Author Topic: 16/17 Offseason Thread  (Read 208661 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: 16/17 Offseason Thread
« Reply #25: October 14, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
It has to be a CF.  Turner is not an outfielder.
That's preferable.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #26: October 14, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »
Any chance Revere can rebound?  It would be great to have the non-2016 Revere in the lineup with Turner playing SS.

Offline bk1998

« Reply #27: October 14, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
There's a very real possibility that the window has closed, or at least is just open by a crack.

A few thoughts:

Zimmerman and Werth will be another year older on the wrong side of their peak. They aren't going anywhere.

Assuming Turner moves to SS, CF is a need.

Catcher is a need.

The bullpen, yet again, needs a piece or two... a closer at least.

There's a non-zero chance that Stras is headed for another Tommy John.

The ownership shows no interest in adding payroll without significant deferals. Those deferals will catch up to the organization soon, as payments become due. You can't play on debt forever.

Harper's gotta improve... I'm sure the rumors of injury will be substantiated soon. There's hope there.

What does normal look like from Rendon?  That's huge moving ahead.

There are worse problems to have, but nothing that screams progress right now. The bullets have basically all been fired. What you see is what you get.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #28: October 14, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Any chance Revere can rebound?  It would be great to have the non-2016 Revere in the lineup with Turner playing SS.

If you have to pay one of Danny or Revere, I still think I go Danny, but make it known that he's not starting more than anything in a pinch. Revere is dookie. So is Danny, but it's okay, throw him in there at CF and see how he does!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: October 14, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
Yes. A very good chance. Revere suffered the same injury Rendon did in 2015. It took Rendon all season to recover. Revere will bounce back and hit ~.300. Perfect for the number 8 hitter in this lineup.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #30: October 14, 2016, 09:49:55 AM »
Go after Desmond for CF.  Turner to SS. 

Offline bk1998

« Reply #31: October 14, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »

I dunno.  His second half numbers weren't so good and could suggest that his first half is the outlier.

Post-break Ian, 2016:  .237/.283/.347

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #32: October 14, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »
I dunno.  His second half numbers weren't so good and could suggest that his first half is the outlier.

Post-break Ian, 2016:  .237/.283/.347

Yeah, he basically had a horrible first month, a really good 1-2 months, and then a mediocre rest of the season. Really streaky, as always.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: October 14, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
One big time reliever, hopefully a closer type who can is willing to be used more flexibly. Maybe a second bullpen piece (righty) if Kelley is done.  I think the rest of the bullpen is set with Treinen, Solis, Perez, Grace, and one of the 4 arms at the top of the organization (Lopez, Cole, Ross, Giolito).  One of the latter 4 will be in the rotation, another in AAA, and the 4th is trade bait.

Catcher is obvious, and either a CF or SS. 

I think the rotation is somewhat set with Scherzer and Roark, Gio (unless another lefty is acquired), and one of the 4 top organization arms (Ross or Lopez, probably).  This is predicated on Strasburg being healthy, which I think is a question mark.  The thing is, they need a healthy #4-5 guy who can eat innings, maybe with a slightly worse than average ERA.  That could be enough if Strasburg is marginal.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #34: October 14, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »
Sign Melancon for another year.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #35: October 14, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »
That's a good question. He posted a .306/.334/.365 line from 2013 through 2015 with over 100 stolen bases. If he were to come back and even hit around .280/.325/.350 with good speed on the base paths then it's worth going to arbitration. It's a pretty empty batting line but the speed and the fact he is in center field, our perennial pain in the ass position, makes it worth keeping him while our center fielders down in the minors continue developing.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: October 14, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
No.

One big time reliever, hopefully a closer type who can is willing to be used more flexibly. Maybe a second bullpen piece (righty) if Kelley is done.  I think the rest of the bullpen is set with Treinen, Solis, Perez, Grace, and one of the 4 arms at the top of the organization (Lopez, Cole, Ross, Giolito).  One of the latter 4 will be in the rotation, another in AAA, and the 4th is trade bait.

I think the rotation is somewhat set with Scherzer and Roark, Gio (unless another lefty is acquired), and one of the 4 top organization arms (Ross or Lopez, probably).  This is predicated on Strasburg being healthy, which I think is a question mark.  The thing is, they need a healthy #4-5 guy who can eat innings, maybe with a slightly worse than average ERA.  That could be enough if Strasburg is marginal.
I think Severino is fine at catcher.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #37: October 14, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »

The back of the bullpen scares me. I was ready to go into next season with Kelly at closer but...

I really want the Nationals to go find one more solid back of the rotation innings eater. Maybe Latos is that guy next year. I'm still high on Giolito and Lopez but this year's Nats showed how a couple injuries combined with a slumping starter can be a pain in the ass.

I'm happy with Severino behind plate backed up by Lobaton. I'd like more pop but catcher is a defensive position and Severino gives us that. And unlike most catchers he isn't a liability when he makes it to first. Would rather spend that money somewhere else.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #38: October 14, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
Chapman won't cost a draft pick. Fine with that. Still going to harp for a trade for Blackmon or CarGo. There's not much as far a FA SPs go, so that's going to have to be internal or through a trade. I'm not against keeping Gio (ducks from rocks being thrown).

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #39: October 14, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »
Sign Melancon for another year.

