight reals are entertaining displays of athleticism, baseball highlights are plaim boring

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2311: September 17, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
Makes sense, what do you market? Basketball and football highlight reals are entertaining displays of athleticism, baseball highlights are plaim boring
And supposedly Bryce Harper is 13th best. I'm betting that it counts walks as a positive thing.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2312: September 17, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »

Seriously? Maybe hitting highlights are boring but stellar defensive plays are a pure joy to watch.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #2313: September 17, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
For those of you who believe in clutchness (I don’t), Mike Trout is the least clutch qualified hitter in baseball... :stir:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,a

I know you are stirring the pot, but how can anyone put faith into a list that calls Freddy Galvis the fourth most clutch hitter in baseball?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2314: September 17, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »

personalities are the only way. A-Rod was a perfect villain. Jeter had the ego, charisma, iconic moments and perfect timing (baseball is way behind NFL now). Griffey had his signature look. but that was a different time. harper has the perfect combination for marketing and he's basically the only MLB guy with any national presence right now. and he had a leg up because he was hyped at age 16.

IMO it's basically because since like the mid-2000s the NFL has taken over the national sports conversation and the NBA has slotted in at #2. There are tons of great players with personalities in baseball but it's just a regional sport now.

i honestly forgot MLB was playing yesterday and i don't even watch the nfl

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2315: September 17, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Seriously? Maybe hitting highlights are boring but stellar defensive plays are a pure joy to watch.

And the stars of the game usually don’t make them- do you think Nike is going to god a campaign around Stanton defensive highlights?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2316: September 17, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
And the stars of the game usually don’t make them- do you think Nike is going to god a campaign around Stanton defensive highlights?

Roger Bernadina FTW!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2317: September 17, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »

Sure, a couple of home run robbers and bullets to home plate from the OF and you're good. Stanton is an easy sell, a good looking, smart guy who hits moons hots in NY. What's not to like? Aside from the strikeouts.:-)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #2318: September 17, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »
Many baseball stars aren't American.  When you can't do commercials speaking clear English, what American companies want you to endorse their product?

Offline blue911

« Reply #2319: September 17, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »

The fans would hitch because he wasn't endorsing Chesterfields

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2320: September 17, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
Many baseball stars aren't American.  When you can't do commercials speaking clear English, what American companies want you to endorse their product?

About 30% of MLB players are Latino so I'm not sure I buy that argument.

« Reply #2321: September 17, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
About 30% of MLB players are Latino so I'm not sure I buy that argument.

In what other major sport are there so many stars that aren't American?  My point is very much valid whether you buy it or not.  If all the Latino stars were American, you would see a lot more baseball players doing commericials in the states. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2322: September 17, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

alex ovechkin speaks amazing english!

« Reply #2323: September 17, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
alex ovechkin speaks amazing english!

To clarify, NBA and NFL are the "major sports" I'm talking about.  I live in Kentucky, hockey is not really a thing.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2324: September 17, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »
To clarify, NBA and NFL are the "major sports" I'm talking about.  I live in Kentucky, hockey is not really a thing.

i don't disagree with your overall premise - latin stars are not going to be full of national ad campaigns - but there have been loads of big-time international MLB. david ortiz, manny ramirez, sammy sosa, pablo sanchez....