Author Topic: 16/17 Offseason Thread  (Read 206984 times)

Online blue911

Re: 16/17 Offseason Thread
« Reply #175: October 19, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
Trade Espinosa for Juan Lagares.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: October 19, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
Yes, but then what do we add to make it worth the Mets while?

Offline More of #34

« Reply #177: October 19, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »
Today Boswell suggested getting Desmond for center field, put Trea at shortstop, have Severino (sp?) catch and sign Melancon to a long-term deal.  I think those are all good suggestions.

Online Slateman

« Reply #178: October 19, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »
Today Boswell suggested getting Desmond for center field, put Trea at shortstop, have Severino (sp?) catch and sign Melancon to a long-term deal.  I think those are all good suggestions.
Desmond reverted to old Desmond in the second half. No thanks.
Trea to shortstop is fine
I think Severino could be a full time starter, but we're going to use Lobaton a lot to start the season
No  to Melancon.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #179: October 19, 2016, 09:34:54 PM »

I agree with Boswell. Desmond is probably better than any other CF the Nats could get. Melancon is better than OK. Nats need a couple of starting pitchers, because Lopez and Giolito were not ready, Ross is still a four-inning starter, and Gio should be number 6 or 7 in a good rotation.

Nats also need a strong hitter: corner OF or 1B.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #180: October 19, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
I agree with Boswell. Desmond is probably better than any other CF the Nats could get.
Depends on whether Dexter Fowler hits the market or not. If he does, they should make a strong push.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #181: October 19, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »
Depends on whether Dexter Fowler hits the market or not. If he does, they should make a strong push.
Yes to Fowler.

Online Slateman

« Reply #182: October 19, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
Desmond's second half: .237/.283/.347

No thanks

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #183: October 19, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »

No thanks
Even one season is a small sample size; a half season really less so.  The issue is whether or not he was making more contact and cutting down on his swing with two strikes.  Also, can he improve as a CF--that one play in the playoffs was weak but only just one play.  I would rather have Fowler and would take Desmond as a back up plan if they don't need to sign him for too long. 

The in house options are bad.  Looks like Taylor will never figure it out.  Revere is no good.  Goodwin does not appear to be more than a back-up.  Need to mover Turner to SS.

Online Slateman

« Reply #184: October 19, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »
Even one season is a small sample size; a half season really less so.  The issue is whether or not he was making more contact and cutting down on his swing with two strikes.  Also, can he improve as a CF--that one play in the playoffs was weak but only just one play.  I would rather have Fowler and would take Desmond as a back up plan if they don't need to sign him for too long. 

The in house options are bad.  Looks like Taylor will never figure it out.  Revere is no good.  Goodwin does not appear to be more than a back-up.  Need to mover Turner to SS.

Desmond hit .244/.302/.407 his last two seasons here. The first half in Texas is the small sample size

Revere is a career .285 hitter, with a 9% K rate who can steal 40 bases

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #185: October 19, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
Desmond hit .244/.302/.407 his last two seasons here. The first half in Texas is the small sample size

Revere is a career .285 hitter, with a 9% K rate who can steal 40 bases

Revere is a career .285 hitter with an OBP not much higher than that and absolutely no power.  Doesn't take good routes to balls in many cases (although he is better than he was).  And a noodle arm.

The question with Desmond is whether he is getting any better.  No one would have thought that Murphy could change from a decent slap hitter to a HR and double bashing MVP candidate.  The idea is to know what they will do in the future.  I didn't see enough of him this year to know whether or not his approach has improved.  That's why MLB teams have scouts. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #186: October 19, 2016, 10:08:57 PM »
Revere is a career .285 hitter with an OBP not much higher than that and absolutely no power.  Doesn't take good routes to balls in many cases (although he is better than he was).  And a noodle arm.

The question with Desmond is whether he is getting any better.  No one would have thought that Murphy could change from a decent slap hitter to a HR and double bashing MVP candidate.  The idea is to know what they will do in the future.  I didn't see enough of him this year to know whether or not his approach has improved.  That's why MLB teams have scouts. 

I will gladly take the .300 hitter, 40 steal player Revere has been the last three seasons, over Desmond. I'm not willing to spend 50+ million to find out if Desmond's first half was a fluke. He's a free swinging, high strikeout player who wasn't anything special in CF.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #187: October 19, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »
I will gladly take the .300 hitter, 40 steal player Revere has been the last three seasons, over Desmond. I'm not willing to spend 50+ million to find out if Desmond's first half was a fluke. He's a free swinging, high strikeout player who wasn't anything special in CF.
I will take a career. 743 OPS over a career .662 OPS every time.  Probably a wash defensively.  And, BTW, Desmond had 21 steals this year.  Revers can be the fourth or fifth OF this year.

