Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2015)  (Read 113888 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2015)
« Reply #1650: July 30, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
Was that his longest hr in the majors?

HR tracker had it at "only" 420. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1652: July 31, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »
Back-and-forth about people who are not Bryce Harper has been split off.  I understand there is occasionally some relevance, but the at-length discussion was getting a bit out of hand.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1653: July 31, 2015, 09:48:49 PM »
Back-and-forth about people who are not Bryce Harper has been split off.  I understand there is occasionally some relevance, but the at-length discussion was getting a bit out of hand.

:clap:

Offline PC

« Reply #1654: August 01, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »

Offline Matugi

« Reply #1655: August 01, 2015, 12:14:00 AM »
He shouldn't have blown up but Christ that's almost a foot and a half outside.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #1656: August 01, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
yeah, the calls sucked.  Yeah, when the ump makes bad calls, he removes the talent factor from the game on that pitch and neutralizes his abilities.  Yea, he should have not got himself kicked out of the game.

But what are you going to do about any of that!

Offline PC

« Reply #1657: August 01, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
The people who say they have to put up with crap on their jobs, and they take it, Bryce needs to do the same.

There are constraints, bounds that everyone should agree to that make working amenable to everyone.  In Bryce's workplace, calling that pitch, "strike 3" is outside those limits.  This is like going to work on Monday and having your boss crap on your lap.  It's that far outside the bounds.

Remember this wasn't just a strike call.  He rung him up on that call.

Offline Optics

« Reply #1658: August 01, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
There are no relevant or fair comparisons to be made between our jobs and Harpers job. Pro sports are a different world that require a different mentality.

Harper has to keep himself in the game. Its that simple. Yes, the call sucked. Nobody is arguing otherwise. But it simply...doesn't...matter. You're Bryce Harper. You have a history, a reputation for arguing calls. You won't get the leeway other guys get. You turn around and yell at the ump, you are OUT of the game. Harper HAS to know that. He is by far the most important player on the team. If he's not hitting we have NO CHANCE of beating anyone.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get angry. You can get mad and not yell at the ump. Walk away. Stomp around in the dug out. Go throw some bats in the clubhouse. Maybe the team can buy him a punching bag to beat on when he loses his cool, anything to keep yourself in the game.

No other player acts like this. You think Harper is the only guy in baseball who gets the occasional bad call? He needs to man up and stop being a baby.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #1659: August 01, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
He shouldn't have blown up but Christ that's almost a foot and a half outside.

?  Not sure how you're getting a foot and a half. It's more like 4 inches. Clearly outside, but there are several calls that much off every game. His reaction was totally out of control, and the ump even gave him a chance to walk away. I was way more upset with Bryce for losing it than with the ump. It was because he was 0 for 4 and clearly frustrated. He's obviously having a great season but he needs to grow up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1660: August 01, 2015, 12:43:04 AM »
that pitch was like a 6 tops.

Offline PC

« Reply #1661: August 01, 2015, 12:47:14 AM »
?  Not sure how you're getting a foot and a half. It's more like 4 inches. Clearly outside, but there are several calls that much off every game. His reaction was totally out of control, and the ump even gave him a chance to walk away. I was way more upset with Bryce for losing it than with the ump. It was because he was 0 for 4 and clearly frustrated. He's obviously having a great season but he needs to grow up.

There's a horizontal and vertical scale, in feet, on the left and bottom of the image.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #1662: August 01, 2015, 01:01:02 AM »
There's a horizontal and vertical scale, in feet, on the left and bottom of the image.

Yes, exactly, with the feet measured from the center of the plate.  The edge of the plate is already at about 1.0, and strike three was at about 1.3, or .3 feet (4 inches) off the plate.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1663: August 01, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1664: August 01, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »
For those of you on Williams's case for his bench use and failure to pull Rivero at the start of the 12th, the Harper ejection led to Williams having to use every bench guy except Ramos by the last out of the 11th.  Williams could have done a double switch at that point, with the pitcher taking Lobaton's spot and Ramos hitting 9th were he to go to Thornton, Janssen, or Paps for the 12th, but he would have had to use a pitcher in the field or PH if there were an injury, ejection, or other need to substitute.  Just an amazingly bad action by Harper to get ejected in a tie game against your closest division rival at their ballpark.  Thank goodness he's not a 9-1-1 operator with kid who says WTF in the middle of a call.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1666: August 01, 2015, 09:35:12 AM »
Those who bring up the issue of the bad call .... shut up.  I mean, SHUT THE freak UP! Totally irrelevant.  Harper is an immature little piss-ant of little brain. Enormous talent, but his talent is outweighed by his stupidity. Last night wasn't the first time his behavior led to an ejection, it was at least the third, just this season alone. His childish behavior was a major factor in last night's loss. 

Offline Optics

« Reply #1667: August 01, 2015, 09:39:16 AM »
Those who bring up the issue of the bad call .... shut up.  I mean, SHUT THE freak UP! Totally irrelevant.  Harper is an immature little piss-ant of little brain. Enormous talent, but his talent is outweighed by his stupidity. Last night wasn't the first time his behavior led to an ejection, it was at least the third, just this season alone. His childish behavior was a major factor in last night's loss.

Agreed.

People act like Harper is the only guy who has ever gotten a bad call. He hasn't. He's just the only one who continues to act like a spoiled child when he does.

But his play last night was just terrible. Not advancing Werth after his leadoff double, instead swinging and grounding out in literally the worst spot possible on the first pitch, and just continued bad AB after bad AB. Matt Harvey is in his head at this point and he'll never get a hit off him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1668: August 01, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
Enormous talent, but his talent is outweighed by his stupidity.
Uh, I would definitely say that his talent is more important than his stupidity.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1669: August 01, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
Two facts we can all agree about:

1) Harper cannot get tossed. It's on him.
2) Umpires cannot do their jobs. It's on them.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1670: August 01, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
Seems fair. I don't think umps should be calling balls and strikes. The technology exists to do it more accurately.

And Bryce must control himself better.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1671: August 01, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
I don't think umps should be calling balls and strikes. The technology exists to do it more accurately.

It's going to happen. Not if, but when. The technology has revealed the incompetence of the umpires.

For me, baseball would be the perfect sport it wasn't for the umpires.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1672: August 01, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »

I feel that the bad umpiring is irrelevant. If there is identifiable bias, then complain.  Otherwise, for every bad call against you, there is an equal but opposite bad call against the other guy.  Think about that when you get a bad call instead of taking it personally.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1673: August 01, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
I feel that the bad umpiring is irrelevant. If there is identifiable bias, then complain.  Otherwise, for every bad call against you, there is an equal but opposite bad call against the other guy.  Think about that wheen you get a bad call instead of taking it personally.

Completely disagree. Are you saying that it's bad for everybody so it evens out? First of all, it may not even out over the course of a particular game but I leave that to the smart math types to figure out.

But it's more about the integrity of the game. If the umpires are effing up left and right, it makes the game a bit of a charade.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #1674: August 01, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
Uh, I would definitely say that his talent is more important than his stupidity.

LOL yup.