Sign Melancon AND Chapman

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #40: October 14, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
Really think we need to trade for a big-time catcher and a legit center fielder. Revere is a 4th outfielder, not a top-of-the-order guy on a contending team. There should be a number of catchers and CFers available on the trade market ... find a way, Rizzo. The free agent market is very weak.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: October 14, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
Quit with the white whale hunts and trade "wins" and get serious about redefining the identity of the offense.  They likely got the max out of Harper, Werth, Zimmmm, and Rendon so now is the time to build around the guys that are left - Murphy and Turner.  If Harper comes back and hits again great, if not at least you got an MVP season out of him.  There being zero impact bats in the minors should be a major concern for this organization but it appears as long as they can keep "winning" trades that shouldn't happen they're not concerned. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #42: October 14, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
Quit with the white whale hunts and trade "wins" and get serious about redefining the identity of the offense.  They likely got the max out of Harper, Werth, Zimmmm, and Rendon so now is the time to build around the guys that are left - Murphy and Turner.  If Harper comes back and hits again great, if not at least you got an MVP season out of him.  There being zero impact bats in the minors should be a major concern for this organization but it appears as long as they can keep "winning" trades that shouldn't happen they're not concerned. 

So even in a losing trade, who would you want? I'm still white whale hunting, cause this series provided Trea's not a CF. Good plays were made from his speed, but bad ones from his instincts. Upgrading in CF also = an upgrade at SS, so win-win!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #43: October 14, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
Really think we need to trade for a big-time catcher and a legit center fielder. Revere is a 4th outfielder, not a top-of-the-order guy on a contending team. There should be a number of catchers and CFers available on the trade market ... find a way, Rizzo. The free agent market is very weak.

The Boston connection makes too much sense

Offline Monarch

« Reply #44: October 14, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »
I find it a bit depressing (pretty much the theme of the day) that we can't pencil in at least one of Cole, Giolito or Lopez into the rotation next season. Its even more depressing that we can't pencil in any of the Minor League position players into the lineup next season.

We only have Werth for one more season. I think I can live with that even though he stunk last night.

Zimmerman is the bigger problem. He was mostly healthy this season and wasn't very good. Its the position that seeminly every other team gets power from. He's signed until 2021 I think. Unless he retires before then I don't know what we do with him unless we just tell him we're upgrading and he's the new Clint Robinson. With Rizzo and Dusty at the healm I don't see that happening. At least not for another 2 years.

Espi - another Rizzo favorite. I don't see him going anywhere. Rizzo said on the radio yesterday about his 24 HR power, and 20 SB potential every year at a postion that doesn't typically produce those kinds of numbers.

Catcher - Ramos won't be ready, but I think we offer him a team friendly deal that gives him another shot at a pending FA deal in 2018 while he comes back next year. Roll with Severino until then. Thats just my opinion though and I suppose we could go a lot of different directions there. I'm not sure what the FA market for C's is.

CF - I don't know what to do here. I suppose it depends on where we want Turner to play going forward. Revere could maybe come back and revert to form. I remember being pretty pumped when we got him last off season.

BP - its a mess. I hope we sign Melancon and replace everyone else.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #45: October 14, 2016, 10:50:17 AM »
We just can't go into 2017 with Michael A. Taylor as our starting CF. What was his K rate, like 40%? I hope Revere can be productive next year but that's a big unknown. Werth's not going anywhere. Zim's not going anywhere. I'm fine with a catching platoon of Severino and Lobaton. I think we need a centerfielder who can push Trea to SS and Danny to the bench or out of the organization.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #46: October 14, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
Mike Rizzo for Goldie and Pollack?

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #47: October 14, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
We just can't go into 2017 with Michael A. Taylor as our starting CF. What was his K rate, like 40%? I hope Revere can be productive next year but that's a big unknown. Werth's not going anywhere. Zim's not going anywhere. I'm fine with a catching platoon of Severino and Lobaton. I think we need a centerfielder who can push Trea to SS and Danny to the bench or out of the organization.

Revere and Espinosa should be traded or non-tenders. If they aren't Rizzo should be sent to Abu Dhabi immediately. They don't deserve major league jobs and have proved it, no needing for anyone else to push them out.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #48: October 14, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
Revere and Espinosa should be traded or non-tenders. 

I disagree about Revere.  He's a likely rebound candidate.  He showed plenty in previous years where as Espinosa had a great two weeks worth of homeruns once...

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #49: October 14, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Sign closer, sign top flight CF, insert Turner at short, dump Zimmerman unless he shows major improvement by spring, dump Espinosa, sign another top flight starter, sign top flight left handed reliever, fix Harper and Strasburg of all their ailments and if they're not 100% by spring trade them for whatever you can get. Keep Werth as 4th outfielder, so trade or sign top flight left fielder.  Sign or trade for top flight 1st baseman if Zimmerman is dumped.  Consider trading Giolito.  Sign or trade for a few more top flight bench players to upgrade depth...  trade minor league system if necessary to achieve all these things.

Sacrifice future to win now.  Because it's starting to look like tomorrow never comes.  WIN now, let tomorrow take care of itself.   If Rizzo can't do it because it's against his philosophy, fire Rizzo and his philosphy along with him. 

Fire Henley, consider firing Dusty although I think we might be alright keeping him.  Consider firing Rick Schu.

The whole team appears to have been constructed to win in the regular season, from players, to coaching, to high-level management.  That is cute when you're a team used to 100 loss seasons, but not anymore.  Screw the regular season.

Win in 2017.