Online Slateman

« Reply #188: October 19, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
I will take a career. 743 OPS over a career .662 OPS every time.  Probably a wash defensively.  And, BTW, Desmond had 21 steals this year.  Revers can be the fourth or fifth OF this year.
Literally the dumbest freaking argument. Desmond is a strikeout machine who got lucky for half a season. He sucks. Literally everyone saw this and were ecstatic when he turned town the Nationals' offer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #189: October 19, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »
Literally the dumbest freaking argument. Desmond is a strikeout machine who got lucky for half a season. He sucks. Literally everyone saw this and were ecstatic when he turned town the Nationals' offer.

IF OPS is unimportant why do so many use it? Should we discount it totally just because it does not support your case. Or are SBs the new magic stat and we need Revere because theoretically he could steal bases if he could get on base?

Desmond cut his strike outs from 187 to 160 last year with almost 40 more plate appearances.  The joy over his leaving was not just the Ks; it was his errors.  That's why your boy Danny got the job this year and held it with just as many strike outs. 

Like I said I would rather have Fowler but Desmond would not be a bad option of the price is right. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #190: October 19, 2016, 11:21:14 PM »
At no point when Desmond was tearing it up did I wish the Nationals had kept him.

He regressed back to normalcy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #191: October 19, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
At no point when Desmond was tearing it up did I wish the Nationals had kept him.

He regressed back to normalcy.
I would rather see him in CF than Revere. Or Michael K.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #192: October 19, 2016, 11:28:38 PM »

Setting the bar pretty low...

Rizzo needs to start dealing...this team he has constructed is gonna suck big time in 2017 if he doesn't...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #193: October 19, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »
Setting the bar pretty low...

Rizzo needs to start dealing...this team he has constructed is gonna suck big time in 2017 if he doesn't...
Agree. Trea to SS improves that position.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #194: October 19, 2016, 11:33:18 PM »

No thanks

Desmond has had a long track record of being a streaky player though. Outsode of 2012 hlthere have been long stretches of him being dumpster fire bad.

My FA wishlist is Fowler and Melancon.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #195: October 19, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »
Desmond has had a long track record of being a streaky player though. Outsode of 2012 hlthere have been long stretches of him being dumpster fire bad.

My FA wishlist is Fowler and Melancon.

I'm hoping for fowler and chapman with a trade for Kimbrel and holt.
 Partial salary dump for the sox allows them to pursue Jansen etc. 

Also Bret Cecil.  Check him out.  Solis and Perez scare me

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #196: October 20, 2016, 01:10:38 AM »
The rangers are probably going to make a qualifying offer to Desi which makes him even less attractive to me. I didn't think his defense in CF was anything special. I really want Rizzo to trade for Blackmon or Pollack even if the cost is one or two highly rated prospects. Boz assumes that Espy has some sort of trade value. I can't think of any team that screams like a good fit for him as a trade partner. I'm sure that while he would be a defensive upgrade for a small handful of teams, those teams probably have a SS that can actually hit the ball which makes him useless unless there's a team that values him as a late inning defensive replacement sub.

Online Slateman

« Reply #197: October 20, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
And most here would not. The Nationals do not need another low average, low OBP, high strikeout bat. Particularly on a big contract that costs a lot of money and a draft pick.
I'm hoping for fowler and chapman with a trade for Kimbrel and holt.
 Partial salary dump for the sox allows them to pursue Jansen etc. 

Also Bret Cecil.  Check him out.  Solis and Perez scare me
Solis is awesome. Perez is a LOOGY

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #198: October 20, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »

I'm still holding out hope that they offer arby to Revere and he can turn it around.  Move Turner back to SS and Danny to the bench.  Danny can actually be a useful backup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #199: October 20, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
And most here would not. The Nationals do not need another low average, low OBP, high strikeout bat. Particularly on a big contract that costs a lot of money and a draft pick.
The complaint around here, constantly, has been strikeouts and lack of contact.  People argue about a hitter's average rather than OBP when talking about an ability to get.  I'm not sure Desmond solves the problem.  Revere is a bad option, too. 

I agree we want to move Turner to SS, but we need another disciplined hitter who is an adequate defensive CF.  Who, I don't know, absent some sort of big deal.  I could maybe live with Harper for a year in CF if there were a good RF available, because Harper's bat is so much better than most CFs that it could carry the defensive downgrade (maybe). I've liked Reddick if we were looking for a corner outfielder, but there may be better options.